Painted Desert or Apache Trail

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are visting Arizona in September. We are sepnding 2 days (Mon/Tues) in Sedona, 1 day (Wed) at the Grand Canyon Canyon. I am debating about what to do on Thursday & Friday. I originally thought we'd drive back to the Phoenix area on Thursday and drive the Apache Trail on Friday. Now I am considering driving to Holbrook on Thursday and seeing the Painted Desert instead. We are flying out of Phoenix on Sat AM. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 06:34 AM

Hi,

I have been to both and though the Painted Desert is lovely I really enjoyed the Apache Trail and would go back to that in a heart beat. I think it depends on what you are looking for.

Whichever you pick I am sure you will enjoy your trip!

Laura
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 06:39 AM

Apache Trail is best when the wildflowers are blooming, say Feb - April in a normal year. Possibly your rental car will not have enough clearance for parts of it, especially if there have been heavy monsoon rains rutting the road. It's OK in Sept but not prime.

Painted Desert was a bit of a let-down to me, especially after the GC and Sedona (and a dozen other places in the general area).

In Sept I'd also consider staying up north where it's cooler than Phoenix, maybe Monument Valley or Canyon de Chelly (Chinle) on the Navajo Reservation. You'll drive past the Painted Desert (or parts of it) getting to either place.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:17 AM

On Thursday, from the Grand Canyon, I would drive on Highway 264 through the Hopi Reservation to Canyon de Chelly.

On the way to the canyon, I would stop at the Hubbell Trading Post and take the tour of the 1902 Hubbell Home (given on the hour).

At the Holiday Inn outside Canyon de Chelly, I would book a 9:00 a.m. Friday jeep tour of the canyon.

On Friday afternoon I would drive to Phoenix, stopping at the Painted Desert en route.

HTTY
Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:16 AM

I agree with happytrailstoyou's suggestion. The only thing I'd add, is I'd drive thought the 20 miles though the Petrified Forest after the Painted Desert and take Hwy 180 back up to I-40.

FYI, if you exit the Grand Canyon on Hwy 64 driving towards Cameron and Hwy 89, you will see views of the Painted Desert as good or better than on I-40. Also the drive north on Hwy 89 to Hwy 160 is Painted Desert too.

Utahtea
Old May 3rd, 2011, 05:15 PM

a big ho-hum to the painted desert, put the Petrified Forest is interesting