Reload this Page >

Pacific Northwest in January

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 08:14 AM
Amy

I will be going on a business trip to Portland in January. I want to go on to Seattle and then to Victoria and Vancouver. Any itinerary/transportation suggestions? What will the weather be like?

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 02:33 PM
xxx

It will likely be cold and rainy during January. But that's not to say that you can't still have a good time. Just pack a raincoat and don't worry about getting wet.

That said, the drive from Portland to Seattle is fairly easy and takes around 2-1/2 to 3 hours. But be warned that the rain can get pretty intense through this area and the drive can be a little tense if there's a storm. You might want to consider taking the train to Seattle vs. driving it yourself.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 02:35 PM
ldsant

Amy: Have you done a search here first? There are MANY posts with this same ?. That being said, you need to tell us how long you are planning on being here and how long you have for your SEA-Vancouver portion.

The weather will most likely be rainy and chilly (like it is most days in December, January, and February). It is very rare that we get any snow. Hiking boots, jeans, and fleece will be fine.

Transportation - you can drive from SEA-Vancouver although with border restrictions, etc., I would strongly suggest you take the Amtrak train. You can see quite a bit of Vancouver without a car.

Seattle - Victoria can be done via the Victoria Clipper or ferry. Depending upon which one you take (and I'm not sure how often they run now that it's not summer) this can range from 2.5 - 4.5 hours.

Again, if you give us some suggestions as to what your interests are I'd be happy to provide an itinerary as well as I'm sure johnfsevy too. But, please do a search, there are lots of posts with this information.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 02:45 PM
t

Bring a warm coat and rain gear. We had snow on Thursday and a nasty storm all weekend. January won't be getting any nicer.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 03:20 PM
aaa

Re transportation suggestions: I suggest Amtrak from Portland to Seattle and from Seattle to Vancouver. It may occasionally be possible to drive from Portland to Seattle in 3 hours, but the last few times I tried it the time was more like 4-5. I am not talking about rush hour either. Accidents, water on the road, you name it, it is not a pleasant drive, especially in the winter. The train is much more relaxing and you can even look at some scenery along the way. The border crossing to/from Canada has become much slower if you go by car. Sometimes the wait is hours. Again, the train is more predictable and enjoyable. (Be sure to get the Pacific Northwest train; I think it is called the Cascades. The transcontinental trains have schedules that are, shall we say, less reliable.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 07:32 PM
zoe

I agree with aaa. The train is great. I don't know where you're from but don't judge Amtrak by a particular region. It's very poor where I live (south) but great in the Pacific Northwest; so much easier than driving in that rain! Highly recommend!

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 09:42 PM
ALF

Yes, the weather might be stormy, so you should visit some coastal areas to see potentially spectacular surf. I would suggest taking the Astoria bridge from Oregon to Washington, then drive up the Washington coast. There are all sorts of wonderful inns and beaches along the way. Turn east on Route 101 along the top of the Olympic Peninsula, then head over to Port Angeles, where you can pick up the Black Ball Line ferry to Victoria. After visiting Victoria, take the BC ferry from North Saanich to Tsawassen, just south of Vancouver. From Vancouver, drive down Interstate 5 to Seattle. That's what I would do, but I love pounding surf on beaches and don't mind rough ferry rides across the Strait of Juan de Fuca. If this is not your idea of fun, then head up the Interstate 5 to Seattle and Vancouver, or take the Amtrak.

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 07:15 AM
Amy

Thank you for your responses. My time frame is the end of January. After my conference I have about one week or so to tool around -I was thinking from Portland to Seattle to Victoria to Vancouver. Don't ski. It sounds like the weather will be lousy so I guess I should be looking for indoor activities. Most of the posts I see deal with trips in the summer, spring or fall when more outdoor activity is possible. Should I just go to SEattle and then on to Vancouver which I understand is a pretty big city? Still, the coast is supposed to be so beautiful there, I'd like to see some of that too. Any suggestions under these circumstances?

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 10:08 AM
ldsant

The weather isn't LOUSY -and there are PLENTY of outdoor activities around Seattle. Vancouver is like Seattle except that it's cleaner, the $$ is worth more, and it seems, in some places, a bit more polite

As far as indoor activities, there are some great art exhibits throughout the city, theatre, lots of movie places (art house films), etc. Check out http://seattleweekly.com or http://stranger.com before you come.

BTW, the weather in Vancouver usually maps to exactly what we're experiencing here in Seattle.

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 10:50 AM
John

Amy, the posters are right about crummy weather in January, but it needn't overly restrict you from some exploration. Some suggestions:
Near Portland, a day trip up the Columbia Gorge (at least as far as Multnomah Falls or Cascade Locks) is an easy and not-to-be-missed excursion. The falls are usually more spectacular in winter (not to mention fewer people) because of higher water volumes from all that good rain.

Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver all offer limitless choices of indoor activities during the winter, totally depends on your tastes. In Seattle the Pike Place Market and central waterfront are easy to see on wet days, and even more interesting than at other times of the year, again because it's more a "locals" experience than a tourist one. Ditto the Granville Island Market in Vancouver; you might consider staying at the Granville Island Hotel for a night or two, a nice enough hotel with wonderful access to the market or to the downtown "west end" areas via adorable little ferries that cross False Creek.

If you want to go to Victoria and if you have access to a car (either rented there or in Portland or Seattle for a "loop" itinerary), you can see some excellent stormy coast scenery in a comfortable day trip up the west coast of Vancouver Island - the equal or superior to most of what you could see in Washington or Oregon. The BC Ferry ride from Tsawwassen to Vancouver Island is the fastest, cheapest, and IMO the most scenic way to get from Seattle or Vancouver to Victoria.

Happy planning.