Pacific Northwest Itinerary, Please Critique

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please critique our itinerary for September 2020 to the Pacific Northwest.
Day 1
Arrive PDX from east coast
Columbia River Gorge via Lewis & Clark Trail Hwy
Night Hood River area

Day 2
Fort Hood/Timberline Lodge via Mt Hood Scenic Byway Rt 35 (1 hr 4 min 47.3 miles)
Stop at Lodge
Continue to John Day Fossil Beds National Monument (Painted Hills Unit)
via Journey thru TimeScenic Byway (3 hrs 47 min, 170 miles) or US-26 (2 hrs 49 mins, 144 miles)
Continue to Bend via UA-26W to UA-97S (1 hr 41 min, 82.2 miles) Possible stop in Smith Rock SP
Night in Bend

Day 3
Bend Sightsee morning
Continue to Crater Lake via northern entrance via 97S - 138 E
Night Crater Lake

Day 4
Crater Lake
Night in Crater Lake

Day 5 To Jedidiah Smith SP via US 199S (3 hr 37 min, 175 miles)

Day 6 & 7 Redwoods NP and Prairie Redwood SP

Day 8 Humboldt SP

Nights in Klamath or Trinidad area….Which?????

Day 9
Departure to Oregon via I-101 southern coastal route thru Brookings, Bandon
Suggestion where to stay this night enroute to Mount Ranier National Park?????

Day 10 & 11 Mount Ranier NP, arrival thru Longmire

Day 12 Departure via NE entrance Mt Ranier NP Rt 410 to Newhalem for North Cascades NP
(4 hrs 44 min, 217 miles)
Nite Newhalem area

Day 13 Newhalem area North Cascades NP

Day 14 Newhalem to Port Angeles for Olympic NP via Cascade Loop, WA Hwy-20, Port Townsend-Keystone Ferry, Hwy-101
Visit Port Townsend, Sequim, Port Angeles
Stay where?????

Day 15 & 16 Crescent Lake Lodge or Cabins, Hurricane Ridge Area & Sol Doc Area

Day 17 & 18 Lake Quinault Lodge
Hoh Rain Forest, Queets, Quinault areas

Day 19 To Portland for return flight via Aberdeen (101S - US-12E -I-5S) 3 hrs, 16 min, 185 miles

Would appreciate any guidance, information....thank you!!!
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 08:12 PM

My advice would be to fly home from Seattle. That would save you a lot of driving and time! It's a beautiful area, I was there last year and had a great time!
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 05:48 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The first thing you need to do is add at least 25% to the estimated drive times you're seeing on (I assume) Google or MapQuest. If the drive involves cities or national parks, make if closer to 35%, and remember those are "wheels turning" times that don't take into account stops for scenery, walks, meals, fuel, nature breaks, etc.

The second thing you need to do is rework the whole shebang from Day 7 onward. I won't say that traveling from Humboldt County to Mount Rainier with one night between is impossible, but it's pretty close. You'd essentially be ignoring one of the highlights of the trip, the southern and central Oregon coast, because you'd have to be driving so fast that things would be a blur out the window. Your schedule is "brittle" in that taking an extra day somewhere causes the dominoes to fall later - you wouldn't be able to make it up anywhere except by dropping a destination altogether. Even so, some of your days later in the plan, for example Day 12, are close to undoable, or if you were to do them, again, you'd be roaring through places that are worthy of much longer and slower visits.

I would start by trimming a couple of places off the itinerary. First, focus on the Jed Smith redwoods and forego traveling further south into California. Redwood National Park was created long after the State of California had "cherry picked" the best redwood groves as state parks (like Jedediah Smith or Humboldt Redwoods SPs) so swap some of the northern California days for more time on the Oregon coast.

I would then change the general route to include Olympic National Park as an extension of the coastal drive, going around the Olympic Peninsula clockwise. Skip North Cascades NP and go from Whidbey to Seattle, then to Mt. Rainier, then into Portland, either via I-5 or via Maryhill and the Gorge.

Here's a schematic map showing this approach. https://goo.gl/maps/rF5acWnWmkfibjKE7 . Of necessity, only a few key destinations are shown, but most of your "side trips" such as the John Day Fossil Beds can be added if you pick your overnight spots with care.

In general, the weather in September is going to be pleasant in the redwoods and the coast, and around Puget Sound, and pretty hot elsewhere. In fact, I'd give consideration to doing this route in reverse order, so as to get to the coast before any real risk of extended wet weather, and to the inland areas like Crater Lake and eastern Oregon after the peak heat (and forest fire season) has had a chance to pass.

