Pearl Harbor - Do-able in ? hours?

Mar 15th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Pearl Harbor - Do-able in ? hours?

Hi,
I have a dilemma. We are staying only 1 night on Oahu before heading home. I don't want to leave HI before seeing the memorial and the battleship Missouri. I love the history. If we have a 4:00pm flight out of HNL airport, can we see Pearl Harbor and get to the airport on time? This is our first trip to Hawaii and I have no idea how long it takes to see it,and travel back, pick up our bags from a hotel, and get to the airport. We won't have a car, and would love to just do a guided tour, but they may be longer than we have. What is the best way to get there? We plan on staying at The Breakers in Waikiki the night before. If it's not doable, we may have to change our plans so we can stay 2 nights, but that would be a last resort. Thank you for your help.
Mar 15th, 2007, 01:42 PM

We got to Pearl Harbor at 7:30 am on a Wednesday in October. Got online ASAP and had tickets for 8:15 am tour of USS Arizona. When we got back from that, we headed over and got tickets for an "explorer's tour" on The Missouri [it was just the 2 of us and a guide] and didn't get done with seeing everything we wanted to se until well after 1pm.

You will have to check out of your hotel by noon most likely. What are you going to do with your stuff after you check out? And how are you going to get from hotel to Pearl Harbor and then from Pearl Harbor to airport? Not sure how much time you'll need to get to airport from harbor, but also be sure to add in the need to get to airport at least 1.5 to 2 hours ahead of flight.
Are you planning to see Pearl Harbor on the day you get into Oahu or the next day when you are leaving?

Afternoon tickets maybe gone by the time you get their if you are planning to see it on the day you arrrive in Oahu.

I think you need an extra day. I would strongly suggest doing that and seeing Pearl Harbor. It was unbelievably moving and you don't want to have to hurry through the Missouri.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Mar 15th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

We would try and see this early in the day that we are leaving. We would arrive the day before in the afternoon, but would like to get up early on the day we leave and see the memorial and the Missouri. Are there buses to take, or cabs, or? I am assumming we can leave our luggage at the hotel and pick it up afterwards and head to the airport. I would like to figure this out quickly in case we need to add a day in Oahu, although that would only be a really last resort. Thanks again.
Mar 15th, 2007, 02:36 PM

I don't know where exactly your hotel is in comparison to PH. Generally though, looking at a map, you will have to travel from hotel to PH [heading west] by taxi [while busses may be available, they make LOTS of stops and take a long time to get from point to point.] There will be morning traffic early too.

Then from PH back to your hotel, you head east to get to hotel and then go west back to airport.

I don't see how you will have enough time. We took the bus from Waikiki to airport and it took over an hour to get there at 4 pm.

I am sure others will be able to give their input too. I would stay the extra day, JMHO.
Debi
Mar 15th, 2007, 03:11 PM

You should have plenty of time to see the Arizona not sure however about seeing all of the Missouri. You may try to contact the tour operators and see what if any options they offer. I'm guessing a cab would be around $25-30 each way and The Bus would eat up too much time.
Mar 15th, 2007, 04:01 PM

Rent a car. You won't have any problems seeing what you want. Plus you will have some time left over to see some of the other things like National Cemetery of the Pacific, Tantalus, Chinatown & Aloha Tower.

A cab from Waikiki to Pearl Harbor will be about $40 one way. It is about $30 from Waikiki to airport & Pearl Harbor is another 4 miles or so past the airport.

Plus you will have airport to Waikiki & back expense.

So renting a car for a day will allow you to see more & it will be less expensive.
Mar 15th, 2007, 05:26 PM

Leave it to Dusty to have the answer! Of course, renting a car sure beats taxi. You can rent the car at the airport when you arrive on the first afternoon and then return it to airport when you are ready to fly out. Make sure to leave enough time to turn car in and get through security, which will include agriculture checkpoint, I think.
Debi
Mar 15th, 2007, 06:53 PM

Dusty is right. Rent a car. When we visited Pearl Harbor, we arrived just after 7A and were on the first boat out to the memorial after viewing the film. We took a guided tour (very interesting) of the Missouri. We then drove to the National Cemetery of the Pacific. Because my father (my parents went with us on that trip) was in WWII and the Korean War, we did not speed through any of the places. We were back to Hale Koa Hotel by about 1PM.

With a car, if you don't have too many bags, and everything fits in the truck, you could go directly to the airport after sightseeing.

Have fun!
Mar 15th, 2007, 07:11 PM

IF you are going to rent a car and leave all of your valuables in the trunk; well, be careful.

I would buy a long bicycle cable with a lock and run it through all of the suitcase handles just to discourage theft. It won't stop them, but it will sure make it hard to do if - let's say - 4 or 5 bags are linked together.

Mar 15th, 2007, 07:22 PM

Definitely rent a car the night before. It will save you the fare into Waikiki, and the next day you'll easily be able to visit PH and Missouri. Go as early as possible. The wait times get longer as the morning goes on.

You'll need to leave your hotel by 1:30, so If you plan to spend a while at the memorial, you probably should take your bags with you, and not have to worry about making the trip from PH to hotel to HNL.
Mar 16th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Oh, thank you all for the input. Renting a car sounds logical. I even called the airline and asked if we could check our bags early in the a.m. and as long as our flight is the same day, it's okay. So we'll get to the airport really early, check our bags, rent a car and be off to Pearl Harbor. Then we just need to drive back to the airport and drop the car off. How does that sound? I really appreciate all the help, because I won't leave HI without seeing Pearl Harbor and these discussions really help to work through obstacles.
Mar 16th, 2007, 04:20 PM

"I even called the airline and asked if we could check our bags early in the a.m. and as long as our flight is the same day, it's okay."

I would not count on this.

I tried to do this (prior to 9/11) at Honolulu Airport and was told I could not check the bags more than 3 hours before the flight.

I do not remember what airline it was. I don't know if it was (is) an airline regulation or an airport regulation.

Things change, but you ought to double check this.
Mar 16th, 2007, 04:29 PM

We flew AA in October 06 and we checked our bags in at about 11 am for a 6 pm flight with no trouble.

AA also has a satelite site where you can check you bags; it was at a hotel in Waikiki, but I can't find it at the moment.
Mar 19th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the input. We are flying AA, and was told that as long as the ticket counter is manned, we could check our bags for a same-day flight. I sure hope that's the case. I will call again to double check. If you think of the Waikiki hotel AA satellite site to check bags, I'd love to have that information, too.
This site is wonderful for information!
Mar 20th, 2007, 01:59 AM

Here's the info; it's called "AAdvance Bag Check Service" and the hotels are -

Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Hilton
Hilton Hawaiian Village Beach Resort & Spa

http://tinyurl.com/34au5g
Mar 20th, 2007, 01:12 PM

My wife and I did about the same sort of thing but we were on the way to Aust. We were there in Late June last year, got to PH about 8:30 AM and the line was about 500 people or more long to get tickets!! Could have been longer as it was cirled twice around. We got tickets for 2 something in the afternoon. Sounds bad and IT WAS! However after you get your tickets you can see whatever else you want to see at the site before your time to go out to the AZ. Renting a car is probably the way to go..at least it was for us.
Long day of it but well worth the effort.