Reload this Page >

Philadelphia advice??

Search

Philadelphia advice??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 06:56 AM
Anna

Philadelphia advice??

Going to be in the Philadelphia area on Saturday, and am considering spending the night in the city. Any suggestions on a decent hotel in the city in the $100 range? Am I being overly optimistic? Doesn't need to be fancy.

Any restaurants suggestions? And even though I'm a native Pennsylvania, I've never had a cheesesteak in Philadelphia. Where's the best place to go?

Also, since I'm only going to be there for one day (Saturday afternoon to Sunday morning), what are the main sights I should hit?

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 12:01 PM
Vince

Anna, I've lived in the Philadelphia area for nearly 8 years. Try to find a hotel as close to the 'Olde Town' as possible as this is where a lot of activities on Saturday night take place - outside cafes, people walking the street until very late, etc. If you have a chance, try to see the Rittenhouse Square area (about 45 minutes walk from the Olde Town). If you're accompanied by someone else, you may want to explore the Penn's Landing area, however its not very inviting to walking around at night nowadays.

Sorry, no advice on hotel prices or best cheesestakes.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 12:08 PM
Lily

Since I live in the Philly area I don't really have any good hotel suggestions, but I do have some others.
Depending on what time you get in on Saturday, but I suggest the Reading Terminal Market as a great place to go and grab some food. There's a good cheesesteak place on the side that borders 12th street. Also, if you're not in the mood for anything else, you'll certainly find it there. They close at 6pm, so you should try to hit it for lunch if you can.

There are some great dinner options too depending on your price range. On the higher end you could try someplace like Buddakan or Tangerine. They're both pretty interesting. You'll need to get reservations though. My favorite place that is cheaper is in Chinatown and is called Vietnam. (11th street, north of Race, south of Vine) Lines can get a bit long on a Saturday night, but it is totally worth it and you can probably get out of there for less than $15/person. (And that's if you eat a whole heck of a lot of food.)

In terms of site seeing, since you don't have a whole lot of time, I'd probably go with the historic stuff. (Liberty Bell, Independance Hall etc) That's the stuff you really can't see anywhere else. Or, if you want to look at funky shops and lots of kids with green hair and tongue rings you can go down to South St and walk around there for a bit.

Oh, how could I forget? The Art Museum is free if you get there before noon (or is it 1pm?) on Sunday mornings, so if you have time you could go there too. Depending on where you stay it may be a bit out of the way, but it's wonderful and worth the effort.

Hope you have a great time!

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Susan

I think Park Rangers anywhere in the country give great lectures. I would go to the historical square with the liberty bell and listen. Also you want to tour the colonial courthouses near by, interesting history. The Omni is near this square and often has great weekend stay deals and the like. We were with kids who asked six sense (the movie) related question. While I am on the question, anyone know what restaurant that is in the sixth sense where Bruce Willis's character meets his wife for dinner (but not really)? We had a hoot and got some movie filming info from park rangers. They dispelled the myth that people were hung in their courthouse. We joking whispered that the rangers were the ancestors of the tormentors and most likely concealing info from us.

Philadelphia is a great city and often gets over shadowed by NYC. The suggestions above for Penns Landing, Reading Terminal Market are great. There is also a Greenwhich Village type area, I forget the name (South Street?). I would take two nights and explore the city. Why has noone mentioned the Franklin institute or is this largely for children? I think you have all made me interested in a weekend trip. Thanks for the tips.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 02:57 PM
Amy

