Search

Oregon Coast

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oregon Coast

My husband and I have 2 nights to spend on the Oregon coast. We will be spending 2 nights in Hood River and will then travel to Astoria to begin our trip down Hwy 101. Initially, I was planning on staying in Astoria for a night after a leisurely drive from Hood River. After researching this more thoroughly, I am now debating on driving through Astoria and on to the coast for the first night. We would like to find a small coastal town to stay the night on the beach and avoid a crowded hotel, condo, scene like we have on some of our beaches in Alabama. We are looking for a place south of Astoria for the first night and then a place near Newport for the second night. We do not mind being on the outskirts of town, but want to be a close driving distance to a good restaurant for some great seafood. it will be the weekend of the full moon, so I am trying to take advantage of the scene. Should we stay the first night in Astoria or a coastal town? And where to stay near Newport for the full moon? Any advice will be much appreciated!
Old Sep 13th, 2015, 06:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
You don't even have to drive through Astoria if you don't want to. Take US 26 out of Portland and go north to Seaside or south to Cannon Beach or Arch Cape. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g...Vacations.html
Full moon is Sept 28. The tides will be high. Manzanita would be another option.
Be sure to stop at the Tillamook cheese factory for a self guided tour and samples. Their ice cream is great too.
US 30 from NW Portland to Astoria is one of my least favorite highways in Oregon.
Old Sep 13th, 2015, 07:58 PM

Local Ocean Seafood, Newport OR

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/O...ocean-seafoods
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 05:25 AM

I agree with tomfuller about US 30.

There is no "leisurely" drive between Hood River and the coast.

If you are driving south, it is much better to start in Cannon Beach. If you are flying out of Portland, it would be better to drive to Newport and then up the coast rather than down.

Highway 101 from the sea lion caves, south of Cape Perpetua, to Lincoln City is especially scenic.

You probably don't want to stay in Lincoln City, but I don't believe there is any town on the Oregon coast that is similar to the Alabama towns you don't like.

HTtY
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I thought that the route to Astoria was part of the Scenic Hood River Byway. Now I am rethinking our drive. Your recommendation to go directly to Newport is sounding like a good idea. We may even base ourselves there for 2 nights and tour a little north and a little south before heading back for our red eye flight out of Portland.
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 04:30 PM

The area around Cape Perpetua is particularly spectacular and Ecola State Park, just north of Cannon Beach, is another very favorite destination for us.

HTtY
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 04:49 PM

A little south of Newport is the small town of Yachats. Just north of town there are 3 motels in a row, the Adobe, The Fireside and The Overleaf- all on the water. The Overleaf is the most expensive, the Adobe has a restaurant. You can walk between the 3 of them.

But Newport is a nice place to stay too. I would stay close to the Nye Beach area.
The Yaquina Head Lighthouse is an interesting place to explore. Nice visitors center- some trails- one requires navigating 100 and some stairs down to the beach.

Agree with above post recomming Local Ocean restaurant. Never miss a chance to dine there.

Enjoy.