P.M. Kalaulau Trail Hike?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever hiked the Kalaulau trail late in the afternoon? If so, what was the experience like? It seems like mostly people say to get an early start, however, I've also read a couple of times that the sunset from the trail was awesome..... I was thinking of starting around 5:00 (the sunset will be around 7:20 that day). Is 2 hours enough time to Hanakapi'ai Beach and back?
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 06:31 AM
iceeu2

You're gonna hike 4 miles in 2 hours? Good luck! If you can find my recent trip report, you can see my trail experience.

It's beautiful! Don't miss it, but I would guess start earlier than 5. Maybe around 3 pm.

Old Jun 5th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Hhmmm.....from everything I've read, that was the indicated time it took which also is in line with my personal experience (i.e. 2 miles/hr)..... I suppose I can pad on a little time "Just in case." We're not planning on taking too much time at Hanakapi'ai Beach~just short breaks along the way as needed to catch out breath and take in the views.

Has anyone else timed this particular hike? I have "Ultimate Kauai," "Day Hikes in Kauai," and "Kaua'i Trails," and it didn't indicate that this particular stretch would take more than 2 to 2-1/2 hrs. r/t (of course unless you stop for an extended period).....?
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 06:26 AM

i did the 8 mile RT to hanakapa'i (sp?) falls in about 6 hours. i think it took me about 45 minutes to get down to the beach, if i remember correctly, but that is stopping occasionally for picture taking breaks. going back up, budget twice as long, esp. if it's sloppy out. so, IMO, 2 hours is really pushing it. it can be done in 2-1/2-3 hours if you don't stop for an extended period of time. i can't imagine rushing the trail. it's beautiful.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input! I guess we'll budget more time maybe 3 or 3-1/2..... We have friends who, like you, went all the way to the falls and swam there in about 6 hours. We aren't planning on hiking to the falls. Just an out & back to Hanakapi'i Beach for the views ....Anyone else do just the 2 mile stretch to Hanakapi'i Beach and back, and if so, how long did it take you?