Reload this Page >

Orange County and San Diego

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2001, 11:54 AM
Kris

Will be visiting Orange County (Disney) and driving south to San Diego in June '02. What is the best hotel at Disneyland, on site, for boys ages 7&8? Is Knotts Berry Farm or Universal worth the side trip? Which is better Hotel del Coronado or Paradise Point (our boys LOVE the beach!)? Is Legoland or Wild Animal Park or SD Zoo worth the trip in June?

Old Dec 23rd, 2001, 09:33 PM
Tess

All the hotels around Disneyland are comparable- no one would be better than the other in my opinion. If you are doing Disney- Knotts isn't worth the extra time. Universal is cool if you are into the movies- otherwise skip it. Hotel Del is VERY nice- stay there. Legoland is over rated- too new to be cool at this point. SD Zoo is a must see. Wild Animal park is fun too- but he zoo gets my vote.

Be sure to take your boys to ride the roller coaster at Belmont Park in Mission Beach. Also- spend some time exploring Balboa Park- where the Zoo is- beautiful.

Old Dec 24th, 2001, 05:30 AM
paul

The Hotel Del is located directly on one of the best beaches in San Diego. It's actually on Coronado Island. Very nice hotel and great surroundings. However, Paradise Point is a very nice family resort that kids may really enjoy. It is NOT on the (ocean) beach. There is a beach but it is on the bay. You will have a short drive to Mission Beach which is mentioned in the post above. Legoland, WAP and the Zoo are definitely worth the trip.

Old Dec 24th, 2001, 05:39 AM
Jerry

As regards the Hotel Del, do realize that what you're paying for is history and location.
The hotel itself is not al that nice, and it is no longer even included in Conde Nast Traveler's Gold List. (It now makes the 'also ran' list at the end, with a room rating of 58 on a scale of 1-100, 69 service, 64 food) BTW, the Loews and Marriott on Coronado Island are both more highly rated these days.

Old Dec 24th, 2001, 08:53 AM
j

Hi Kris, There is a combo ticket that will include Wild Animal Park, Zoo and Seaworld. Wild Animal Park is different in the fact the animals roam wild and mixed on acres of land, there is a train around the park. It gives one a sense of how animals might be in the wild. I agree Knotts is really not worth the effort,and overpriced. Also California Adventure is comprised of a few thrill rides and some great California exhibits,but nowhere like Disneyland. I live in Ca. and have visited Zoo, animal Park, Disney ,Knotts all the past few weeks.
You might check the Horton Grand Hotel in San Diego, right in the Gaslamp District , also there are numerous Museums in Balboa Park. I would stick with the larger chain hotels on site at Disneyland. Joyce

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 07:36 PM
David N Cook

For D-Land, check out the Disneyland Pacific Hotel, adjacent to the D-Land hotel itself but a bit less pricey. Still access the park by monorail and great restaurant with shows.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 08:31 AM
Susan

I think Legoland is a must-see for boys that age. My two kids of similar age absolutely loved Legoland and it was much less crowded than Disneyland. They still talk about how they got to really drive a car there ;-).

I just heard a report from a friend that the Disneyland Hotel is not looking so good, perhaps upkeep has been delayed while all the new stuff around it has been built. The Grand Californian is supposedly fabulous but also the priciest option.

Avoid the Paradise Point. It is extremely over-priced and run down. A better option would be the Catamaran which is also on the bay or the Hotel Del which is on the ocean.

One more suggestion, we celebrated my daughter's 7th birthday at one of the Mexican restaurants in Old Town San Diego and she will probably remember it the rest of her life. Mariachis came to the table and sang her Happy Birthday, we felt like we were transported to old world Mexico. I don't remember the name of this particular restaurant but there are a few around there that look great. Also be sure to have fish tacos at any Rubio's.

Have a wonderful time!

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 08:42 AM
xxx

The Grand Lodge at California Adventure is wonderful, but costly. The Disneyland Hotel is aging. Paradise Pier is also a new hotel that has recently been built at the park. You might want to look at rates there. Staying at the park definitely adds to the convenience.

Knotts Berry Park isn't a favorite of mine. But two young boys might enjoy their water park that opened a few years ago. Universal takes some time to get to from the Anaheim area.

The boys might be at an age where they're outgrowing Legoland, but I'd look into the dual pass to the Zoo and Wild Animal Park. You can always go check out these facilities at night after a day at the beach.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 10:03 AM
xxx

any hotel in disneyland i've stayed at is fine - there are several best western around and they all have shuttles to the park. you are never in your room so i'd just make sure they have an outdoor pool & hot tub (which almost all do).
hotel del is a nice hotel and worth a visit to to waunder through the hotel and maybe spend a few hours on their beach. but, it wouldn't be on the top of my list with children. it's classy and more for adults. the restaurants on coronado are upper scale so you're kids would have to be on their best behaviour (what fun is that!!!).
paradise point is a good place with nice pools. however, while there is a beach on the bay, i wouldn't recommend going in the water.
the catamaran in pacific beach is nice - on the bay but only a block from the beach. much more active area then coronado with more restaurants suitable for kids. another one you could check out is the best western blue sea lodge on pacific beach. there are also some cabins on crystal pier at pacific beach which might be fun to stay at (they are right on the pier).
if you've never seen a show like sea world, i'd recommend that for boys that age (and for adults). it's expensive but worth the money for first timers and as mentioned, they do sell packages for the various theme parks around san diego.
the belmont park roller coaster is fun but it is quite wicked on your back.
one of the biggest mistakes my visitors have made is planning out too many days. remember that the boys will probably have just as much fun on the beach for free as they would at the zoo. the zoo is VERY cool but it's a long day for kids due to it's size. going to the wild animal park would let you see some of the area outside of san diego (it's about a 30 minute drive). you can walk some but there is a monorail which takes you around (sit on the right side). it takes less time then the zoo so if you were there when it opened, you could have the later afternoon for the beach.
also, just a work of warning, june is sometimes a dreary month in san diego - known as "june gloom".