You have gobs of time to research; I'd focus on what you want to see and experience, rather than looking at points on maps.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Aug 3rd, 2019 at 05:50 AM.
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 06:32 AM

Are you aware that lodging in the Newhalem area mostly consists of campgrounds or backcountry camping? Otherwise places like Ross Lake Resort or Buffalo Run Inn are in the general area, but do know that these are very rustic and even the town of Marblemount is tent tiny with basically two restaurants and two gas stations. This is the big town for the area, to give you an idea. Also, depending on when in September, you could encounter snow.
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 07:41 PM

I like Gardyloo's map better than your route. But, in case you don't choose to adopt it, here are a couple of days I just really don't think will work:

Originally Posted by hbo6
Day 2
Fort Hood/Timberline Lodge via Mt Hood Scenic Byway Rt 35 (1 hr 4 min 47.3 miles)
Stop at Lodge
Continue to John Day Fossil Beds National Monument (Painted Hills Unit)
via Journey thru TimeScenic Byway (3 hrs 47 min, 170 miles) or US-26 (2 hrs 49 mins, 144 miles)
Continue to Bend via UA-26W to UA-97S (1 hr 41 min, 82.2 miles) Possible stop in Smith Rock SP
Night in Bend
Day 2 I did a map of what you sited--by the way there's not a Fort Hood. I think you mean Mt. Hood.
It comes to 6 hours 28 minutes of driving, and that's according to Google, which needs a boost of yeah, 25 percent.

So my question for you is, how much do you want to see the things you see. Hood River, you are getting in the night before from the airport. You won't be doing any hikes at all, going to any breweries etc.

Often people drive down from Hood River and stop at fruit stands or the winery along the way, eat lunch in Parkdale for lunch and enjoy the views of the mountain. At that rate, you wouldn't get to Timberline Lodge until let's say, 2 pm. And then you won't get to John Day until 5-6 pm. And then Bend at 10 pm. Or so. Not sure where dinner would be. Also, realize that if you do drive after dark, back off on the speed. A friend of ours just hit an elk in Montana and it totaled their car.

I love Prineville and I actually like Sheep Rock Unit of the Fossil Beds. But I would either cut something else and stay out there--John Day, Wilson Ranch, Dayville, etc 1 night, or I'd let it go.

Day 3
Bend Sightsee morning
Continue to Crater Lake via northern entrance via 97S - 138 E
Night Crater Lake
You don't really allow enough time for Bend. I'd recommend you look at Newberry Crater, or the petrified forest, and then have lunch in Bend or Sunriver. Driving to Crater Lake late afternoon is definitely doable. But the road along the lake is really curvy and slow, I think you'd want to eat dinner in your car or after you arrive at the lodge, rather than driving in the dark. Tom or another who takes that route more can confirm--I come in from the west.

Day 9
Departure to Oregon via I-101 southern coastal route thru Brookings, Bandon
Suggestion where to stay this night enroute to Mount Ranier National Park?????

Day 10 & 11 Mount Ranier NP, arrival thru Longmire

Day 12 Departure via NE entrance Mt Ranier NP Rt 410 to Newhalem for North Cascades NP
(4 hrs 44 min, 217 miles)
Nite Newhalem area

Day 13 Newhalem area North Cascades NP

Day 14 Newhalem to Port Angeles for Olympic NP via Cascade Loop, WA Hwy-20, Port Townsend-Keystone Ferry, Hwy-101
Visit Port Townsend, Sequim, Port Angeles
Definitely Day 9 is a kamikaze mission. Please just don't do that. Gardyloo has suggested the best spots to see redwoods. Years ago, we didn't know any better, and honestly I thought the national park was disappointing. He's right on about this.

The drive is way too long.

But your next error in my opinion is trying to do Mount Rainier, North Cascades AND Olympic National Park. Now, MMS hikes the most and she can advise. But I suggest you drop one of them and give more time to the other. I guess I would say Mount Rainier takes my breath away. And also truthfully, many people in the Northwest never get to the North Cascades. So that's my 2 cents.

Day 19 To Portland for return flight via Aberdeen (101S - US-12E -I-5S) 3 hrs, 16 min, 185 miles
I would recommend you stay in Portland the night before you leave. You don't leave room for error with this choice. I have been to Aberdeen and it's kind of a long drive back. Vancouver Washington is a suburb of Portland and has no mass transit and two bridges that don't nearly meet capacity. So traffic can back way, way up I-5. Besides, Portland is a fun city. If you love the green spaces, hit Washington Park and the Japanese Gardens, or do the urban thing of Powell's food carts, aerial tram.

Hope my input is of help.

5 Alive

Last edited by 5alive; Aug 3rd, 2019 at 07:44 PM.
Old Aug 4th, 2019, 05:34 AM

5alive--I agree with everything you wrote. I didn't address most things because I was short and time and my response would have been pages, lol. I wasn't sure if the op wanted to hike or not since most hikers research on hiking sites, not here. The NC I think are my favorite since there are far fewer people anti is so rugged, so we do a lot of backpacking here. Mt Rainier is great, but you definitely have to work around the crowds. Yesterday the line at 9 am to get to Paradise was over 200 cars long, and at 11 to enter Sunrise it was 175 cars. Insane.
Old Aug 4th, 2019, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for responding to my post. I have decided to eliminate John Day Fossil Beds and North Cascades NP. I can’t, however, give up the Redwoods NP and will keep the four days in California to do the drives/hikes in all four parks….I love trees.

