Oregon Fall Trip Recs Please and Thanks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2023, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I would like advice from residents/travelers of the Pacific Northwest. I am making a trip (solo) in late-September into early-October. Total trip duration is 12 days, but minus flights more like 10. I'll be flying into and will be based in Portland. While in Portland I was thinking of making a series of day trips or overnight trips where it makes sense. I will plan to rent a car. Would love to experience some beautiful views, hikes, outdoor activities, outdoor art, and then opportunities for some good food.

The spots I have been reading about include Mount Hood, Cannon Beach, Bend, Astoria, Columbia River Gorge, Salem. I have been to Portland, but have not been to any surrounding cities. Would love guidance and advice from seasoned travelers or residents.

Thanks,
Mike
Old Jul 29th, 2023, 07:43 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
My usual recommendation is for something like a "figure 8" plan (map - https://goo.gl/maps/1hp14UQSN4uuEh4HA ) which includes both the coast around the mouth of the Columbia River, and the Mount Hood/Columbia River Gorge area east and southeast of Portland.

However, a caveat: even in late September it can still be (indeed, often is) fire season in the Cascdes and especially the eastern approaches to the mountains. There's no way of knowing at this stage, but it would be wise to monitor conditions in the region and to be prepared to alter your plans if fire or smoke conditions become an issue. Some years ago a disastrous fire swept through parts of the Columbia Gorge; things are just now recovering in places.

That said, I'd google the places on the map. The Hood River Valley can be awesome in the early autumn as all the orchards and vineyards move into harvest mode. If the rains have started, the waterfalls in the Gorge can be terrific, and early autumn color in the Mount Hood high country, as well as in places like spectacular Smith Rock State Park, near Bend. Google "Hood River Fruit Loop." as an example of things to see and do.

You might want to consider bases outside of Portland for a couple of nights each - Astoria or Cannon Beach (or Ilwaco, WA) on the coast, Hood River in the Gorge - in order to make touring more comfortable and less trafficky.

Happy planning, it's a terrific region!
Old Jul 29th, 2023, 09:05 AM

Silver Falls State Park is a great hike. It is about 20 miles from Salem. The trail takes you to 10 different waterfalls. The trail goes behind a couple of the falls so the water is gushing out over your head. Its a beautiful area- can get crowded but might be less so that time of year.

Another nice hike with beautiful fall color is Clear Lake- It would be too far to do as a day trip from Portland though. Bend, Sisters or Eugene would work. There is a trail about the lake that is quite easy- you would be walking over some old lava flows. You will likely see eagles or osprey fishing.
Hopefully there won't be any fires in the area.
Old Jul 29th, 2023, 09:40 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
With 10 full days in Oregon, I would plan on no more than 3 in the city. With the caveat of wildfire smoke causing unhealthy air, plan on 3-5 days on the coast anywhere from Seaside south as far as Newport and the Oregon Coast Aquarium. If Crater Lake is not smoky at the time, leave the coast on Rt. 38 from Reedsport. About 5-6 miles east of Reedsport, you can see Roosevelt elk from a viewing area. Continue east on 38 to the east end of Elkton to Rt.138 to get to I-5. Take 5 south to Roseburg to get on the east section of Rt. 138 to get to the north entrance of Crater Lake NP. If you can't get lodging at the Crater Lake lodge, you have a good option at Diamond Lake. For sure get to see Crater Lake even if it is marred by smoke. The north entrance of Crater Lake NP is 90 miles from Bend. Among the great things to see in the Bend area are the High Desert Museum and the Lavalands Visitor Center.
Leaving Bend, head north on US 97 to Madras where you get on US 26. At Government Camp turn north on Rt. 35 to come down to Hood River. Spend at least 1 night in Hood River before heading back to PDX. There are some great waterfalls on the old US 30 if you want to detour off I-84. If you don't want to get off I-84, you can take a left exit to a parking lot where you can see Multnomah Falls. Multnomah Falls is the highest waterfall in Oregon.
On a rainy day in Portland it is hard to beat Powell's World of Books which covers a city block. The TriMet red line light rail is right outside baggage claim at PDX so a taxi or rental car may not be needed.
Old Jul 29th, 2023, 02:22 PM

Bridge of the Gods @ Casade Locks. This famous toll bridge crosses the highly scenic Columbia River Gorge linking Oregon with Washington. Built in 1926, the bridge is a part of the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail and is named from a Native American legend.

