Search

OWJ Goes to Washington

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OWJ Goes to Washington

Hello All,
Ok, so I didn't get elected on Tuesday (LOL) but my husband and I are going to DC for a much needed escape. We leave Sat. AM and fly home Tues. afternoon. We'll be going in and out of BWI because we saved a boatload of money that way ;-) but are staying at the Capital Hilton, 2 blocks from the White House thanks to Priceline.

Any suggestions for restaurants? We like good food of any sort. It doesn't have to be fancy, just tasty. We'll have a car so are not tied to just the downtown area.

What about nightlife? I'm not talking dance clubs but places we can maybe hear some live music, a good walking neighborhood, just somewhere a couple in their late 30s would like to hang out...

Thanks!
Debbie
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 06:03 AM

That's great!!
We loved going to the National Gallery and spent most of a day just wandering and appreciating their collections.
I liked shopping in Georgetown I remember getting around was easy with their Metro system.
I cannot remember any restaurants, but I send my good wishes for a happy weekend ...you two deserve it~
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 06:08 AM

I'd suggest Dupont Circle or Georgetown. Dupont you can walk to from your hotel fairly easily (assuming no rain) and even G'town really. not sure exactly where the Hilton is? what is the address?

what kind of food do you like? there's a TON of good restaurants.

I'd suggest checking this out:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn.../?nav=globetop
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 06:09 AM

I have no helpful info for you, but just wanted to say that I am really happy that you two are getting away and hope its a great trip You know we all want a report when you get back though!
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 06:38 AM

Hi OWJ!
Like a couple of the other posters, I really cannot offer any advice. Just wanted to wish you and your husband a wondeful little get away.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Flygirl--I think we're at 16th and K Street. The picture they show has the Washington Monument in the background so it looks to be a good, convenient location--whatcha think? I haven't been to DC since I was a kid and my husband hasn't been there in several years so there's lots for us to do.

We wouldn't mind a cool bar suggestions either. It's been 19wks since I had any alcohol pass my lips and after the last week, could really use a nip or two!

MMS--I promise, a good trip report to come

And Scarlett--where's are those shopping streets in G'town?

Weather is supposed to be good starting Sat. so hopefully we can do lots of walking.

Deb
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Oh and as for restaurants--we are not picky and are adventurous eaters. Love ethnic cuisine--Italian is probably my favorite, and my husband loves just about any kind of Asian and Mexican/Southwestern and we both love seafood. And we love wine...dessert...do we sound like total pigs now? I think I made it sound like we will eat our way through the city but we will go sightseeing, I promise!
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 06:56 AM

Even though you'll have a car, I strongly suggest you don't use it. Parking at most places is around $8 for the first hour and $15 for the day (i.e. one hour and one minute). Your hotel is very close Metro which will get you most anywhere you want. Even a $6 taxi (the flat rate for anywhere in central DC)for the two of you will usually be cheaper and more convewnient than trying to drive and park somewhere (if you can find any!).

Nightlife - take a taxi to Adams Morgan (say 18th st & Columbia Rd). there are tons of great dining and nightclubs of all types concentrated in a few blocks along 18th st. south of Columbia Rd. and along Columbia Rd. itself. It's about 12-15 long blocks from your hotel. No Metro station and absolutely no parking available (especially weekend nights). VERY east to get a taxi (even tons of taxis late at night in Adams Morgan to bring revelers home).

Here's the best place for nightlife listings:
http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/

Restaurants -
There are many good dining guides. The washington city paper (above), the washington post one listed by flygirl, and my favorite: Tyler Cowen's -

http://www.gmu.edu/jbc/Tyler/ethnic.html

My favorite "not too expensive" place is Jaleo near Archives metro station. They don't accept reservations after 6:30pm but don't let the wait scare you off - just grab a seat at the bar and enjoy the ambience.

http://www.jaleo.com/

Some other best bets:

"mostly inexpensive":
None of these places need a reservation unless noted otherwise.

Pizzeria Paradiso - 2029 P St., NW

Johnny's Half Shell - "Don't Miss!"
Moderately priced. Get a 1/2 an oyster or shrimp po' boy (available at lunch only) and some seafood gumbo. Don't skip the gumbo! Reservation needed at dinner (more expensive) but not at lunch.

http://www.johnnyshalfshell.net

Teaism - 2009 R St. NW Inexpensive. Best breakfast. Also good for lunch.

Brickskeller - 1523 22nd St. NW Inexpensive. Saloon type food, also has ENORMOUS beer selection.

Skewers 1633 P St. NW
Inexpensive - Middle Eastern

Bacchus - 1827 Jefferson Pl. NW
Lebonese - Moderate

C.F. FOLKS - Mon-Fri Lunch only - get one of the daily specials. Desserts du jour are heavenly.
http://www.cffolksrestaurant.com/DailySpecials.htm DON'T MISS!

Breadline - Mon-Fri Breakfast/Lunch only 1750 Penn. Ave. (2 blocks from White House). Have one person grab a table and the other go order food at the counter. If you show up after 12:15 for lunch, getting a table could be tough. Line moves very quickly, don't be put off by it.

A little pricier but oh so worth it:

These places are all in or near the Dupont Circle neighborhood. A walkable 8 blocks or less from your hotel, or one metro stop away. They will likely need a reservation between 7-9pm, especially weekends. Don't show up without calling first.

