Parking Warning Manhatten Beach CA

May 28th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Parking Warning Manhatten Beach CA

Visited MB for the first time this week. After a long day of travel, we chose nearby MB to have dinner and do a little shopping beforehand. Came back to a parking ticket on my rental car. Earlier in the evening, I had parked in a spot where the sign said "Lock Car / Set Brakes". Well, when I moved the car after the expired 2 hours, I did the same in my new parking spot. Locked the car and set the emergency brake. When I returned, I had a $35 parking violation on my windshield for not turning my wheels. I heard from many other travelers and locals that Manhatten Beach is good about ticketing tourists for petty violations like this.
May 28th, 2007, 06:00 PM

Yes it is true for many of the beach towns that parking tickets are a big source of revenue. I'm surprised they didn't get you for exceeding the two hour limit, also. Sometimes they can see that your tire has been marked and moving the car won't get you a free pass.
May 28th, 2007, 09:15 PM

Manhattan Beach parking enforcement slipped up: you were beyond the 2 hour limit at the first spot, before you moved, and you didn't get a ticket.

A big revenue source? I suppose so. But the reality is that in the beach towns here in So Cal parking can be a real pain and the residents want the parking regs enforced.
May 28th, 2007, 10:30 PM

Yes, those Metermaids are busy giving tickets around the pier area in ManhattAn Beach. It's just not tourists, anyone can get a ticket for not turning their wheels when parking on a hill.
May 29th, 2007, 05:47 AM

You can get a ticket anywhere in the state if you don't curb your wheels on a hill. Doesn't always happen - but it is an important thing to do.

May 29th, 2007, 06:05 AM
GoTravel

Why do they make you turn your wheels and pull the parking brake?

May 29th, 2007, 06:44 AM

on hills one is supposed to heel or toe the tires depending on wheter you are facing up or down hill. Prevents the car from rolling down hill if the brake doesn't hold.
May 29th, 2007, 09:20 AM

It's a question on the CA Drivers License test, too!
May 29th, 2007, 01:58 PM
SAB

I can attest that you can get a ticket anywhere in CA for not curbing wheels--got one on an the almost flat street in SF last week. When I talked to my neighborhood parking control officer about it, she told me that they are taught that if a pencil rolls up or down the sidewalk, its a hill for wheel curbing purposes!!

BTW when you live in SF pulling the Ebrake becomes automatic, no matter where you park.
May 29th, 2007, 02:28 PM

My son who lives in LA got a tkt for this same violation in the city when parking on a hill , so I dont think itis a tourist thing. His friend got a $140 tkt for jay walking!! Unheard of here in lawless Mass (at least re: many traffic violations).
May 29th, 2007, 03:43 PM

"so I dont think it is a tourist thing You're absolutely right - curbing wheels definitely is not a "tourist" thing (nor petty, as brodge described it)