Welcome to Philadelphia! Do try for a hotel in the historic district, like the Sheraton Society Hill or even the Marriott; there are some B&B's as well, but I'm not sure on any of the prices, sorry!
I'd go to the Reading Terminal Market for the cheesesteak, as that way you can take in some of the other places there, as well. Of course Pat's and Geno's are the classics, but they're not right in downtown area. Jim's on South St. is another suggestion.
Fork is one of my favorite restaurants. You'll need reservations, though, most likely. Also good is the Imperial Inn in Chinatown. Ralph's in South Philly is an Italian institution with great fettuccine alfredo and such.
If you've never been to the historic sites, they would be first, I'd guess, but there is much to do: if the weather is nice, Philadelphia is a very walkable place and the Visitor's Center at 16th and JFK should be able to help you out with some good routes. The Art Museum, Rodin Museum, U of PA Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, and Franklin Institute are all worth a visit if you'd rather be inside. Shopping at Liberty Place is nice, and as a previous poster mentioned, the South Street area is unique.
Have a great trip, and be prepared for some heat! (Come again and see us in October for our best face;-)

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 03:13 PM
jhm

I think the Franklin Institute is fabulous and definitely worth a look. Other favorite Philly things: the Rodin Museum on the Parkway (on your way out to the Art Museum); Franklin Court (where it shows you where Franklin lived and worked, with great film); the Bourse (used to be the Philadelphia stock exchange, now is a shopping arcade); Ritz theaters (movie theaters with great art-house films); UPenn (in West Philly -- go up there to check out the beautiful campus and the Furness buildings); Pennsylvania Academy of Arts on Broad and Cherry; my favorite coffee in the world at La Colombe off Rittenhouse Square...

Pat's cheesesteaks are probably most "authentic." Tony Luke's cheesesteaks (I may have this wrong, since I don't eat cheesesteaks) are right in Center City; whereas Pat's is more authentic but is a little out of the way.

The restaurant in Sixth Sense, by the way, where Bruce Willis meets his wife for dinner is Striped Bass, a fabulous seafood restaurant on Walnut Street in Center City. An excellent, pricey place.

I think I'd recommend a morning in the historic area -- Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, The Bourse, Franklin Court -- and an afternoon around Center City (particularly Rittenhouse Square area), with a trip over the Schuylkill (pronounced Skoo-kuhl) to Penn. Have a great time!

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 11:04 AM
Anna

Thanks so much for the advice.

So would you advise against staying in the Rittenhouse Square area (was looking at the Sheraton there--the only room available at the Society Hill Sheraton is $3,000 a night!)? Is it too far away from everything else?

Found a couple of B&Bs. One's at Ten Eleven Clinton Street (they say it's a 5-minute walk to the historic district), and the other is in the University District. I'm shying away from the latter, because a friend who went to Penn for medical school told me how he was mugged 12 times before he graduated. Is this an accurate picture of that area, or am I being silly?
My only memory of the Schuylkill river is when I was 12 years old. My family was stuck in traffic on a bridge over the river, and my brother and I jumped out to see why we were just sitting. We were treated to seeing a dead body floating in the river.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 11:30 AM
Amy

Rittenhouse Square is a lovely area. It's about a 10-12 block walk to the historic district. (Notice I say walk--you could drive it, but you might have to walk that far for parking!)
Daytime, University City area is not really a problem, but it's not really that close for the limited time you have. The Holiday Inn at 4th and Market might be worth a look, too.
Happy travels!

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 11:43 AM
Frank

Anna: Stay in the Historic or Rittenhouse Square areas. Rittenhouse is our favorite with lots of shop and restaurants. (5-10 minutes taxi from historic area). Call Quikbook at 1-800-789-9887 and check for a good price with them. I have used them many times in Philadelphia and was very pleased, they handle all the major hotels and at a discounted rate. They have had particularly good rates at the Sofitel $79 but that is with advanced notice. We have stay at many of the city hotels and like them in this order:

Marriott (convention center)
Bellevue at Park Hyatt
Latham
Warwick
Loews
Sheraton Society Hill
Omni

The Four Seasons is out of the way unless you are doing the mueseums as the primary attraction.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 01:08 PM
AC

Hi Anna:
I recently stayed at the Sheraton Rittenhouse...it was lovely...I got a great price on a club level room. i got it on their website under internet specials. I paid $119.00. The area was lovely...I'll pull up the thread from when I orginally posted...