Reload this Page >

Orlando Beach-Day & Best Show

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 07:56 AM
herb

We are vacationing in Orlando (not our first) in a couple of weeks and we thought we might enjoy a day at the beach. Have never been to a Florida Beach and I was wondering if someone could suggest the best location for a day trip from Orlando.
Also, I'm wondering which of the Millenium Shows should we see? Epcot or Magic Kingdom? Or is there another?

Thanks,
Herb

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 05:35 AM
rob

if you want a beach without the t-shirt shops and tiki bars go to canaveral national seashore across the river from titusville....also called playlinda bch. you might even see the shuttle on the launch pad. the only hints of civalization are the parking lots and porto-toilets.
my next choice would be the beaches just north of cocoa bch (jetty park) or south of cocoa bch (satellite bch, melbourne bch, indialantic boardwalk)...although cocoa bch itself isn't that bad....much better than daytona in my opinion.
of course theres the west coast... we like the bch at fort desoto south of st. pete bch.

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 10:40 AM
herb

Thanks Rob, this is exactly the information I was looking for. The Canaveral National Seashore sounds like just the kind of thing we were hoping to find.

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 01:50 PM
phil

The millennium show at Epcot was amazing. Great fireworks and laser show!

Old Aug 5th, 2000, 08:11 AM
Carl

Rob and Phil are exactly right concerning their suggestions. I too love Ft Desoto and the west coast beaches and the show at Epcot is the better of the two. I believe the shuttle is scheduled to launch around the 1st or 2nd week in Sept(Sept 8??)so if you could make it at that time you will have an awesome experience.

Old Aug 5th, 2000, 12:56 PM
CMcDaniel

Carl is correct. We were at the Kennedy Space Center Wednesday and a launch is scheduled for Sept 8. The shuttle was not yet on the pad.

We live in the Tampa Bay area, not far from Ft. Desoto. That is a quiet, more removed beach, but IMHO there are prettier in this area--Caladesi Island, or the Sarasota beaches. Though the beaches are prettier on this coast, we find the Atlantic coast noticeably cooler and less humid than this area. You'll undoubtedly find it hot and humid in comparison to wherever you live, but compared to this section of the West coast, it was a breath of fresh air!

Old Aug 6th, 2000, 03:36 PM
ISaw

Please note ahead of time that the Playalinda Beach has traditionally been for nude sun bathers...the local police have "cracked down", I understand.

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 06:52 AM
herb

Thanks for the information. Sorry to hear that Playalinda Beach is no longer a nude beach. That would have been quite a surprise to spring on my wife.
I think we will try on the Atlantic Beachs and definitely we will try to view the show at Epcot.
Anyone know how long it takes to drive from Orlando to the Atlantic Coast (around Jetty Park area)? It looks like about an hour or so on the map.

Thanks,
Herb

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 07:31 AM
rob

Playlinda really isn't a nude bch...there is an area that is known for that but its a long walk from the northern most parking lot. jetty park is about 45min to 1 hr drive.....depending on your location.....you'll probably take the bee-line and follow the signs to port canaveral....when you see the cruise ships, you're there.
also, playlinda is usually closed a day or so before a launch......it is KSC property.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 08:25 AM
amber

Epcots parade is great if you get a good view. The Animal Kingdom was great day out the, you must see the Lion King Show!! I'd say Animal Kingdom is much better for a day out,not Epcot,but it all depends what sort of things you like.