Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Paseo Robles, what's to know before you go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2004, 10:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of going up to Paseo Robles area over Thanksgiving with the family to check out a possible re-location. Input from anyone who lives there or has lived there would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 11:27 PM

Do you mean Paso Robles, in central CA?
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I do.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 09:10 AM

I haven't "stayed" in Paso Robles. We drove through it this summer and did some wine tasting. There are numerous wineries in the area. Also be sure and go south to Edna Valley if you like Chardonnays. Some of the best. The scenery there is beautiful. The coast is very close by. We stayed in Pismo Beach which is about 45 minutes south and much cooler.

San Luis Obispo is nearby town also. On Thursday nights they close down the center streets of town about 6 pm and have a huge farmers market. It is one of my favorite "happenings" in CA. Lots of college kids and fabulous produce.

Maybe others on the board can tell you more. The entire area is great with nice weather and lots to do. Have a ball.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 09:59 AM

Perhaps my memory is failing, but were you not the person who once said she was going to chuck California, lease out your house in SoCal and move to Italy? Was Paso Robles Plan B that became Plan A?
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Last year I really wanted to move back to Italy after we came home from visiting our family there. After our trip to Italy this year, I have changed my mind at least until the Euro/dollar exchange improves. The cost of living is too high for us over there right now. Two properities in S. Gimingano are rented out with good contracts and I DH's entire family is now living in the Florence house which is really four homes on one property. So to answer your question, yes a move north is plan B.