Search

Oregon in August

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2016, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oregon in August

Just starting to plan my trip: arrive in Portland at noon 8/15 Monday: husband and our 2 boys ( 18 and20) Stay one night in Portland and pick up rental car. Not sure where to stay as our base (4 nights)for the Gorge, fruit loop trail, Mt Hood. Looking for cabin and prefer that it would be close to fishing. We plan on heading out daily to hike, drive and see the sites, fish etc. Also need help with driving routes and hikes not to be missed.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 05:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
You only have 4.5 to 5 days to see all that and fish?
Would they rather fish in a lake or in a river?
If you spend a night in a suite in downtown Portland, it will cost more than any savings you would get by renting the car downtown.
Use the TriMet Red line to go downtown and see what you want to see in the afternoon and then rent a car and head east on I-84 to Hood River. On the way out to Hood River see Multnomah Falls (Oregon's tallest).
Plan on getting up to Timberline on the south side of Mt. Hood.
If you had a day or two more, I would suggest Lake Billy Chinook. They have boat rentals (including houseboats).
Watch the sail boarders and kite boarders on the Columbia River near Hood River.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 06:12 AM

Looks like a good plan Do you have lodging in Portland secured yet? If not, I would do that asap since in the heart of downtown places are expensive in the summer. Two places that have free parking that you might consider are the Inn at Northrup Station up in the NW area and then the Kennedy School which is a McMenamin property (fun, unique places in OR and WA) on the east side, but only about a 10 minute drive to the heart of downtown.

As to where to find cabins for the rest of your trip, take a look anywhere from Government camp over towards Parkdale. That stretch has quite a few cabins argued locations for hiking. Of course if you stay around Govt Camp, you are much closer to hikes right on the mountain such as the Timberline Trail and numerous ones right off the highways. Parkdale is a better base for hikes in the gorge.

You can rent cabins at Lost Lake, and they have boats to rent as well and you can fish there, but it is a campground "resort" if you will, so you will not be in a secluded area. Great views of Mt Hood from there though, and a nice little trail around the lake.

We are big hikers and absolutely love both areas! I hate to make specific suggestions though without knowing what you are looking for in terms of distance and elevation. Take a look at www.oregonhikers.org and www.wta.org for finding hikes using the filters for your preferences. We are locals and use both when we are trying to decide. All that said, if you are up for it, Dog Mtn and Hamilton Mtn (both on the WA side of the gorge) are great workouts with stunning views!!! Wildflowers will be gone by the time you are here, but they are still very much worth it!
Old May 23rd, 2016, 08:48 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
It doesn't sound like you're terribly interested in urban/city things, so frankly what I'd do is spend the first night at McMenamin's Edgefield - http://www.mcmenamins.com/Edgefield - a few minutes east of the airport. I'd get the rental car when you land, maybe visit Powell's Books and have an afternoon nosh in the city, then head to the Edgefield in time for barbecue and relaxation on the big patio, maybe a movie in the funky theater, and call it a day.

Then I'd head to the Hood River area for the rest of your stay. Hood River (including the Washington side of the Columbia, White Salmon up to Trout Lake) is super convenient for visiting the western part of the Gorge with all the waterfalls (look up Oneonta Gorge for an amazing August hike) and also for visits up the Hood River Valley to Mt. Hood. You can also explore the Gifford Pinchot/Mt. Adams areas north of White Salmon (often overlooked by visitors) as well as places farther east like Maryhill (museum, Stonehenge) and Goldendale (accessible observatory with public access and viewing.)

Not sure about the fishing plans; there will be some lake fishing and trout fishing in the likes of the Hood or White Salmon rivers, but probably no salmon fishing in the region as any fish will likely be transient spawners making tracks in the Columbia. A visit to the Bonneville hatchery is a must though, to see the fish ladders and pay a visit to Herman the Sturgeon, an ancient and huge fish that's been thrilling visitors for over 50 years.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

The fishing will be more about fishing vs catching. Just want to drop a line in the water and enjoy the peace and quiet and unplug. I am interested in city things but nobody else is interested. I have looked for lodging and things are full. What about Rhododendron as a base.? We understand we will have to drive
Old May 23rd, 2016, 09:26 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Rhododendron is fine; there are lots of cabins in the area, including around the Zigzag River.

I'd also look at Trout Lake WA. It's under the radar but has a lot going for it.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 10:11 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Go to Trillium Lake - It's stocked with Rainbow Trout!
Here is the geocache with a clickable map.
https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC3N2B7_day-use
It's not too far from the intersection of Rt. 35 and US 26.