Reload this Page >

Panhandle Area of Florida

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 09:38 AM
Lois

I've been told that Destin, and Panama City Beach, have water very similar to the Caribbean (which my family loves). Is this true? We love crystal clear, turquoise, warm waters & white sand beaches.

I do not want to be there when it is spring break or when the "party crowd" is there -- we are mid-50's and just like beautiful beaches.

The water in the Caribbean is usally about 85 degrees -- does it get that warm there and how many months would it be at peak temperatures? Would we be able to go into "warm water" in early November? What would it be like in May?

Any suggestions on resorts? We own timeshare. If we are fortunate enough to trade into any RCI place, which are good and which should we avoid?

Thanks for the advice.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 11:01 AM
cd

The beaches between Panama City and Pensacola are indeed beautiful. Crystal clear water and white sand beaches. Even into Alabama, although I have not stayed at any beaches there. I am unfamiliar with water temperatures however since we have never visited at those times. I believe November would be warmer than May because of retaining the summer temps. I'm sure someone else will be able to give better info to you on that.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 11:08 AM
starfish

The water is warmest in the summer months and into late September, gets cooler into October--I would not swim in it in November. I, too, like warm water. It gets really chilly in the Panhandle in the winter, as does the water. I prefer Destin to the other locations. Sandestin and Tops'l are really nice, but are HUGE developments. If you want quaint & cozy, these are not for you. To my knowledge, spring-breakers are not a problem in this area. Does anyone have different information about that?

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Connie

My sister went to Port St. Jo southeast of Panama City. She said it was great even during Spring Break--no crowds. Also said there was lots to do and see in the area.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Owen O'Neill

Panama City itself is now getting a large spring break crowd if the television coverage I've seen in the past year or two is correct. I would imagine that it's confined just to PC itself and not the more low-key areas nearby. A relative of mine stayed for a long weekend on Prince George Island (maybe it's St. George?) in that area and loved it - very low-key and there's a 9 mile stretch of beach that is protected wilderness - state land which is undeveloped and is home to many birds.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Julie

I was a resident of Panama City for 1.5 years and just recently moved. The second week of March is the Spring Break MADNESS until about the 3rd week of April... Over 400,000 squeeze onto a beach with just 5,000 residents and it is a nightmare. Stay away from there then!!!

In May the beach is nice the water is pretty, clean, clear green-blue (thus the Emerald Coast) and the water is around 78 degrees. It tops 80 as you progress into June, but with that you get a huge seaweed problem or as some locals called it, sea-snot. You get the typical seaweed and then this slime-bright green stuff that sticks to everything and smells. It is heaviest in July/Aug when water temps over 80, then starts clearing out in Sept.

Destin doesn't have this problem and doesn't get too many Spring Breakers. Seaside, Sandestin also are nice areas. Beaches are sugar-white with fine soft sand and it is beautiful. The water is not as clear as the Caribbean, but it runs a close 2nd and to be located in a much easier/cheaper location to come by, it is well worth the trip.

I would recommend for a couple in your mid-50s Destin, Sandestin or Seaside. These areas are nicer and gear to a nicer, more sophiscated crowd and Panama City gears more towards the rowdy, "lets drink and cruise Front Beach Road" crowd except in the Winter and then it is a retiree "snow-bird" area, but the water is COLD. November would be too cold to get into the water.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 02:25 PM
Tina

Water is bathtub warm June-Sept, but seaweed can be a problem for the ENTIRE area. You just never know. The great thing about the Panama City Beach area is St. Andrew's Bay (and the surrounding state park), which is always beautiful. Great restaurants in PCB and Panama City proper, across the Hathaway Bridge from PCB.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 03:01 AM
Lois

Julie - t hanks for the specifics and alternative suggestsions.

Also, thanks to all who wrote -- very helpful.

Lois

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 04:27 AM
sister

I second the Seaside vote! Upscale and no party crowds.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 04:45 AM
DeeDee

You may want to investigate a rental in Seagrove or Rosemary Beach (located between Destin and Panama City) in addition to Seaside. Beautiful!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 10:29 AM
anon

As one who lives in the Panhandle, I can tell you that, yes, the water is the tourquoise blue of the Carribean and that the beaches are known for their "sugar sand" so called because of the resemblance to confectioners sugar. However, Panama City is KNOWN for the Spring Breakers - we who live here just don't even cross the bridge during these months (it started a few weeks ago, and lasts through April). Destin is too built up for me - there are some Spring Breakers, lots of Snow Birds, and lots of other vacationers over there - and stays that way through the summer (Sandestin and Destin basically run together). Seaside is very pretty, no Spring Breakers to speak of, but very pricey. Pensacola always has lots going on, and is an actual "city" (which honestly, none of the others are) - in May this year they have their annual "Spring Fest" which is a great music festival. I split my time between Panama City (where my parents live) and Port St Joe. Personally, if I just wanted the beach, with not much else (in terms of night clubs etc) I would go to Mexico Beach/Port St Joe, Cape San Blass, Apalachicola, etc. The water/beach is the same, no crowds, laid back casual atmosphere etc. As for the water, we swim/fish/snorkel etc right up through September and then I don't get in till May or so but I'm a Fl baby wimp and don't like any cold water. There are people swimming right now in the Gulf swearing that it is warm enough, but they are from the frozen tundra of the north.... go to mexicobeach.com and you can get all kinds of info of that area.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 10:30 AM
anon

Oh forgot to mention also, Cape San Blass has been voted the number one beach in the world the last two years running....

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 03:55 PM
native

Anon has given you some VERY good advice.

RM

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 04:19 PM
also anon native

...great advice EXCEPT ----the water at Cape San Blas and Appalach is NOT crystal clear blue like further up the beach (P. City, Destin, Pensacola). It is true, the beaches are fantastic and Cape San Blas is fab because it is to date, very uncrowded(which means undiscovered), but for the best water, head further north.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Native

The water on the Gulf side of Cape San Blas is every bit as blue/green as the water in Destin/Pensacola. If you are referring to the bay side of the Cape, the water on that side is dramatically clearer than in Pensacola Bay and App. Bay.

RM

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 07:38 PM
Jason

A very good website about Destin is www.abbottresorts.com. This site has area info, as well as condo rental info. Check out the virtual tours to see the color of the water.