Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Parent's 60th wedding anniversary celebration at the beach.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brothers and I would like to have a family get together for a week at the beach with our parents.
They are in very good health. But because of their ages and because there are several small children in the group, we would like to stay within six or seven hours from our homes in Pennsylvania.
I have narrowed the search to lower New Jersey, Maryland or Delaware.
There will be 12 of us, so we would like something fairly large. Also, we are hoping for beachfront which is easier with several toddlers.
I think we would lean toward quiet and family oriented.
Can anywone help with suggestions?

Thanks
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

ttt.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 04:36 PM

When my children were little, we took several family vacations in South Bethany, Delaware, at large houses (5 or 6 bedrooms) right on the beach. I can't remember the name of the realty company we used, but there are several, and you won't have trouble finding one on the web. South Bethany is close enough for an easy drive to Ocean City MD or Rehobeth Beach if you want a boardwalk experience, but there really is nothing IN South Bethany except houses, so the beach is not crowded and you see the same neighbors the whole week. The houses right on the beach are much more expensive than those even one or two houses back, but they were great with small kids. Grandma could sit up on the balcony and see all the beach action without actually going out into the sun and sand, and a dozen trips a day back to the house for bathroom, snacks, or naps were a breeze. I also liked the fact that the beach is pretty narrow, which made keeping an eye on the kids much easier. I also liked the small, comparatively quiet town of Bethany Beach, although we never rented a house there.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Karen. This is just the kind of information I was looking for. We really just want the beach experience, not a boardwalk or crowds. It is difficult to tell my just looking at property locations what the neighborhood is like.
Sherry
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 02:51 AM

Sounds like you might like South Bethany, too, Sher. I forgot to add that although it's been at least 10 years since we rented there, we drove through South Bethany last Labor Day weekend, just to have a look for old times' sake, and it was very much unchanged. We easily found two or three of our old houses on the beach, which looked just as we remembered it. Also, when our boys were REALLY little, we would take them to the "boardwalk" at Fenwick DE, just a few miles south. This is actually a small shopping center, with a few stores, a go-kart track, a miniature golf, and a couple of restaurants and ice-cream places. Plenty of thrills for a 4-year-old without the major crowds at the big shore towns.
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Karen.

Well, since we will have two five year olds and a four year old in the group, this is probably enough excitement for them!
I have already contacted a realtor. Thanks you again. Sherry