Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Philadelphia Army-Navy Game Pub Transportation Help

Old Nov 30th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to Phila on Saturday to tailgate, see the game, and spend the night. Wives will be spending their time at Franklin Mills doing their favorite thing -- shopping.

There will be about 6-8 of us, and none of us have tickets -- I understand they will be easy to get from scalpers, but the ticket price this year is around $52.

While planning for food/beverage last night, the thought entered our mind that once the game starts, maybe we'll just pack up the cars and catch the subway/train into Phila and do some pub crawling.

I know there is a new sports bar in downtown Phila -- we watched the game from there last year. Can't remember the name -- as you walked in, big screen and seating area to the left.

What train/subway line do we take from the stadium to get downtown? What stop do we get off at? Any recommendations for places/pubs to watch the game from in the general downtown area?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 09:33 AM

Wish I could help with the transportation question, but I'll be watching the game from a large party. Good luck to you. And... Go Navy, Beat Army!
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 09:47 AM

To get from the stadium to center city, take the Broad Street line. It's the subway, not the SEPTA commuter train lines. Buy tokens.
You'll know where to get off at the stadiums, when heading back up get off at City Hall/Market Street. You can change there to the Market Street line (if you wanted to get to Old city this would be a good idea).

I can't imagine what "new" sports bar you could talking about. For some reason I'm picturing Champions near 12th & Market, but that's not new and not very special.
Since you're down by the stadiums, you could walk over to the new baseball stadium and go to the sports bar in there. I've heard good things about it.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 10:35 AM

The restaurant/bar at the ball park is McFadden's, which is near the 3rd base gate. There's also a Chickie and Pete's down that way: www.chickiesandpetes.com/page/page/793135.htm.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

pb_and_j, I just remember there was an Irish Pub (don't remember the name) on one corner, and around the corner, a block or two (south?) was this sports bar. Now this was last year and someone steered us towards it. Said it was pretty new.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Maybe a couple of blocks down from Fado's on the corner of Spruce & 15th???
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 08:26 AM

Hmmm...

Sounds like the Fox & the hound? That is new and probably has some large TVs somewhere. I just wouldn't categorize it as a sports bar. More like a cavernous, chain-type Irish bar wannabe.
McGillans near 13th & Sansom (down a little alley called Drury) is better.
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 03:46 AM

From the restaurant column in this morning's paper . . .

'Tony Luke's sandwich stand, on Oregon Avenue near Front Street in South Philly, now has company: Tony Luke's Beef & Beer Sports Bar, in a new building across the street (26 E. Oregon Ave., 215-465-1901). It's open daily from 11 a.m. to 1 a.m.'

Don't know if you're looking specifically for downtown, but TL's has great food.
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

dbenya, thanks. I was just going to top this.

It looks like a hike from the stadium -- on the other side of I-76. Is there subway transportation there?
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 10:20 AM

The stadium would be closer to Broad (aka 14th street, where the subway lines are). Tony Luke's would be near Front (aka 1st Street). So you're right -- it would be a hike and not a scenic one at that. Sorry.

Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks.

Anybody else? The ideal thing would be to hop on subway at stadium, take subway downtown, arrive at destination ????, exit subway station, enter nice pub. Walking a couple of blocks is not out of the question.
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 11:04 AM

Here's the link to the map for the subway. http://www.septa.com/maps/broad_street.html

You're going to want to get off at the Walnut-Locust stop. You could go to the Fox & Hound at 15th & Spruce. Alternatively, go down to Dave & Busters on the waterfront and watch the game there.
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:40 PM
yk

Budman-

I am quite sure the "new" sports bar is Fox & Hound at 15th & Spruce. I used to live around the corner, and it is 1 block from Fado (15th & Locust). And yes, the TV screens are on the wall on the L hand side as you walk into the restaurant.

The Subway station is about 1-2 blocks from Fox & Hound on Broad Street.
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

buongiorno and yk, I believe Fox & Hound is the place I was thinking. Thanks for your help.

From the Stadium to Walnut & Locust, SEPTA/subway are they both the same line, getting off at Walnut & Locust?
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:18 AM
yk

Budman-

I am not 100% sure, as I have never taken the Broad St line subway. But yes, I believe it is the same station and just get off at Walnut/Locust. You may want to ask at the subway station to be sure.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:20 AM

There's the Market Street line, which runs east to west, and the Broad Street Line, which runs north to south. The two lines intersect where the streets do -- underneath City Hall. This should lead you to the SEPTA schedule you're looking for: http://www.septa.org/news/press_rele...s_express.html
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:42 PM

Septa is just the municipal operator of the system. You want the Broad Street Line of the system. Maybee you should watch getting too slopped up at the tailgate party. It's should be a police extravaganza out there as well, President Bush will be attending the game.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Pesto, thanks for the tip about Pres Bush attending the game. Security will be tight, and it will be tough to sneak beers into the stadium. I knew I should have bought those bar-noculars last weekend.

It's looking more & more like heading downtown after tailgating. Once I get my bearings from last year, I remember a great oyster bar that we'll have to hit up.

Thanks everyone for your help!!

Go Navy, Beat Army!