Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Oregon family trip Aug1-7. Need lodging/itinerary suggestions.

Old Jul 26th, 2018, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Hi All! Kids are 23 and 21 and Im trying to take last minute trip with them before school/work puts us in 3 different states. Flying into PDX Wed Aug 1 and back out midnight Tues Aug 7. Wish list is:
Portland city tour
Columbia River Gorge
Waterfalls
Redwoods
Oregon Coast-Cannon Beach? Astoria stop (Gooonies fan)
Seattle city tour.
Hoping to divide stay between 2 locations/hotels and day trip with family time at night in great hotel lobby for cards/visiting. Would be nice to be able to walk to restaurants in evening after being in car during day. We love 1-3 hour hikes, National Parks, beach walking/sitting, sidewalk cafes/patios, modern art museums, acoustic guitar/live music scenes.
I know its last minute. Thank you so much for any hotel suggestions and intineraries. Thinking Portland: city tour, river gorge, McMinnins(sp?) and then maybe 2 nights on coast in great ocean front/view lodge, and maybe overnighting in Seattle last night and driving back to PDX next day. Welcome all suggestions.
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 08:49 AM

Welcome to Fodor's!

Man, you're really late in looking for accommodation in the popular tourist areas. Things are going to be very tight.

You're also going to need to narrow your aims big time - from PDX the nearest redwoods are a day's drive; Seattle is 4 hours or more in awful traffic, and the two national parks that are in range (Mt. Rainier and Crater Lake) will be fully booked and full of cars, not to mention 4 to 5 (mostly boring and/or hot) hours in the car each way to reach. Unless you've recently won the lottery, forget about Seattle hotels in cruise season.

Frankly, if it was me I'd make it a two-area plan and call it good. Head out to the coast - Cannon Beach, Seaside, Astoria - wherever you can find accommodations - for part of the trip, and the Columbia Gorge/Mount Hood/Hood River area for the rest. There's plenty to do and see in both places, and this will make logistics much easier all around.

If you want to experience McMenamins' places, you might look at their hotel in Gearhart on the coast, and the Edgefield in Troutdale, on the edge of the Columbia Gorge. You can make numerous day trips from either to explore the areas. https://www.mcmenamins.com/stay
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 09:05 AM

Wow! ditto everything Gardyloo says. If you don't have accommodations yet -- get on that NOW, like this minute. Then plan your itinerary around where you can get in. But the Redwoods, OR coast, Columbia River Gorge, Portland, and Seattle is totally impossible in 7 days.

If you want coast -- do JUST the OR coast and general Portland area. And since apparently you have to return to Portland to fly home that pretty much eliminates visiting Seattle (unless your drop the coast)
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 09:22 AM

Yeah, the redwoods part really doesn't 'fit' in this scenario.

My first gut vibe is that you should spend the first night or two in central Portland and maybe not pick-up a rental car for a day or two. (lower rates off-airport and you won't have an overnight parking charge at a downtown hotel that way)

You can make day trips out of a few of those wishes... Columbia Gorge (Multnomah Falls), Oregon coast.

If you have to get to Astoria anyway, and IF anybody present was into the "Twilight" movie series, it wouldn't be too taxing to visit St. Helens, OR to see where some of the first Twilight movie was filmed.

Seattle does add a challenge to your trip, and of course it would go better if you were flying out of Seattle.

Worst of all, it will be THE biggest tourism week of the year in Seattle, so lodging will be pretty pricey indeed.

(many times you can effectively get around the extremely-high Seattle hotel prices when using Priceline, but I just wouldn't bet on it during Seafair week)

Possibly a tolerable alternative to an expensive night in central Seattle might be a Seattle-airport hotel near the light rail, which whisks you directly into central Seattle.

Good luck with everything!
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 10:57 AM

Check the Embassy Suite in Portland. I was able to get in there last year on short notice at a good price. It was close to public transportation from the airport and convenient for pretty much anywhere. Portland has a good Hop On Hop Off tour. I found it helpful to get familiar with the city. They also have a tour to the Columbia Gorge that can be purchased as an add on or separate. There was also a guy that gave free walking tours of the city. He started in Pioneer Square. I did not take his tour but the Hop On Hop Off might get pricey for 4 of you.
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 02:17 PM

Personally I think you skip Seattle and do Oregon & SW Washington. You can certainly get rooms on the weekend in Portland area. What is your budget?

To stay at the Oregon Coast, don't go for weekend nights (Fri/Sat and even Thurs). I would suggest Sunday night and Monday night, with Tuesday night back in Portland before you fly out Wednesday. Even then, Cannon Beach is pretty much full up on booking.com

Your best beach options:
Astoria: 6 or 7 hotels including two national chains and one regional (Shilo Inn)
Gearhart: Quiet small town just south of Astoria. One of my old standbys is Gearhart by the Sea is available. Each condo is different but it's a quiet place and decent.

Rockaway, Manzanita, Oceanside, Cape Kiwanda, etc: These are all great little towns, but pretty small. Lovely beaches with capes and rocks. Mostly you will be finding beach houses at this point but there may also be hotels... Tillamook itself is not on the beach but has a couple of things to go see.
Lincoln City--A little further south, a lot of hotels here typically.

Newport--I know you didn't ask for Central Coast, but when I did a quick scan, I saw one of my favorite chains of hotels were open for your dates. I really like the Hallmark Resorts. Again, I don't know your budget though.

Generally, I am a fan of staying by Newport. They have a great lighthouse, a cool aquarium, the OSU Marine Science Center, the working fishing port and downtown, in addition to a nice beach. Hopefully the link works.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/hal...al;type=total&
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 03:08 PM

For Portland, it really matters how much you want to spend. Fun to stay downtown, but you can save money if you don't. Embassy Suites downtown, sure. Also the Eastlund is sometimes on sale I think. Lots of new hotels-- I can't keep them straight. The Hi Lo (Marriott), Canopy (Hilton) in the Pearl looks really nice, a new Hampton Inn (I think it's open?). The Porter?

To save a little--South Waterfront (street car to the door of the also new Hyatt House). Or go over the river (Doubletree, Crown Plaza), These often have room if there's not a convention at the moment. Doubletree is newer and shinier.

Columbia Gorge-- You can try for a hotel in Hood River, there tend to be more than in Cannon Beach Otherwise, the biggest hotels are probably Skamania in SW Washington (often on sale on the travel sites, nice setting, great food and pretty golf course). I think there's a Best Western in Cascade Locks that often has rooms. The Dalles gets awfully hot this time of year.