Opryland Hotel

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 08:11 AM
Mary Ann

Opryland Hotel

Three couples staying at Opryland Hotel for a weekend in February. Any comments on Opryland Hotel including restaurants and shops in hotel. Are prices reasonable? Will we need to go off site to get good food? What is within walking distance of Opryland Hotel?

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 10:32 AM
Lori

I have not stayed there, but my sister just returned from a business trip where she stayed at this hotel. She was very disappointed to say the least. She felt that the hotel was a little run down, the service was subpar, and the restaurants were barely edible. She and her party went off site to a great restaurant recommended by the concierge, unfortunately I do not know the name. good luck

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 01:22 PM
julie

hi mary ann -

it has been about 10 years since i've stayed at the opryland hotel so unfortunately i don't have many specifics for you in terms of what is within the hotel. however, i just recently moved to the area and what i can tell you is that there isn't much within walking distance outside of the opryland complex. one great option for you is to take the river taxis...they are relatively cheap and take you directly into downtown nashville. you'll get there about as fast as you would by car and you can sit back and relax and have a drink if you want. coming in february, you are just missing the best thing about the opryland hotel (which is how they go all out for christmas, putting up more lights and decor than you can imagine) and the opening of the new mall (which is replacing the old opryland theme park and will supposedly have high end stores)...they have a website: www.oprylandhotels.com which can give you more info although it isn't terribly detailed. hope this helps!

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 06:58 PM
C.Clark

Hi Mary Ann,I think that Lori has this hotel confused with some other hotel.
This hotel is beautiful and there are I think at least five restuarant's to chose from. I would rent a car though, so many places to see. Have Fun!!!

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 03:43 AM
Donna F

We stayed at the Opryland Hotel several years ago while we were attending a convention. We felt it was overpriced, even at convention rates. We did not enjoy eating there. For example, in the least expensive restaurant, the fruit salad on the salad bar was fruit cocktail out of a can. We ended up driving across the road to Bob Evans etc if we were short on time. Inside the rooms they are typical dull hotel rooms unless you get a room with a balconey overlooking the public areas, which indeed are beautiful. I was disappointed to hear the theme park was gone since we enjoyed a day of rides and country music shows. Who wants to go shopping mall on a get away weekend? Our experience was mediocre at the hotel, but our room got clean everyday. I know 2 people attending the same convention who had charges put on their charge cards MONTHS after they were there. There really isn't anything within walking distance...keep in mind the parking lot is huge. Our room was in a good location...keep in mind that it could take you 20 minutes and a LONG walk to get from your room to one of the restaurants if it's a busy weekend and you're on an upper floor/distant wing. The place is a maze.

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 01:15 PM
Melinda

We were there for a convention several years ago and the food was awful. I had french toast that was hard as a rock and doubt it had soaked in anything prior. After a terrible dinner, I decided to order pizza in the room. I am not a picky pizza person but this was the worst...just like dry cardboard. The place was pretty but it wasn't anywhere I would ever want to return to. Nashville was fun however.

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 01:23 PM
Codi

i have had to stay at the Opryland for several conventions, the last of which was last year. The hotel itself is HUGE to say the very least. I think the shops are very interesting but, the food is overpriced and not very good. If you like steak the Stockyard is an interesting rest. with alot of history. It is "pricey" but, I felt worth it. Be careful with phone charges in the room at the Opryland. I believe it was $1.00 per outside call be it calling card or not! I wrote the hotel after receiving our bill at the desk. They refunded my money ($12.00) because I reminded them this was not posted on the telephone. You will enjoy yourself. It is truly an experience.

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 02:38 PM
Brooke

I have stayed at the Opryland hotel and would definately go back, it was beautiful. I just loved the interior of the hotel and they had a lot of nice trails and things to do outside.
It is true that the dining was nothing special, but it was okay. The service at the restaurants was poor especially when the conferences let out if it was a big one. There are plenty of nice restaurants in the area, check with the concierge. If you are looking for something cheap there was a Shoney's or Bob Evans right across from the entrance to the Opryland Hotel. There was also an outlet shopping center across the street.

Old Oct 23rd, 1999, 06:52 PM
Patrick Ashton

Stayed at the opryland hotel for two nights which was about three nights too many. Yes the hotel is fancy in a mallish sort of way, but the food in every restaurant was mediocre at best, and I tried five times in three different bars to get a drink --dry robroy straight up, and couldn't recognize what any of them were supposed to be. Seems they have some system them prevents their staff from robbing them. All liquor is piped via plastic hoses from some distant point and pumped into glasses. I don't know what was in my glass, but it was no combination of Scotch and dry vermouth that I could possibly imagine.