Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

PASADENA: What to see, do and where to eat?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 1998, 07:50 AM
Kat

I'm headed to Pasadena in mid-April to visit the Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens. Staying at the Ritz Carlton Huntington. Also plan to visit Norton Simon museum. What else is there to do in Pasadena? What about good bookstores, galleries? Other gardens? Where to eat? I'd welcome recommendations and suggestions. Thanks!

Old Mar 25th, 1998, 01:41 PM
ram

I was just in LA a few weeks ago and spent half a day in Pasadena. The Old Town area is basically one street with lots of shops (including a big Barnes & Nobles Bookstore) and tons of restaurants. I have heard of a restaurant called Shiro which apparently has great Cal-Asian cuisine. If you go south about 15 minutes to Monterey Park- there are several huge Chinese restaurants- go there (Atlantic Blvd.) on a Sunday late morning/ early afternoon for a unique cultural experience- Dim Sum. I ate at one place called Harbor Village (111 N. Atlantic Ave). You will feel like a minority there-knowledge of Mandarin is a plus!

Old Mar 29th, 1998, 11:02 AM
Martin Cohn

If you like touring houses, there is a GREAT one in Pasadena, the Gamble House. It is the retirement home of the founder of Proctor & Gamble. This house is truly beautiful! It is in the Arts and Crafts style and has the most beautiful woodwork and Tiffany stained glass throughout the house. they have a web site with more information, the address is http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~bosley/gamble.html. They also have a nice bookshop in the old carriage house.

Old Mar 29th, 1998, 09:22 PM
Janice Nagano

If you're into gardens, you might also be interested in checking out Descanso Gardens and the LA Arboreteum. They are not in Pasadena, but close enough by.

Also, in Pasadena, there is the Pasadena Flea Market at the Rose Bowl. It's great if you like antiquing. It's only on one Sunday of the month, however. Maybe the fourth? You can check it out on their website.

Have fun!

Old Mar 30th, 1998, 05:27 PM
kam

One of the most wonderful things in Pasadena is actually in San Marino (next town)--the Huntington Library and Gardens. Former home of the wealthy family, Henry built 9 different gardens for his much loved Arabella. Every time Arabella got bored and said she wanted to live in Europe, Henry would make her a new garden! It is also the home of the Gainsborough "Blue Boy" and "Pinkie" as well as an extensive collection of art. Don't miss it. The Ritz Carlton has a beautiful cafe down by the swimming pool and Sunday brunch there is delightful. Don't miss the old bridge from the main part of the hotel to the back, and get someone to tell you the story of how the hotel was completely rebuilt to conform to seismic requirements. We lived in Pasadena for 7 years and I still miss it. We are going down for a weekend in May--looking forward to it. Also, the restaurant Shiro is in South Pasadena and must be booked well ahead. Our favorite Italian is Soriso (smile) up in Old Town. Try any of the ones on Colorado Blvd. in Old Town. What a great place! Enjoy.