Reload this Page >

Pearl Harbor questions

Search

Pearl Harbor questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 09:26 AM
SN

Pearl Harbor questions

Has anyone been there recently with the heightened security. I was told you are not allowed to bring any type of bags, including a purse into Pearl Harbor and that leaving bags in the car is unsafe. I will only be in Honolulu for 1 day while catching a connecting flight back to the US so our car will have our suitcases in it. Is this a bad idea? Is 10am too late to get there (we will be there on Dec. 7)?

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 09:55 AM
What

I would think Dec.7 would be a crazy day at Pearl Harbor. You want to remember that Oahu has 4 Military bases on it, with families, families, families. Than you have tourist and visiting vets. Yes 10am is too late on most days and certainly on Dec.7.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 09:58 AM
E Swing

Dear SN,

I haven't been there in a while, but when I was, my husband and I took the very inexpensive bus from in front of Sears which dropped us off right in front of the base. I would imagine that Mall parking would be safer than most other public parking places.

Also, we encountered many people when we visted and it was nowhere close to Dec. 7th.

Have you checked online or with perhaps your state senator's office?

Good Luck.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Sarah

Unfortunately, malls in Hawaii similar to malls around the U.S are not safe from break ins.

I would think you could check your baggage early for your flight and then return, no? Just sounds like a big hassle, time and getting to PH early is biggest obstacle that I can see. I always send people at 7:30 to 8am to be the first on line to get tickets.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 02:08 AM
SG

LOL- I live here, what's your car look like? Just kidding. I wouldn't do it. And not to scare anyone, but there is a letter that the FBI is researching about terrorist hitting our harbor in December. I'll be avoiding that area just in case. You might not even be able to get down there that day.

I'm not sure they let you check bags early anymore.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 05:17 AM
Maureen

My husband and I and our 4 kids visited Pearl Harbor last March. We too had concerns about leaving items in our rental car. You cannot bring any type of bag, backpack, pocketbook, even baby bag into Pearl Harbor. We opted to leave everything in our hotel room and drive back to the room and then on to catch our 11:30 a.m. flight to Kauai. It was extremely hectic but we made it. We were there when they opened and got on the first tour, then drove back to the hotel, loaded up and then drove to the airport. Everything I had read from previous posters said not to leave anything in your car. There are big signs all over stating this also. I did see some typical rental cars (minivans like we had) with luggage in them. One idea I thought of was if you decide to take your luggage, back in next to a wall or another car, which would make it more difficult to get in your trunk. I personally did not feel worrying about all of our luggage while on the tour was worth the risk since we spent one night there (and the expense)just to go to Pearl Harbor. Make sure you do go though - it is very worthwhile. Hope this helps.