Search

Palm Springs Help!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Palm Springs Help!!

Hi, I am going to Palm springs for a week in January-February. What will the weather be like ( should I pack heavy sweaters?)I will be with my husband and four year old daughter. Please recommend some great restaurants and fun things to do. Thank You Kelly
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 03:03 PM
Tess

Kelly,

We were in Palm Springs two years ago in mid-January and I laid out by the pool. It was wonderful--a nice, dry heat. My husband was in meetings so I was just a bum (no kids along) and only sunbathed and shopped--sorry I can't help there. As I recall, it cooled off enough at night that we needed light sweaters. Maybe this was unusual weather, though--any Palm Springs experts out there?

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:13 AM

In January and February it will likely be mid-60s to low-70s during the day and upper-40s to low-50s at night.
Southern California has been getting a lot of rain this year. Although PSP is drier than much of California, it is still possible that it may rain in Jan. and Feb.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 10:54 AM

I was there for a week in mid-February. Once a windbreaker was needed - they had rain!! But mostly we needed suntan lotion, don't forget to pack! Bring swimsuits and light sweaters for night time.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 02:44 PM

Thor
You will need some sweaters or light jackets at night, although a lot of the restaurants on Palm Canyon Dr. have alfresco dining and gas lamps out for warmth. Take something that you can wrap around your shoulders and then put on if you need to.

When we were there (early Feb.) it was high 60's during the day and cooler at night. I remember needing a sweater or jacket. Hubby didn't come prepared and we had to take a trip to the local outlets out on the highway for some shopping at the Claiborne store for some warmer clothes--what a problem, though, huh?

Some fun things to do if you like scenic drives is a trip to Joshua tree national park and the San Bernardino forest area...very scenic, ski resorts at the top (and snow up there, too when we were there). The ride back down had wonderful views of Palm Springs below. My husband visited an air museum and we also did the tram ride.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 09:16 PM

Very wet this year, but I am hoping your visit is dry and filled with sun and warmth. Days are typically 70's, nights cool sweater/light jacket. Outdoor dining is typically heat lamp enhanced.

You might take your daughter one of the days to CDMOD---Children's Discovery Museum of the Desert---in Rancho Mirage. A 4 y.o. should be good for at least a couple hours there. Gerald Ford Drive west of Bob Hope Drive.

She might also like the Living Desert in Palm Desert.

I assume your daughter will accompany you to restaurants so you are not really looking for fine dining/romantic experiences? Try Spencer's in Palm Springs, Elmer's in PS for breakfast, Ruby's in PS for burger lunch, Thai Smile in PS for dinner...
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for everyones advice. Its snowing in Canada right now and I can't wait to go, Kelly