Johnny's Half Shell - 2002 P St., NW 202-296-2021

Obelisk - 2029 P Street, NW 202-872-1180

Pesce Trattoria - 2016 P Street NW 202-466-3474

Gabriel - 2121 P Street, NW 202-956-6690

Bistro du Coin - 1738 Connecticut Ave., NW 202-234-6969

Tabard Inn - 1739 N St., NW 202-785-1277
(very close to Capitol Hilton)

Iron Gate Inn - 1734 N St., NW 202-737-1370 (very close to Capitol Hilton)

Firefly - 1310 New Hampshire Ave., NW 202-296-7600

Komi 1509 17th St NW 202-332-9200

Vidalia - 1990 M Street, NW 202-659-1990 (south of Dupont, actually downtown)

The area right around your hotel is not the best for dinners (office gulch). Metro to Gallery Place, Dupont or taxi to Adams Morgan instead.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 07:04 AM

I actually really like the bar at the Tabard. It's small and very fun. You can also eat there if need be. The bar splays NPR by day and after 5 plays some very good jazz. This has been described as "the watering hole for DC progressives".
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 07:07 AM

I just read the list above. Another vote for the Breadline. Lunch was very good.

We liked Johnny's Half Shell as well. It really does feel like an Atlantic Seafood place. The bar scene is also fun there. I remember (after having dined there) reading Chelsea had been spied there.

Lots of folks really like Kinkade's. We felt it was a bit fussy but did have good food.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 07:30 AM

16th and K is a great location and that's a nice hotel.

Close by there are a lot of really interesting restaurants and such in Logan Circle (maybe 4 blocks north, if that). You also can easily Metro to Gallery Place/Penn Quarter/Chinatown, which is DC's new HOT nieghborhood with tons of restaurants and such.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 07:39 AM

Debbie,

Another great neighborhood is the U street area. Take the green line train to the U street. Metro stop. Again, this is a tough parking neighborhood (especially weekend nights).

Lots of great bars, clubs, and restaurants. There are over half a dozen Ethiopian restaurants within a few blocks of U street metro.

The very best (in fact the best Ethiopian place in DC) is Dukem - right by the Metro entrance. Very reasonable.

http://www.dukemrestaurant.com/index.html

If Ethiopian food isn't your bag there are LOTS of other cuisines nearby. My favorite is Cafe Saint Ex. - also good for just drinks (3 blocks from U st. Metro):

http://www.saint-ex.com
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 07:59 AM

Hi!

I don't have time right now to go into detail on the other stuff, but, if you really don't think you'll leave the city (and in 4 days, chances are you may not, or find you won't need or want to) I'd cancel the car rental.

unless of course you are using it solely to get to DC from BWI, in which case... not sure how much cabs would be, you might end up paying a lot less for cab fares to/from BWI than 4 days of car rental...

16th and K - maybe a 20 minute walk to Dupont Circle up Connecticut (more if you stop ). another 20 or so minutes into G'town. M street is the main drag! but explore back behind there too - lots of little places hidden all over.

I'm not sure if the waterfront places still have their patios open. if so, a really great thing to do on a nice day - sit outside, watch the boats, and have a glass of wine.

what did I say about not much time for detail? I'll be back later.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 08:23 AM
GoTravel

The Lincoln Memorial at night is heartstopping.

The Vietnam Memorial is the most moving thing I've ever seen.

Old Nov 4th, 2004, 08:47 AM

Also on P St is Mimi's American Bistro. The food is pretty good and the waitstaff entertains guest by getting up and singing. Talented staff.

Pizza Paradiso has very good food.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 09:01 AM

Hit DC Coast. It's a block or two down K Street. Great menu, better food.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 09:24 AM

We live in the VA suburbs and only come into the District every now and then, and when we do, our favorite restaurant by a long shot is JALEO.
Not only is the food really excellent and different, but you can get some cool drinks (try the white sangria or the choice of sherries). And it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, either.

Also I can echo the raves for Pizzeria Paradiso at Dupont Circle.

Old Nov 4th, 2004, 09:30 AM

I would reconsider the car.
M
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 10:07 AM

another thing I thought of re: car rental from BWI:

you'll add (waste) time to your coming/going by having to retrieve and drop off the car. I don't know your circumstances, but if you don't plan to leave DC I'd just take a cab from the airport. Or even the Marc train into Union Station. It's a gorgeous train station - you can even start your shopping there!

bardo1 gives an excellent list of restos.

if you are in Dupont Circle, you can walk UP 18th street (up the hill) to Adams Morgan which is a wanna-bee East Village. Lots of bars, more restos, little shops, etc. There is a bar called Madam's Organ which has live music frequently. Also many Ethiopian restos (someone told me DC has the most Ethopian restos outside of NY? or was it Addis Abbaba (that was likely a joke).

Neither G'town or Adams Morgan are easily served by metro, but if it's not raining close enough.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 10:09 AM
dcespedes

I agree with mikemo--you can take a train from BWI to D.C. Check out the following link for more information.

http://www.bwiairport.com/4grndtrn/in_amt.shtml

I hope you and your husband enjoy a wonderful time together and continue to find peace

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -