Oregon to San Simeon suggestions

Old Jul 11th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oregon to San Simeon suggestions

We are planning a short road trip from Eugene, Oregon, to the Hearst Castle. We are thinking in the 5 day ranges. We plan on driving to Sacramento, staying the night there. We would like to see the Sequoias, and then cutting across to the coast road to San Simeon, so we could spend two nights there to see the Hearst Castle, and coming back up the coast hiway back home. Does anyone have any suggestions? Places to stay, other routes, etc. Any help would be appreciated. We would like nice, but now outrageously priced, places to stay. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 12:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
San Simeon is 740 miles from Eugene. If you are going to spend two nights there, you won't have time for another other than the "Hearst Castle." You will miss a great deal. What not take a little longer so you can enjoy the coast line between San Francisco and Cambria? And the Sequoias? I assume you know the Oregon coast inside out.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WE would love to see the Sequoias, but it looks like they are a long way from San Simeon, like clear across the state. Would one extra day be enough to drive that distance and see the Sequoia?
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 10:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That wouldn't be any fun. If you haven't seen the Redwoods, you could easily take them in on your way up or down. Also, please don't miss Highway 1 between Monterey and Cambria.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 12:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're going to the Hearst Castle, I would book rooms in Cambria, rather than San Simeon. Cambria has great places to stay and eat. San Simeon doesn't even have a town, it's just the castle and some ugly hotels.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 01:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree. Cambria is the place to stay.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So either of you have a place to recommend in Cambria? Places to stay and eat? Also, how far is Cambria from San Simeon? Any recommendations would be appreciated. We are taking two really nice cars,and would like a place where they would be safe. Thanks so much
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 03:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cambria is only 4-5 miles south of San Simeon.

The best place to eat is The Sow's Ear Cafe. It's cozy and romantic, but make a reservation: 805 927-4865. Robin's is another popular place, but I've never eaten there. Don't be suckered into the disappointing Brambles Dinner House.

Stay on Moonstone Beach Drive. All motels are across the street from a wonderful boardwalk along the coast. Many claim Pelican Suites to be the best place to stay, but it is really expensive. I've stayed at the popular Fog Catcher Inn which has nice rooms, but I think it is overpriced. Check out the Best Western Fireside Inn, which I understand has been recently refurbished.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 03:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I should add that your cars will be as safe in Cambria as any place in California.