Oregon driving route with fires

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2020, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Morning, We are currently in the redwoods area in Klamath CA and headed to Crater Lake Monday morning. We planned on traveling Hwy 199 but heard some of it was closed, not sure if that is still current as of today. We are from the east coast so not familiar with all ways to get there with the fires. Need your help in this area or who would we call for updated info. Thank you.
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by hbo6
Good Morning, We are currently in the redwoods area in Klamath CA and headed to Crater Lake Monday morning. We planned on traveling Hwy 199 but heard some of it was closed, not sure if that is still current as of today. We are from the east coast so not familiar with all ways to get there with the fires. Need your help in this area or who would we call for updated info. Thank you.
ALWAYS check NP sites for warnings. And the answer is currently DO NOT GO. Situation in Oregon isn’t good in terms of air quality, and Crater Lake is under a level 1 evacuation notice.

https://www.nps.gov/crla/index.htm

there’s currently only one way in and out, but that is the least of your problems. Where do you fly out of?

fire season is always in flux—check on Monday. But seriously, look at the Oregonian, check air reports—I can’t believe you’re even thinking of driving into Oregon.

Old Sep 12th, 2020, 08:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The first thing you need to do is follow conditions in/around Crater Lake. The park and immediate area were on evacuation alert on Thursday. Some roads in/around the park are closed. Visibility is impaired by smoke. Conditions and fire danger are constantly changing.

https://www.nps.gov/crla/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

Hwy. 199 is currently closed around Gasquet, about 40 miles north of Klamath. You'll have to keep checking road conditions at:

https://roads.dot.ca.gov/

If 199 remains closed, you'd have to drive north up the coast to Brandon, then east to Crater Lake. But you need to be checking road conditions in Oregon too.

https://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/Road...ns&curRegion=0

All in all, this is not the right time to be visiting Crater Lake.
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 08:31 AM

Bloody moderation.

OP, look at Crater lake website. Look at air quality reports across Oregon. Read local news. All of that is pointing to “don’t go.” Park is currently under level 1 evacuation notice, btw.

as for your actual question, there is currently only one route into and out of park currently.
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for info. We have reservations at Crater Lake Lodge Mon/Tues nights then Timberline Lodge Wed night then heading to Portland via Columbia River Gorge to fly out Friday. I will chk with websites you all sent. If any updated info please send.
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 08:54 AM

Hard to imagine that you are on a road trip heading to Oregon. Now is not the time to be sightseeing. You need to either go back home or head to an area that is NOT ON FIRE.
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 09:45 AM

No, no, no. Head straight to Portland, though SF is a slightly better bet. Find a hotel and hunker down until air quality improves. I don’t know what there is currently to do, due to Covid, but boredom is the least of your worries. You can always do day trips next week if air quality improves, but your plan right now is a big fat NO.
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 10:14 AM

Portland currently has the worst air quality in the WORLD. People are evacuating and will need hotel rooms. Please don't head toward the fires.
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 11:47 AM

We were supposed to begin a national park loop, that included Sequoia, Redwoods and Crater Lake, next week. After some debate, we cancelled a few days ago, and the situation seems to have gotten much worse since then and the forecast calls for low humidity and gusty winds. I agree with the others about cancelling. I hope the Crater Lake Lodge makes an exception to their cancellation policy since they are under a Level 1 Evacuation notice. If not, I'd try to take it up with your credit card company. I think right now you need to find someplace safe to stay.
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 11:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Ditto everyone else . . . No, no, no. You need to cancel and go somewhere else entirely. Anywhere in most parts of Oregon (and northern CA for that matter) needs to be avoided. And DEFINITELY forget about Crater Lake.
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 11:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would change plans, cancel reservations, and fly home from where you are now. No way would I go up to Oregon right now on a pleasure trip!! As stated above, Portland is leading the world for cities with the worst air quality, with numbers like 390 - 410!

That is the updated information.

Old Sep 12th, 2020, 12:44 PM

I’m only suggesting Portland because I’m assuming they can’t change their flights in an affordable way. I would not be willing to do so.

but if that is an option, yes, do so, and head elsewhere.
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by marvelousmouse
I’m only suggesting Portland because I’m assuming they can’t change their flights in an affordable way. I would not be willing to do so.

but if that is an option, yes, do so, and head elsewhere.
Because of Covid, just about every airline currently has very liberal change policies. If the OP is in Klamath CA -- I'd try to change my flights and head south to fly out of SMF/SFO/OAK/etc -- and go straight to that airport.
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 01:14 PM

The policies might be liberal, but in most cases, they would have to pay fare difference, wouldn’t they? That’s the part that would be crazy expensive.
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 02:00 PM

"That’s the part that would be crazy expensive."

Maybe/maybe not. Absolutely no way of telling until they check specific flights. Could even be cheaper . . .
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 02:20 PM

10% of the population of Oregon has been evacuated to "somewhere". It is not the time to be going to Oregon.
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 04:04 PM

Another big NO here! Do not even think about going into OR. Timberline is closed right now as is Mt Hood. Most of the gorge is closed right now too, as is most everything else.

10% of Oregonians have evacuated already.

Right now Eugene has surpassed Portland for the worst air quality, this morning coming in at 530.

Just please, turn around and do what you can to leave the area now and get back home without being on the roads. The roads need to be open for evacuees and first responders.

All of my family is in OR and two family cabins have been lost already. Numerous friends and family have evacuated. A friend of our daughters made it out in mere minutes. Her neighbors were not as fortunate. This is a horrific time in OR, and not a time for any vacation of any sort.
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 04:07 PM

I just looked, an area of Eugene is now up to 559, up from 530 this morning. All along I-5 is a nightmare. Take a look at www.purpleair.com to give you an idea.
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 04:20 PM

Obviously you have no experience with wildfires or understand how quickly conditions can change. Stop wherever you are, head for the nearest airport, and go home! People are fleeing the fires. It is dangerous and foolhardy to go TO the fires. You will only be one more headache the firefighters and police have to deal with.
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 04:40 PM

Google Maps actually show road closures when you ask for directions. If you zoom in, it also shows areas affected by fire and then click on the fire name it will show the fire boundary. There are fires around Medford (Jackson County fires) that would be problematic for going to Crater Lake. There are also fires east of Klamath in the Pacific Coast Ranges in the "Red Salmon, Slater and Devil's Fire".

I agree that I'd get the heck out of there, heading south along the coast via Hwy 101 toward Eureka, depending on where you can return the car and fly home.

If flying home from Portland is the only option then use Hwy 101 north and look for a hotel on the coast.

Last edited by mlgb; Sep 12th, 2020 at 04:45 PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -