Search

Pentagon

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pentagon

My family (husband, 11yo & 8yo daughters) are leaving for our first trip to DC later this week. I have been scouring the internet and reading all the postings about what everyone has done or recommends but I still have a few questions. Can you visit the Pentagon and take pictures from the outside since the tours are no longer offered? Is there parking or is it best to take the Metro? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 12:51 PM
LN

This info is from the Pentagon and as you can see there's no tours any longer except for select groups. You'd have to call the number listed as to the parking facilities. The parking lots are quite guarded now since 9/11.

Tour Information
Tours of the Pentagon are available to schools, educational organizations and other select groups by reservation only. Groups interested in touring the Pentagon should contact the Pentagon Tour Office at 703-697-1776.

enjoy your trip
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 03:55 PM

In March our family stayed at the Embassy Suites in Crystal City. Each morning and afternoon on the Metro we would pass the Pentagon. In my opinion, that's all that is needed, especially with young children. There is a Pentagon stop in Virginia but I wouldn't make a special trip. There are too many other special attractions for your girls. Be sure to take backpacks for water bottles, snacks, etc. I'm sure that it will be humid and hot.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:21 AM

My husband and I took the Metro to the Pentagon stop...both of us decked out in our tourist attire. We stuck out among the business suits. We decided to get off and see what we could see. I was able to take two pictures before a security guard pointed to a sign that said "no pictures". And we were only a few feet from the Metro. Unfortunately, at this point in our history, I think that it can no longer be considered a tourist attraction. Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 08:15 AM

I took a group of teens to DC last year and toured the Pentagon. It had to be planned at least 6 weeks in advance, and we had to submit SSN's, birthdates, etc. for all on the tour. It was most definitely worth it! They guides were helpful during the planning process with information about the tour. The actual tour was great...I think it was the favorite activity out of the entire week for all but one or two of the teens that I had with me. They have a wonderful chapel-like memorial where the plane hit on 9/11. You get a good sense of the immensity of the building and what happens there.

They are strict on the pictures. We were not allowed to bring cameras on the tour. The best pictures are from a little farther away. You can get a good sense of its size from driving over the Arlington Bridge (I think that's the name??) and taking a picture from there.

Bottom line, if your trip is near, don't bother trying. However, if you have even a small group (mine was 12) and are planning ahead, do what you can to schedule a tour! My group was an informal club of teens, not officially related to a school, and we had no problem scheduling the tour.

It will take a little pre-planning, but don't let this stop you from visiting!
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 08:21 AM

There is no longer parking at the Pentagon without a permit. Years ago it was a good place to park and use the metro for day trips, but no longer.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 08:56 PM
fredman

My company has an office in the Pentagon, we cannot send anyone to that office until they are cleared by all the different security folks and issued badges and ID's.