Cape Perpetua Scenic Area @ Yachats. This is the most popular tourist destination in Oregon. Towering 800 feet over the Pacific Ocean, the Cape Perpetua headland is the highest viewpoint accessible by car on the Oregon Coast. A great overlook with wonderful views of the Pacific. Over 2,700 acres of unique coastal habitat and 26 miles of trails through the lush temperate rainforest.

Newport. Visit the Oregon Coast Aquarium and one of the two historic lighthouses. The Historical Bayfront district features chowder houses, art galleries, unique shops and restaurants where you can eat fresh fish. Historic Nye Beach has colorful cottages and laid-back atmosphere.

Three Sisters Wilderness. About 90 miles east of Eugene lies the Thee Sisters Wilderness which contains three mountains (the Sisters) which are all over 10,000 feet. You can hike the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail to the mountains.

Old Jul 30th, 2023, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
My usual recommendation is for something like a "figure 8" plan (map - https://goo.gl/maps/1hp14UQSN4uuEh4HA ) which includes both the coast around the mouth of the Columbia River, and the Mount Hood/Columbia River Gorge area east and southeast of Portland.

However, a caveat: even in late September it can still be (indeed, often is) fire season in the Cascdes and especially the eastern approaches to the mountains. There's no way of knowing at this stage, but it would be wise to monitor conditions in the region and to be prepared to alter your plans if fire or smoke conditions become an issue. Some years ago a disastrous fire swept through parts of the Columbia Gorge; things are just now recovering in places.

That said, I'd google the places on the map. The Hood River Valley can be awesome in the early autumn as all the orchards and vineyards move into harvest mode. If the rains have started, the waterfalls in the Gorge can be terrific, and early autumn color in the Mount Hood high country, as well as in places like spectacular Smith Rock State Park, near Bend. Google "Hood River Fruit Loop." as an example of things to see and do.

You might want to consider bases outside of Portland for a couple of nights each - Astoria or Cannon Beach (or Ilwaco, WA) on the coast, Hood River in the Gorge - in order to make touring more comfortable and less trafficky.

Happy planning, it's a terrific region!
Gardyloo thank you for the recommendation and map! And I had not considered fire season, so I appreciate the heads up.
Old Aug 8th, 2023, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

sunbum1944 thank you for the suggestions! Based on the feedback I've received from you and the others on this thread I am thinking I need to think beyond day trips for some of the locations as they all sound great and I want to give myself enough time to enjoy them.
Old Aug 8th, 2023, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

PrairieHikerI thank you for the recs! I am unfamiliar with "Cape Perpetua" so I'll look into it for sure.
Old Aug 8th, 2023, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tomfuller
With 10 full days in Oregon, I would plan on no more than 3 in the city. With the caveat of wildfire smoke causing unhealthy air, plan on 3-5 days on the coast anywhere from Seaside south as far as Newport and the Oregon Coast Aquarium. If Crater Lake is not smoky at the time, leave the coast on Rt. 38 from Reedsport. About 5-6 miles east of Reedsport, you can see Roosevelt elk from a viewing area. Continue east on 38 to the east end of Elkton to Rt.138 to get to I-5. Take 5 south to Roseburg to get on the east section of Rt. 138 to get to the north entrance of Crater Lake NP. If you can't get lodging at the Crater Lake lodge, you have a good option at Diamond Lake. For sure get to see Crater Lake even if it is marred by smoke. The north entrance of Crater Lake NP is 90 miles from Bend. Among the great things to see in the Bend area are the High Desert Museum and the Lavalands Visitor Center.
Leaving Bend, head north on US 97 to Madras where you get on US 26. At Government Camp turn north on Rt. 35 to come down to Hood River. Spend at least 1 night in Hood River before heading back to PDX. There are some great waterfalls on the old US 30 if you want to detour off I-84. If you don't want to get off I-84, you can take a left exit to a parking lot where you can see Multnomah Falls. Multnomah Falls is the highest waterfall in Oregon.
On a rainy day in Portland it is hard to beat Powell's World of Books which covers a city block. The TriMet red line light rail is right outside baggage claim at PDX so a taxi or rental car may not be needed.
tomfuller thank you for the recommendations! And definitely appreciate the driving tips!