Reload this Page >

Pacific Northwest with kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 01:27 PM
Karina

I'm planning a three-week vacation driving and camping between San Fran, Seattle and Portland with two kids, 6 and 8. Any sites we should not miss? Anything dinosaur related is especially welcome.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Sara

I can only help with Oregon. From the south some things to see.....

Crater Lake is pretty spectacular, the lodge is wonderful, even if you aren't staying there, take a tour and enjoy the common room. No camping on the rim but several campgrounds close. Diamond Lake is close enough to the Crater lake and has a nice campground and a lodge and water equipment (paddle boats etc)

Gold Beach/Rogue River. From the coast side take the jet boats. They are very fun and exciting. While it is more expensive I recommend the long trip because it really only gets exciting where the other tours turn around (seriously). I have used Jerry's Jet Boats both times and been very pleased. From I-5 side you can take rafting trips of varying lengths (part-day to several days). Wildlife Safari is a drive-thru park where the animals roam free. It is pretty fun.

Florence on the coast is a fun little town, can go on a dune buggy or just admire the dunes. Honeyman State park is a popular campground there. Newport also along the coast has 2 great aquariums. The Hatfield Marine Science Center is more learning oriented, less aquarium but still a very nice center ($ donation) and the Oregon Coast Aquarium is a world-class facility. The jellyfish exhibit is very popular and I like the tube you walk through with the fish swimming over and under you. Highly recommended. Newport also has a wonderful campground South Beach - steps from the beach.

In Eastern Oregon there are the John Day fossil beds, the closest thing I can figure out that relates to dinosaurs. It is a bit out of the way in my opinion. Just outside of Bend is the Oregon High Desert museum - very fun and worthwhile if you are over there.

Salem area: Silver Creek Falls has a very nice campground. The falls are fun - you get to walk behind one. There is a hike that goes to 7 falls but it would be an all day for little legs, but there are ways to shorten it.

Portland has so much to do. For your kids OMSI is fun - a very hands on experience. omsi.org The Rose Garden is pretty for you and there is a great playground near for kids. The Oregon Zoo is fun. Oaks Park is like an old fashioned amusement park but has modern rides too. portland.citysearch.com is a pretty good resource for Portland.

The Columbia Gorge is a must-see. Take the old scenic highway, a curvy slow road but very pretty. Stop and take lots of the hikes to the waterfalls, they vary in length and difficulty. Maybe keep going to Mt. Hood. I think there is an alpine slide up there, never done it but I want to.... I can't recommend any place to camp near Portland.

Astoria is fun, Fort Clatsop is great, a reconstruction of the fort Lewis and Clark lived in the winter they were here. The Astor column is a fun climb.

In Washington be sure to go to Mt. St. Helens - it is very interesting and fun. Lots of places to stay, last weekend stayed at ecoparkresort.com and very much enjoyed it.

Some technicalities: In Oregon there is a state park pass - if you plan on going to lots of parks it might pay off to buy a pass - check their website. The state campgrounds fill up very quickly. Try to reserve as early as possible. The coast is beautiful but cool and can be very windy so if you stay there expect to be cooler.

Enough already, I could write a book! Feel free to ask me any further questions offline. Have a great time - sounds like a wonderful trip.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Janda

Hello,
I live here in Seattle and I think the kids would love the Pacific Science Center at the Seattle Center. There are tree shaped dinosaurs outside, and have many fun exhibits inside as well.
Going up the Space Needle is fun for young and old alike. The Pike Place Market is also a wonderful place to see.
Wishing you a fun and safe trip.
Janda

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Karina

WOW! Thanks for a great response. I really appreciate it -- and so will my kids! Have a great summer, and hope to be able to return the favor sometime. (Now, get to work and write that book!)

Karina

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 01:36 PM
karina

Great tips Janda. I think we'll do them all!

Many thanks,

Karina

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 02:12 PM
John

The IMAX theater at Seattle Center is showing a 3-D movie of the International Space Station at present. Supposed to be out of this world (haha).

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 08:25 PM
abhodges

Don't know if it's too late to respond but, here's my input for the San Francisco/ Northern California Area..... We just camped over the 4th of July weekend at a campground called Costanoa (www.costanoa.com). They have campgrounds, canvas tents, and a lodge. It's about 40 minutes from San Francisco. 20 minutes from Halfmoon Bay, 20 minutes from the Santa Cruz Beachboardwalk and about an hour away from Monterey/Carmel area. We had a great time (especially our kids).

Might I also suggest Point Reyes up the coast (maybe stop off there on your drive to Oregon, Washington). It's about an hour North of San Francisco.

I'd check on places to camp in the Sonoma/ Napa area as well --- maybe stop off and check out the wineries. We don't drink but, still love to hang out in these 2 towns (and our 2 yr old and 9 yr old like picking out new restaurants)! --- A lot of the local wineries host various jazz artisits throughtout the Summer as well.

If you have more time visit Yosemite as well (4 hour drive from SF).

..... I could go on! Hope this gives you a start for Northern California! Good Luck.