Reload this Page >

Palm Springs --restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 1999, 10:30 AM
michele

I would appreciate any recommendations in any price range. I am going to PS for four days in late November. Thanks in advance.

Old Nov 1st, 1999, 02:08 PM
Cheryl Z.

Michele, we were there the end of Sept. and found the following: Blue Coyote Mexican restaurant on Palm Canyon (strong mararitias - too strong for me!), Banducci's Bit of Italy on So. Palm Canyon (I think this was one I didn't care for), Johnny Costas Restaurant on Palm Canyon (I liked this one), and Al Dente Pasta on No. Palm Canyon (I can't remember this one!) There's a pizza/sub shop on the corner kind of in the middle of town, can't remember the name, something like "NY Pizza" that had fairly good pizza, and sandwiches. It was next to a little shopping plaza on a side street. Anyway, there'll be lots for you to choose from. When we were there in Sept., it was the off season (very hot) and many places closed. We also had breakfast a couple times at Bit of Country on So. Indian, was ok. Have a good trip.

Old Nov 1st, 1999, 02:25 PM
ellen

We were out that way this past February and can recommend a couple of restaurants which we enjoyed.
Our hotel was located in Indian Wells so my recommendations are from this area.
La Quinta Cliffhouse on Hwy 111 in La Quinta is a good basic steakhouse in a unique location clinging to the side of a little cliff.
the Palomino Euro Bistro, also on 111, in Palm Desert is a lively, upscale casual spot. The spit roasted meats were very good. I recall that we felt so comfy here that we kept ordering more food and drink as an excuse to not leave!
We also ate at a very swanky traditonal French restaurant on 111 -located on the left hand side just before El Paseo with Indian Wells behind you. I'm sorry to say I've lost track of the name. Very expensive, a bit stuffy, but excellent food - I'm sure your hotel can figure out the name if you are staying in that area.
I highly recommend a drive out to Joshua Tree National Park if time permits - absolutely breathtaking - there's a funky little restaurant called Jeremy's on the main drag right in the town of Joshua Tree - if the recent earthquake didn't knock it over, it's a good spot to stop for a sandwich on your way to the park.

Old Nov 2nd, 1999, 09:49 AM
Rich

Michele:

Try the Wilde Goose on Palm Canyon Dr. It's a little on the pricey side, but well worth it. If you like mexican, I strongly recommend Las Casuelas, also on Palm Canyon. Even though it is a chain restaurant, I always enjoy the Chart House (again, also on Palm Canyon), as well.

Cheryl, I would be surprised if you had a bad meal at Banducci's. I have always enjoyed it. I concur - there are plenty of good restaurants at all price levels in the Palm Springs area.

Enjoy!

Old Nov 2nd, 1999, 06:34 PM
Marilyn

If you like prime rib, my husband claims the consistently best restaurant for prime rib is Lord Fletchers in Rancho Mirage. It is an English style restaurant, often crowded, so reservations are a must during peak tourist times. This is the restaurant he prefers for any "special" occasion.

Old Nov 3rd, 1999, 12:41 PM
david

I discovered "Shame on the Moon" (strange name for a restaurant, I know) last time I was there. It's in Rancho Mirage, I believe. It's a nice dinner house, popular with locals. It feels like a throwback to days-gone-by. People are dressed, enjoying a night out, but it doesn't feel like the popular chain-type places or latest see and be seen spot. The food was very good as well.

Old Nov 3rd, 1999, 03:37 PM
Robin

I have been to the desert many times, in fact I am getting married there in May. What a beautiful area to visit! As for restaurant recommendations - For simple, easy and inexpensive food I would say La Taqueria (serval locale)for mexican or Islands (on HWY 111) for burgers, soft tacos and salads. For a meal you will never forget, try LG's we rave about the steak ever since the first time we ate there! Also, Adobe at the La Quinta Resort is excellent southwest food. While you are there, definitely take to time to go up the PS Tram, the views are spectacular. Hope this helps, let me know if you need any more suggestions as I am planning a wedding a doing a ton of research myself.

Old Nov 3rd, 1999, 07:22 PM
Robert

Michele, I second David's recommendation of Shame on the Moon. I found this restaurant simply by accident! I think it is wonderful that it is being mentioned on this site!! It is the best find in the PS area. It is not a tourist spot, but a local favorate. Check it out, yoy will not be disappointed. Please be sure to make a reservation. It is very popular and reservations are almost necesary. The food was wonderful!! If you are asked if you prefer inside or outside, request inside, the dining room is very nice. Have fun, wish I was there!

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 07:20 AM
Debbie C

Definitely try Palomino Euro-Bistro in Palm Desert (near the El Paseo Shopping district). Very artsy, ecletic, and energetic atmosphere. The food and service is superb. My friend & I loved it so much we ate there two nights in a row. In fact, My husband & I just dined at their Los Angeles location last weekend. Check out their website:
http://www.palomino-euro-bistro.com/

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 08:23 AM
michele

Thanks to all of you. I don't leave until 11-16, so keep the sugestions coming!

Old Nov 18th, 1999, 08:39 AM
michele

Many thanks to all of you. Business got in the way of pleasure a few days so I only got to sample Las Casuelas and Euro-Palimno. Loved both of them and I am saving the other recommendations ( especially SHAME ON THE MOON) for a real vacation weekend.
Thanks again