Oregon vacation itinerary

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oregon vacation itinerary

This is a repost using a new title

Hi,

I know this is a well worn topic, so please bear with me. I have studied hundreds of messages here to come up with what I think is pretty good, but I still would like your opinions on what might be cut/added. I am particulary in the dark as to where to stay in the Sisters/Bend area.

I don't like a lot of driving so I've tried to divide it up into moderate drives every couple of days. We are in our mid-50s and like to do day hikes of 5-10 miles with an elevation gain of ~1500' or so as well as the usual sightseeing.

Here's the tentative itinerary:

Day 1
Arrive PDX early afternoon, drive to Yachats (~3 hours). Overnight at Overleaf Lodge.

Day 2
Hike Cape Perpetua/shoreline, maybe go up to Aquarium at Newport. Overnight at Overleaf Lodge.

Day 3
Drive to Crater Lake (~5-5.5 hours) stopping somewhere in Eugene for lunch. Overnight at Crater Lake Lodge.

Day 4
Hike around Crater Lake, do the boat trip. Overnight at Crater Lake Lodge.

Day 5
Drive to Bend-Sisters area (~3 hours). Not sure where to stay. Someone suggested Black Butte but it seems to be more longer term rentals.

Day 6
Have read there is good hiking in the Sisters area but unsure where. Overnight same place as above.

Day 7
Drive to Mount Hood (~3 hours). Overnight at Timberline Lodge.

Day 8
Dayhike part of theTimberline Trail. Overnight at Timberline Lodge.

Day 9
Drive to Hood River then on to Portland via Columbia Gorge (hike, sightsee most of the day). Overnight 5th Ave. Suites Hotel.

Day 10
Hang out in Portland—Chinese& Japanese Gardens, wander Pearl, Powell's, etc. (still researching). Overnight 5th Ave. Suites Hotel.

Day 11
PDX and Home

This is all dependent, of course, on getting reservations for late July. Am I too late for any of these places?

TIA for any suggestions.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 10:16 AM

You've clearly put some good thought into this itinerary, Craig. It looks great to me. I wonder though, if you'll not regret giving yourself more time on the coast. Maybe cut back a night at Timberline Lodge.

You may be too late for reservations at Crater Lake Lodge. Best do that ASAP. If you can't get anything there, I think the best fall-back might be Prospect Hotel, 25 miles SW.

Black Butte is a longer-term rental place: usually a week at that time of year. Try the Lodge at Suttle Lake a few miles west of there. Beautiful place, just a couple years old. And still close enough to Sisters.

My favorite trail around there is Canyon Creek Meadows, which ends (for most) at a cirque at the base the Three Finger Jack peak. If you're planning this when wild flowers are in bloom.... I get chills just thinking about it. ;-) We also like Tam McArthur Rim, though the scenery isn't quite as dramatic.

Hopefully mms will chime in here too.

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 10:39 AM

In the Sisters area I love to stay at Camp Sherman/ Metolius River area - Lake Creek Lodge is one I have stayed at and enjoyed. Another is the Metolius River Resort- beautiful cabins on the river
http://metoliusriverresort.com/

This area is just across the Hwy from Black Butte- there are some nice hiking trails along the river.
Suttle Lake Lodge is also great- I will be staying there next month in the cabins.

I agree Canyon Creek Meadow is a great hike however there was a big forest fire that went through part of it a couple of years ago so you do have to walk through a burned out area - its beautiful once you get to the meadow though.
In the Bend/Redmond area you might enjoy a hike to Smith Rock - world famous for rock climbing. Very interesting area- you can do a fairly easy hike or a more challenging one.
Iron Mountain is also a great wild flower hike and is not very far from Sisters/SweetHome- peak season is the first or second week of July for the flowers- its a 1200 ft elevation gain and is spectacular!!

Closer to Bend is Sun River Resort, another favorite. They have great bike trails, close to some nice hikes, river rafting, canoeing and they have some short term rentals. Bend is a very fun city - I think I would prefer to stay there than Sisters - but both are nice-
Bend being larger and more to do in my opinion.

If you are stopping in Eugene for lunch you might want to drive out to King Estate Winery for lunch - beautiful spot in the wine country.

Enjoy!!
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 11:05 AM

I agree with beachbum that more time on the coast would improve this well-thought-out itinerary.

Crater Lake Lodge is the one place you are likely to have difficulty booking a room. If so, keep trying up until the last minute; cancellations are often made about 72 hours before arrival.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 01:57 PM

Lots of good info so far.

We go to Sunriver several times a year and love it. There are two types of lodge rooms there that you can book for short stays. The nicer River Lodge as well as the regular. My all time favorite hike in that area is the South Sister. Now, to summit, the hike is more than what you said you want, BUT you can head up the trailhead and then once in the plains, decide if you want to continue or not. If not, there are still some stunning views from right there, so definitely worth it!

In Sisters, our favorite place to eat is the Ski Inn. A total dive looking place, but great burgers and breakfasts.

Hiking near Timberline is really pretty. We have done the Timberline Trail in August and found quite a few spots of snow still. Not big areas, but enough to go play in for a bit, which is really nice on a hot day.

Crater Lake is amazing. Glad to see you plan for the boat tour. We did this last summer and really enjoyed it. BTW, Crater Lake to Sunriver was only about 90 minutes, so if you can't get a room near CL, take this into consideration.

I am sure I will think of more, but I think with everyones ideas you have a lot to go on already!
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. We ended up adding a day in Yachats, doing 4 days at Suttle Lake Lodge (thanks beachbum, it looks fabulous!) one of which we'll cruise down to Crater Lake since the Lodge there is booked, then a night at Timberline Lodge, then on to 5th Ave. Suites in PDX.

Now we just have to wait six months
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 07:26 AM

I am staying at Suttle Lake Lodge in the cabins the first week of Feb - will let you know how they are. We are going to be doing a moonlight ski one night.
Anyway, the hikes that are listed in my previous post are not too far from there so maybe you will try one of them.Also there is an easy trail around Suttle Lake.
Also the Metolius/ Camp Sherman area is not far and I think worth a drive over. Its one of my favorite spots in Oregon.
There is a great restaurant there but reservations required usually- called the Kokanee Restaurant.
I understand the restaurant at Suttle Lake is going to reopen- you can sit on the dock and watch the osprey fishing while you dine. Hope you enjoy your trip
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Sunbum. Suttle Lake seems like a good hub to explore the area and Canyon Creek Meadow looks like it's right right around the corner. Have a great trip.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 04:47 AM

McMenamins has a property in Bend (http://www.mcmenamins.com/) and they're always fun places to stay. This one's in a restored Catholic school house.