Our late Sept/early Oct Oregon trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It feels strange to write a trip report about the state where I was born, but after 26 years out of state, guess I'm as much a tourist as some of you.

In late Sept we flew in to Portland, picked up our son, and drove out for 3 nights at Manzanita. I really had trouble finding an affordable getaway spot tailored for 3 adults. We stayed at Coast Cabins which is about 6 blocks uphill from the beach. Their grounds are gorgeous, all the room treatments/accessories etc, were high end. Unfortunately, the cabin we had would have been better suited to only 2 people, and 2 people with almost no luggage at that! Plus, I felt it was pretty pricey for the amount of space we had, and for being so far from the beach. Very comfy bed, though.

It poured rain most of the three days.

Then, to Eugene to watch the Oregon Ducks beat the WSU Cougars. The vegetation there is always pretty in the fall, but I hate waking up to that misty, foggy, smelliness. Guess I've always like 'true' clouds.

I drove via Portland and the freeways to Baker City. Tried to stop for a breakfast at the Edgefield McMennimans but not for a 45 minute wait! So I ate outside on the deck overlooking the Columbia at one of my regular stops in Hood River.

When I was a child the Powder River running through Baker was a murky, roiled brown due to the Sumpter gold mining dredge. Now it's a beautiful little stream with an asphalt walking path along it (paid for by the foundation from one of Baker's past generous citizens.) I always try to have a meal at the old restored Geiser Grand Hotel when I'm there.

Next, I drove to Bend via Hwy 7 and Hwy 26. I had a quick trip and no traffic, maybe because two days before Bend had had an unseasonable 7" of snow! The mountains were clear when I went. I enjoyed the smell of sage, pine, and juniper coming in to the car. Bend has changed a lot since I spent my 6th birthday in their park.

I then went back to Eugene, picked up DH, for our return to Portland. On the way we stopped at a winery--OK, can't remember for sure, maybe Willamette. We sat on a deck up on the hill and watched the freeway traffic from I-5 crawling along in the distance.

I think I mentioned before that despite what mapquest, etc, say, my trip from Eugene to eastern OR was an hour shorter by going the route through Prineville (another place I've lived in the past!)

In Portland, of course we had breakfasts at the Tin Shed on Alberta--which we really love, and a happy hour dinner or two at Serrano's. OK, I'll get criticized for not remembering the name right, I think The Ringside, out on Glisan for great steaks. Yes, I know the original one is downtown. Sorry to learn they don't have lobby jazz at the Hilton any more.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Oops, meant no jazz at the Benson. I think the Hilton does have jazz. (aging brain!)
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 11:48 AM

Nice to hear your take on everything. Yes, things have definitely changes in some areas, especially Bend! We were over that way a few days after you. You have the right winery, right there near Enchanted Forest. I was born and raised here, but we too were gone for many years (military). We were so happy to be able to settle back here. But yes, there have been so many changes...some good, some bad...but it is still home
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

mms, in three years we hope! But we can't agree on a town.

Our Oregon friends all have lots of complaints--mostly taxes and over-development.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 01:00 PM

hopingtotravel--Those are our two big complaints too If we had our choice, we would have settled over in the Bend area, but of course the jobs are over on this side of the mountains. Oh well, at least it gives us an excuse for road trips!
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

You can always console yourself by thinking that Bend may run out of water someday. I thought I liked Hood River but it's too far from DH's fishing buddy.