Search

yosemite:las vegas

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yosemite:las vegas

I'planning to drive from yosemite to las vegas:Can anyone suggest an interesting place to stay between?Any help appreciated..
Thanks
Ayshe

Old Mar 20th, 2005, 09:44 AM

What time of the year will you be traveling? This is important because Hwy 120, Tioga Pass though the park is an excellent route but it is closed for the winter and doesn't open until sometime between May and June.

Utahtea
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Dear Utahtea
I plan to travel in April 6th and has been told that it will take 8 hoursto Las Vegas so I would like to stay somewhere between.
Thanks
Ayshe
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 10:50 AM

Since Tioga Pass will still be closed you will have to travel Hwy's 99, 58 & I-15. Can't say as there are many interesting places to stay. I would just do the drive in one day and be done with it.

Utahtea
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 10:53 AM

I'd just drive straight through if possible as well.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 11:09 AM

I'd try to avoid this - but if you must drive from Yosemite to LV I agree w/ the others. Hunker down and drive straight through. There is not one, single, solitary, place along the entire route that's worth more than a short rest stop.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

As I have only 1 week for Sfo Sonoma Napa Yosemite Las Vegas I would like to avoid loosing even one single day but I have to!
Thanks everyone taking time to respond my mail
Ayshe
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 11:43 AM

I wouldn't think of it as loosing a day, but gaining one. Since you won't be spending a night on the road, you can spend one more night in Yosemite! It's an interesting drive but just not much to see or do on the way.

Utahtea
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 06:54 PM

I'd definitely look at driving straight through as gaining a day because you will get this long, boring drive out of your way in one shot rather than spending 2 days doing it. The only way I would spend the night enroute would be if I physically could not drive for 8 hours.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 02:24 PM

I'd agree with the other posters - drive straight through. You could make a couple of substantial stops - stop somewhere for a nice long breakfast after driving for a while and again for lunch or take a dessert break to pep you up (wake you up!) and head on into Las Vegas where you will amazingly feel revved up and ready to go once you arrive - then you'll be so thankful you're not stuck out in the middle of nowhere in Joe's Truck Stop Motel!
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 02:14 AM

Thanks to everyone!
As many hotels in LV like Paris,Bally or Bellagio ara fully booked for this time I find a room at MGM grand tower.
Do you think we should book it..
Thanks,
Ayshe
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 04:29 AM

I'm sure you'd be fine at the MGM Grand. It may not be your #1 choice, but it's no dump.

But, where are you getting the info that all the other hotels are fully booked? I just did a search at Bally's web site and they have rooms available. They are a bit expensive, but not sold out.

If you will post your exact dates that you'll be in LV people may be able to help better with hotel options. Also what's your hotel budget for each night in LV?

If you're looking at search sites like Orbitz or hotels.com, don't believe them when they say the hotel is sold out. It just means that they only had a certain number of rooms to sell, and they've sold them all. The hotel web site is usually the best place to look for room rates, especially for Vegas.

What rate did you find for the MGM Grand?
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 04:53 AM

I did the search in expedia after receiving the information that Bally and Paris don't have rooms betw 6/9 April from newworld travel agency.
The average rate for 3 nights is 249$.
I'm excited what the agency will offer.
Thanks for all information,
Rgds,
Ayshe
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 06:31 AM

Go directly to the hotel web sites. I just did. Here's what's availble. Note that generally these rates are fully cancellable also, up to 24-48 hours before you get there, so if a better rate comes along you can change.

Bally's - $232/night average for the 3 nights
Paris - $282/night average for the 3 nights
Aladdin - Sold out for 2 of the 3 nights
Monte Carlo - $162/night average for the 3 nights
Caesar's - Sold out
Bellagio - Sold out
Flamingo - $320/night average for the 3 nights (no idea why this is so high!)

So, as you can see, some hotels are sold out. But many are not. Just search (using yahoo, google, etc.) for the hotels you want and use their web sites.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 10:51 PM

Thanks jlm mi,

I did the same after receving your reply.First I found available rooms in Bellagio later it was fully booked.
You think we should prefer Paris or Bally instead of MGM..

Rgds,
Ayshe

Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 04:52 AM

I've never stayed at any of the three (have only stayed at Harrah's and Tropicana) but I would prefer Bally's or Paris over MGM. MGM is huge, and it's pretty far south. Paris and Bally's are connected, and right in the middle of the strip.

I love the atmosphere at Paris, but for the price would choose Bally's (because a really nice hotel room doesn't mean any more to me than a decent hotel room). You can walk directly from Bally's into Paris.

But that's just me. Others have enjoyed MGM and prefer the southern end of the strip. I still can't see that it'd be worth it to spend more to stay there, but I'm not familiar with their rooms.

You could search here for MGM in Las Vegas and then post a new post with that specific question if you can't find the answer. I'm sure others who have stayed at MGM could help you out more.