Oregon/Washington Routes - Columbia River Gorge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2023, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No matter how much I read and research I remain confused about the routes around Hood River and all the falls. We will depart Portland and travel hwy 26 down around Mt. Hood and up hwy 35 to Hood River - where we will spend the night. If time allows, I'm hoping for a trip over to MaryHill Museum, but unclear of the route from Mt. Hood as it seems you can go on the Oregon side or the Washington side to MaryHill. Traffic/Roads? Best scenery? Bridge choice? THEN - when we leave Mt. Hood to see all the falls on our way back to Portland I'm totally confused between I-84, Columbia River hwy (I think, hwy 14?) and hwy 30. Does one need to go on both sides to see the most/best falls? If not, what route is best? It's very confusing to me and I find some maps calling these roads different names. Can anyone help with these two, final questions?

As ever, I certainly appreciate the assistance!
Linda
Old Sep 30th, 2023, 11:30 AM

We did the "falls tour" in June by car. Left portland and went to Troutman to get the "river road" that parallels (I think) I 84. It was a wonderful drive--almost like a rain forest. I think we went just past Multumnah and then took I84 back to Portland. Maybe this will give you some idea.

In the town of Troutman (WONDERFUL little town not far from Portland) there is an ice cream place not to be missed!
Old Sep 30th, 2023, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Gretchen!
Old Sep 30th, 2023, 12:52 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Vancouver/Seattle/Portland Sept/Oct