Palm Springs Resort Choices

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 05:57 AM
mom of 3

Palm Springs Resort Choices

We have narrowed our choice for resorts to 3; can someone help me decide? It'll be me and hubby, plus 3 teens. Boys want golf, golf, golf, the rest of us will just relax, lay by the pool (weather permitting over President's weekend) and shop and eat! Can't decide between Marriott Rancho Las Palmas, the Marriott in Desert Springs, or their villas. Also looking at Renaissance Esmeralda. Nicest pool will be a big plus, plus good restaurants on site.
Thanks in advance.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 06:59 AM
ellie

My husband has stayed several times at the Renaissance Esmeralda for an annual business conference - I tagged along with him a couple of years ago. We are not golfers - so I cant comment on the quality of their course, but the hotel is entirely surrounded by its own course (golfers I observed were all smiling!) Nice looking large pool (was there in February and didnt hang out there much) - food decent, but nothing to brag about. Only real warning would be to request a room anywhere other than over the front entrance - noisy car and people sounds - we requested a move and they complied without problems. Room very nice with small balcony (my guess is that it is often too hot to hang out there) - lovely views of mountains, etc. Handy location near many good restaurants and shopping - tons of great shops in nearby Palm Desert. Hope this helps.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Suzie

I also stayed at the Esmeralda in the month of February. The pool is realy beautiful. Has a beach end with sand and a gradual slope into the water as you would expect from the ocean or lake. It also has a section with water falling from a corridor of of pillars. Very nice for those hot times. The room we jhad was a corner room with a view of the pool. The room was very large as was the bathroom. Actually was the largest non suite I've ever been in. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They have free self park or valet. The bar was humming during happy hour and they had live music at night. Only ate appitizers and they were very good.

Close by is Le Ste Germaine which is very good.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:57 AM
tahquitz

The best on-site food is probably the Desert Springs, with several choices catering to a variety of palates. The golf course at Indian Wells (Hyatt/Esmeralda) is probably a little better than the Desert Springs. The pools at all three are pretty nice.

Good off-site restaurants reasonably near any of the above are El Mirasol in Palm Desert, La Quinta Grill in La Quinta, Pacifica in Palm Desert, LG's Prime in Palm Desert, Keedy's in Palm Desert for old fashioned burgers and shakes, Cuistot in Palm Desert and I second St. Germaine.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 10:39 AM
c

The May issue of LA Magazine just listed the Renaissance Esmeralda as one of the top 50 getaway hotels in Southern California.

The resort is very nice and would suit your needs. The golf courses would satify the boys, while the rest of you could lounge around the beautiful pool area.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 04:34 PM
aleichenberg

My vote goes to the Marriott Desert Springs Spa. Great hotel, very nice golf, great pool and the canal boat rides (free) from the hotel lobby around the property, to and from restaurants are a nice touch. The villas there are nice, but seperate from the hotel. If you are getting two rooms at the hotel, the villas would be in the same range. The two bedrooms are seperate, the second one being like a nice motel room with a seperate entrance. Might be a nice break from the kids. I think there is an additional interior adjoinng door at VillasII. In VillasI you go into a a "foyer" and then there are seperate entrances for the main unit and the studio unit. We left the main unit door open so the second bedroom occupants had access to the kitchen and living room area. I like the pools at VillasII, but the teens will want to go to the hotel pool as that has the best sunbather "scenery". Of your choices, you can't go wrong with any of them.