Reload this Page >

Pacific Grove/Cambria lodging

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Alison

My husband and I will be visiting San Francisco and the central coast the first week in April. We plan to make reservations for one night in Pacific Grove - any suggestions for somewhere within walking distance of beach and less than $120? The next day we plan to go to Pt. Lobos State Reserve and then head further south stopping along the way to do some short hikes in Big Sur. Our original intention was to stay overnight in Cambria and then drive back up to San Francisco on Rt. 101. But, we're not sure if we'll go that far and might instead head back towards Pacific Grove - kind of playing it by ear. My question is, would we have a hard time finding a decent hotel in Cambria or Pacific Grove for one night without reservations the first week of April (spring break week for a lot of folks)? Thanks for any help!!

Alison

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 05:02 PM
George

In Pacific Grove, might check out asilomar. State conference center, but they also rent unfilled rooms to the public. And they've got their own beach....

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 05:09 PM
kam

Always reserve ahead in this area! Your budget in Pacific Grove leaves me baffled. Pt. Lobos is wonderful and then allow 3-4 hours to drive Big Sur so you can stop along the way. I would overnight in Cambria at any of the very reasonable hotels on Moonstone Beach, or if they are too pricey, look at Morro Bay hotels. Short of turning around on hwy 1, I don't think you can return to Pacific Grove from Big Sur without going to Cambria. It's certainly worth an overnight--nice little town, shops, restaurants. Good luck.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 05:50 PM
joanna

P.G. has its own website-I believe it is Pacificgrove.org which lists all of the hotels. I found a place there last year for about that price but we had to leave because it had no window and only a sliding glass door with just a pin closure for security. The room also smelled awful.Whatever you do do not stay at this place. It is called the Olympic Motor Lodge-it was awful! There was another place that was about $140.00 a night. I think it was called Pacific Grove Garden or something like that. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 06:09 PM
Mary

Alison: I have booked motel room for us at "Borg's Ocean front Motel" in Pacific Grove for our trip in June. It is rated one diamond AAA and is 89$ for 2 Q non view. I have never been there but since it is AAA I am assuming it is OK. Hope this helps.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 06:33 PM
George

Don't like to repeat myself, but go to www.visitasilomar.com . From their web site: "Lodging rooms are available for leisure guests. Rates range from $106 to $123 per night (double occupancy) and include a full country-style breakfast each morning."

My wife and I stayed there last September, and it was delightful. Got one of the $120 rooms 'cause it had a fireplace.... And they provide the wood!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 02:48 AM
Alison

Thanks everyone for your replies. It sounds like we should definitely make reservations. I'll check out Asilomar and the pacificgrove.org sites. Thanks again!!

Alison