Palm Springs Help!!

Oct 5th, 2001, 06:03 PM
barbara

Palm Springs Help!!

Anyone seen the Villa Royale lately? I understand they have upgraded. This is for next weekend, so I need help ASAP! Thanks.

Oct 6th, 2001, 07:16 PM
PS Local

barbara:

I was there today at the Europa Restaurant. They have not done any major renovations recently. But the place looks great. They won a Mobil award last year.

I like the Villa Royale a lot. But I like Korakia better. Ever been there? It is within walking distance of downtown PS, versus having to drive from the VR, (but only a few minutes). Believe it or not, the other pretty nice property and a value is the Holiday Inn Palm Mtn resort downtown. I also like La Serena Villas, a small historic place with little casitas downtown.

One that looks pretty interesting is the Orbit Inn, a retro place that opened in the last year.

Oct 7th, 2001, 10:18 AM
barbara

Thanks, thanks, thanks for the help! Korakia is not available for the 3 nights we want so we're going to Orbit Inn 1 night and then the Willows (tried and true, but too expensive for all 3 nights) for the remaining nights. Now, for a suggestion for that great little restaurant that no one knows about- always hard 'cause we eat well up here in Berkeley!

Oct 8th, 2001, 07:07 AM
PS Local

What do you like?

PS L

Oct 8th, 2001, 09:41 AM
barbara

I don't like poor overpriced food- but don't mind paying for a good meal. Love to eat outside, as it's unusual that the weather is good enough here for it. Really enjoy "ethnic" food i.e. Middle Eastern/Greek, Mexican, Italian etc etc. Doesn't all have to be "upscale", but enjoy restaurants tourists don't always find- and do enjoy upscale , as well. Thanks again for your help

Oct 8th, 2001, 10:25 AM
PS Local

Upscale/fine dining: Johannes Cosmopolitan, PS; Great food, tiny place, better call for a reservation now.

French: La Provence, PS. Fab balcony overlooking Palm Canyon.

Thai: Thai Smile, PS. Modest place, great prices, great food. A MUST is the Red Chicken Curry and the Tom Yum Kai (chicken lemongrass) soup. Nice people.

Indian: Dehli Palace, PS. I like the Chicken Tikka Masala and garlic naan.

Italian: Massimo in Rancho Mirage or Al Dente pasta in PS. Al Dente has outdoor seating.

Mexican: El Mirasol, PS. Favorites are Machaca and the chicken mole dishes. Nice people and good margaritas too. Alternatives are Blue Coyote in PS with great outdoor seating and ambiance, or Edgardo's Cafe Veracruz in PS. Edgardo also has an outdoor patio. Foodwise, El Mirasol is Guadalajaran style, Edgardo is Yucatan (more Caribe)and Blue Coyote sort of nouvelle California. Avoid Las Casuelas Terraza at all costs, except maybe for a margarita.

Clubs: Muriel's, PS; Village Pub for good mix of locals, tourists, hipsters, poseurs and marines from 29 Palms trying to forget they may be called upon soon; Peabody's, Blue Guitar, patio at La Taqueria; New spot as yet untried: the upstairs terrace at the new Chop House, PS;

Great Martini Bar: The Falls Steakhouse, PS (but be prepared to pay ten bucks);

Have fun, barbara. I think that it is the motorcycle weekend, so you may want to check for sure and take this into consideration. Pretty good crowd (e.g. the upscale HD people), plus lots of hogs growling all day and part of the night.

Oct 8th, 2001, 01:44 PM
Dayle

Second vote for the Thai place - GREAT food, very reasonable prices. Small dining area out front, on the main street. We always go there!

Oct 8th, 2001, 03:12 PM
barbara

You guys are great. I'll let you know what I think of all when I return!

Oct 8th, 2001, 04:49 PM
PS Local

barbara:

I look at it as repayment on a debt because I have gotten lots of good tips from other fodorites over the last couple years.

I think the place that Dayle is talking about is called "Peppers." It *does* have outdoor seating. Thai Smile, on the other hand, only has indoor seating. It is a little farther west on Palm Canyon Drive. My recollection is that Peppers is good too, though we tend to go to TS. Coincidentally, it is right next to Al Dente Pasta and across the street from Edgardo's.

The weather has been AWESOME. Please do let us know how you fare.

PS L

PS L

Oct 10th, 2001, 11:49 AM
kish

Here's a third heaping of praise for Thai Smile.

Oct 10th, 2001, 12:20 PM
Suzie

Had a great meal at Al Dente in February. If the weather had been warmer we would have eaten outside. Nicely lit with tiny white lights.

Also ate at Le St. Germaine. Very good, expensive. Our waiter Willie was a riot and provided prompt yet fun service. He almost cried when we left couse he had fun too!

Oct 10th, 2001, 02:20 PM
michele

Thanks , PS local, for all the tips. I, too, am a fan of Korakia and enjoy eating at La Provence (liked Le St Gemaine, also).

Barbara.. you might enjoy Melvyn's at the Ingleside Inn (think that's the name) for a drink. Has an Old PS feel to it. Please let us know about the Orbit Inn. Sounds like a place I would like.

Michele