Gardyloo, I do like your suggestion on the route. Do I have to worry about snow in Mt Ranier NP mid-Sept? That is why originally I had it before Olympic NP.

Please help me with the Oregon coast section of this trip, how many days should we a lot? We do want to stop at some coastal towns and beaches but not an overwhelming amount.

I am also confused about the ferry from Olympic NP via Seattle to Mt Ranier.

Columbia River Gorge at the end makes more sense allowing more time and hotel at airport depending upon our departures.

I know this trip isn’t until next September “but” we want to stay in the National Parks that have lodging and I know from past experience this needs to be reserved when they become available. That is why I am trying to get the logistics in order. Thank you! Please input with my above questions.
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 06:36 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Here's an imaginary timetable for you to consider. Note the places listed are for overnight stops; spend the days as you see fit. Map - https://goo.gl/maps/1cTv18qpd17hW28Z7

1 Columbia Gorge
2 Columbia Gorge
3 Mt. Rainier
4 Mt. Rainier
5 Seattle
6 Port Angeles
7 Forks
8 Lake Quinault
9 Northern Oregon coast
10 Southern Oregon coast
11 Redwood country
12 Redwood country
13 Redwood country
14 Grants Pass
15 Crater Lake
16 Crater Lake
17 Eastern Oregon
18 Portland area
19 Home

This reverses the directions from the original map, by putting the Olympic Peninsula and the coast before the eastern areas. This will also allow you to keep the coast on the right hand side as you drive south, which can be of marginal benefit here and there.

I'd start with a couple of nights in the Gorge/Mt. Hood area, mainly because the destinations are fairly close to one another, and also because if you're arriving from the east it will take into account whatever minor effects the time change has on you. Visit Timberline Lodge, drive the Hood River fruit loop, etc. I'd probably stay in Hood River for both nights. Then head to Mount Rainier, entering from the east via the Stevens Canyon Road. If you're big tree fans, be sure to stop at the Grove of the Patriarchs en route to the Paradise area.

I'm proposing three locations on the Olympic peninsula for overnights - Port Angeles (for Hurricane Ridge) Forks (for the Hoh rain forest) and Lake Quinault (for Ruby Beach and the Quinault rain forest.) I'm proposing two locations on the Oregon coast - someplace on the north coast such as Cannon Beach, and someplace on the south coast, like Bandon. I've included three nights in the "redwood country," at least one of which could be in Ferndale, which gives access to the Avenue of the Giants as well as a possible excursion to the Lost Coast. Then a night around Grants Pass before Crater Lake, a couple at the lake (IMO only one needed) and the balance of the time heading back to Portland. I wouldn't necessarily drop the John Day area, but I'd definitely include a visit to Smith Rock State Park, a little north of Bend.

Re ferries: All you need to worry about is the ferry between downtown Seattle and Bainbridge Island. This is a big boat that leaves around every 40 or 45 minutes; the crossing takes roughly 35 minutes, and from Bainbridge on you're on roads. https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/

Re mountain weather - it's unlikely you'll encounter wintry conditions in the Cascades (Mts. Hood and Rainier.) However cloudy days can occur at any time, reducing visibility. That's why I put them first in the trip rather than later. Conditions in Olympic National Park and along the Washington, Oregon and northern California coasts will still be good through most of September, and if you encounter wet conditions, just remember they don't call them rain forests for nothing.

You've got plenty of time to plan, but I'd strongly encourage you to research some areas in depth to see what you'd like to do when you're there. I still feel like you're short-changing yourselves by trying to squeeze in too much in a limited time, but maybe your travel style is more aggressive.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Aug 5th, 2019 at 06:38 AM.
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

First of all, I would like to thank Gardyloo for your detailed input. I am most appreciative. I have revised my IT just a little different from your suggestion, putting the Gorge last.

Day 1 Arrival PDX - Drive to Mt Ranier NP via Nisqually Entrance (137 miles 2.5 hours) Night Paradise (Planning to arrive PDX early afternoon)
Day 2 Mt Ranier NP, Night Paradise
Day 3 To Port Angeles for Olympic NP (180.4 miles 4 hrs) Night Crescent Lake
Day 4 Crescent Lake
Day 5 Forks
Day 6 Lake Quinault
Day 7 OR Coast - night Depoe Bay
Day 8 OR Coast - night Bandon
Day 9 OR Coast - night in Klamath, CA or area
Day 10 thru 13 Redwood NP, Jedidiah Smith SP, Prairie Redwood SP, Humboldt SP (hope to book an AirBnB here)
Day 14 To Crater Lake NP (221.5 miles 5 hrs...we are early risers)
Day 15 Finish Crater Lake and travel to Bend, OR via north entrance Rt 138 to 97 N (90.7 miles 2 hrs)
I will finish the itinerary with Bend, Timberline Lodge, and the Columbia River Gorge. I wanted to get the National Parks finalized so I can book the lodging.

Thoughts?