Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Orlando, just got back..comments on resturaunts

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 03:33 PM
Jeff

Having a family of five, it was hard to eat cheap in Orlando. We did the best we could. Our hotel (Summersfield Suites) was across the street from a shopping plaza, containing, Sizzler, Stake& Shake, Gaordinos (spelling?) Pizza, and Tony Roma's Ribs.
We liked the pizza place...you will wait 30 minutes for your stuffed pizza, but its very good. The service was not good the night we went..our pizza came to us warm, but not hot..and we got it reheated. It was good, but should have been hot to start with.
Tony Roma's BBq, very good, excellent service (we went there two years ago as well). Prices..reasonable..food..excellent, very good baby back ribs and chicken.
Steak&Shake..if you're in a hurry forget it. We actually left the drive thru one day, after waiting 15 minutes..for milkshakes.
Sizzler, ate breakfast buffett there, $3.99
all u can eat..good food, but you can get a $3.99 breakfast anywhere in Orlando.
We ate at C&N steakhouse..no appetizers to speak of, best steak I'd had in a longtime, but pricey..we only went once. Excellent food, but too much for a family of five. ($80) We tried Longhorn Steakhouse in Kissimmee..if you like a good steak, don't go there. It was more than C&N, at $89, though we did get appetizers there. Definely NOT worth the money.
There was an Italian (family owned) Restaronte', right as you turn on 192, headed to Kissimmee, off of I-4 W. Excellent food..very good.
We also went to the Ponderosa on International BLVD. The absolute worst service we have ever had. Food was fair, prices fair, (we were eating lunch). Our server acted as if she was severely displeased to see us. She had one other table...and I had to get up an refill my own drinks. The mananger asked if I needed help..and I told him. He said the server was supposed to refill them. Instead our server was sitting three booths down from us with another worker, counting her tip money.
Bill Wongs Chinese food buffett, good food, variety, $13.95 per person, extra for beverages. I have two children who don't eat chinese food, so we fed them pizza first...then went there. We asked if we could just buy them ice-cream and cokes, while we ate buffett. Bill Wongs charged us $3.95 per bowl of ice cream..(2 scoops).
The chinese food it's self was good, but don't go if everyone doesn't like chinese food. There is no menu..buffett only.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 03:09 AM
Dawn

We had the same problems (family of four). We expected food to be cheaper and the choice more varied on I Drive but we got ripped off in most places. In Ronnies Steakhouse we were charged $173 for 3 adult and 1 child meal and I was the only person who had wine (2 glasses).
The 'all you can eat' places served food of questionable quality.
We had a great holiday but I wouldn't stay on International Drive again where everything is more expensive (including petrol)

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 10:12 AM
LW

Which summerfield suites hotel did you stay in? LBV or I drive? Was the hotel nice?

thanks!

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 02:47 AM
Bernie

If you are a group of 4 or more, why not stay in a house with private pool. It's much nicer and if you have more than 4 people it's cheaper too! Of course, some people don't mind spending a week or two in a motel bedroom with their kids ......

Regarding restaurants, if you're trying to budget, take the kids to McD's or BK then either leave them to watch TV or take them to the restaurant that you like.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 04:30 AM
Renee

Now that my children are old enough we've been doing just that and it works out great! Sometimes we order in pizza for them and have them it delivered to the hotel (they will do that) and let them play Nintendo or watch a movie while we eat a nice dinner. The other alternative is to drop them at a movie while you dine out and be there as soon as the movie lets out. We did this for the first time this year and it was a lifesaver. Of course this only works if they are old enough.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 11:29 AM
Kay

Depending on how much and what your kids eat, we found the Golden Corral to be the best of the buffets. The one at the north end of I-Drive and the one near WDW entrance were both quite good when we were there.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 02:19 PM
BTilke

The best and least expensive ribs are at Sonny's, a small, locally owned group of rib joints in the Orlando area. Friendly, prompt service, casual atmosphere, GREAT ribs, and low prices. I live in Europe, where nobody makes decent ribs (even though Denmark is the biggest exporter of babyback ribs to the States) and when visiting family in the Orlando area, make sure I satisfy my ribs cravings at Sonny's. Eat at Sonny's and support a locally owned business rather than a mega corporation.
BTilke

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 02:59 PM
Sue

BTilke---

We just love Sonny's, particularly the baby back ribs. They actually have locations in several southern states though, including North and South Carolina, Georgia, and of course, Florida. We drive 70 miles to Greenville, SC about once a month for lunch at Sonny's!

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 03:05 PM
Celeste

Being an Orlando resident, I can tell you that there is plenty of good and reasonably priced food in the Orlando area, but certainly you have to get away from the tourist areas to get it!

On the other hand, I'll enter the TZ (Tourist Zone) and fight the crowds to eat at Romano's Macaroni Grille in Lake Buena Vista and Bahama Breeze on International Drive - both are worth the wait!

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 07:19 AM
greg

From another Orlando resident I'll second the Macaroni Grill vote. We just love it. Great food, reasonable prices and good place to take the kids as it can be pretty noisy. Try the chicken marsala Yum