Outer Banks Vacation Rentals

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2011, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, Looking to rent a pet friendly house (it's just the 3 of us, so size is not an issue, and the dog is lazy, she sleeps all day and doesn't need a huge yard). We browse Craigslist but the few that we found in our price range and sent emails to never responded. We also check the vacation realty sites, which conveniently advertise something for "$725/week" but then tack on a $125 processing fee and another $100, and in their terms and conditions they mention that all ammeneties are subject to change without notice.. and that nothing is guaranteed.. which seems less than ideal...

Is there a better way, or maybe even a suggested site (if the weekly realty site is actually the best way) I'm a pretty new to this site, used it last year to help plan my trip to California, and it was great! Is there a rental listings section of this forum??? Or does anyone know of a place for under $1000 total on the outer banks??

Thanks for any and all info, much appreciated!
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 05:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are plenty of pet-friendly houses available on the OBX, both oceanfront and otherwise but if you want to avoid the processing fees, etc., then I suggest you use VRBO
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 05:23 AM

We rented various houses on the beachfront in the OBX for many years, mostly in South Nags Head. We always used Joe Lamb Realty and were very pleased with their service.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 05:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And Joe Lamb, and Sun realty, and all the others have processing fees.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you!

Well yes would like to avoid fees as much as possible... but won't rule out anything, our budget is in the $900 range..

Those site are tough to search, you can't just put $700 as a max (which would put us just over $1000 after fees and taxes...)

I will check all three of the sites you mentioned

We would like somewhere close enough to Duck so we could take our dog to the beach a few times (likely after hours... at night time.. since they allow unleashed dogs on the beaches..) but she's such a lazy dog that she would prefer to sleep all day while we go about our day...
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 06:09 AM

We have one rented for August in Corolla and we went through Twiddy realty. They specialize in the Duck/Corolla area. Pet friendly is a search option on their site. I have used both Sun and Joe Lamb before as well and had good experiences.

We have always used a realtor for the OBX. Unlike other places we have rented houses (Hawaii), there seems to be a lot more inventory and better inventory through realtors in the Outer Banks. Maybe I am wrong but that is definitely my impression.

Good luck searching!
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 06:42 AM

One other thought...Tripadvisor has an entire OBX rental section where homes are listed and people have reviewed them. I found searching them was not terribly easy but maybe that was just me. You could look there as well.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Will check tripadvisor too thanks!
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 11:10 AM

We always rent from agencies, that way you can be somewhat certain the house is professionally cleaned and if stuff breaks down while you are there (which happens, believe me!) they will come and fix it.

Lately we've rented from Elan Vacations and they've been fine.
http://www.elanvacations.com/
But there are many reputable rental agencies there.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 11:17 AM

BTW, when are you trying to go? $1000/week is pretty low. My guess is you'll be looking in Kill Devil Hills, Nagshead, and points south.

Try one of these agencies:
Sun Realty
Village realty
Carolina Designs Realty
Southern Shores Realty
Kitty Dunes Rental

They all have good search functions on their web sites.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 11:05 PM

There is a great site to give you information as well as beach house rentals in the Outer Banks area. Many of the places are "pet-friendly" too! What area of the Outer Banks are you planning to visit? I am sure you will find a great place! www.carolinasandandsurf.com
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, renting a place in duck, found it on VRBO

we got it for just under $1000 for the beginning of may, unfortunately we can't afford to go during the july august time.. maybe in a few years!

Any advise about the area is appreciated, we're excited to show our dog the beach!
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 08:57 AM

LetsGo - What subdivision will you be in?
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 09:03 AM

One other thing -- Dogs are allowed to play unleashed (but under owner control) in Duck, but the same is not true for every town. If you are not on the beach Duck has a 10' leash law.

Be careful where you let your dog run. The sand right on the beach is usually ok, but on the dunes (no! for environmental reasons too, especially in May when birds are nesting) or around the house there are likely some nasty sandspurs and thorns that you won't notice until your dog is limping. Shorebirds have babies in May that can't fly, so, obviously, don't let your dog chase the shorebirds if you can help it. Note the Outer Banks has a fair number of ticks too.