Opinions on Ramada Plaza New Yorker

Old May 29th, 2002, 06:01 AM
brian

Opinions on Ramada Plaza New Yorker

I got stiffed on my last request for opinions on this hotel (no responses) so I will try again. Maybe it was bad timing , but please pass along any opinions on this property. Family of four kids 16 and 14. Will we like the property and what do you think of the location? We are in NY 4 days and dont have any set plans we are just going to wing it. Any recommendations for cheap eats near hotel would be appreciated also. Thanks in advance. Also, where is the nearest fire house? I am a firefighter myself and would like to cook a meal for one of the crews to show my appreciation. The hotel is at 34th and 8th.

Old May 29th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Anthony

I haven't stayed there, so I can't comment, but the area is OK but not the best; convinent to Madison Square Garden & Macys.
Did you get a good deal on the rate? Have you considered using Priceline.com and bidding for a hotel? People have been getting great rate using Priceline.
You can checkout www.biddingfortravel.com
for hints on bidding on Priceline, and to see what hotels people have gotten at what price.

Old May 29th, 2002, 08:12 AM
forYou

just topped a thread on this hotel for you. Priceline could be risky in NYC for a hotel to accommodate 4 (they can only guarantee room for 2 and NYC has many small rooms).

Old May 29th, 2002, 08:16 AM
aMom

That area is convenient to mass transit and some sights but the area is very unattractive. Could be either desolate or mobbed in the evening (depending on what's going on at MSG).

Old May 29th, 2002, 09:12 AM
nyer

Nearest fire station that I can think of is on 32nd Street between 7th and 6th avenues. It is right across the street from the order where the late Fire Department chaplain Father Mychal Judge was based and he often spent time at this station.

Old May 29th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Statia

Brian:

I can't comment on this particular hotel, but I have another couple of recommendations in the same area since I always stay near Macy's and MSG for business.

Hotel Stanford (32nd off Broadway) is nice and in a pretty busy area. I recently paid $140 per night (after taxes it was $150) for a double with two double beds. They also have a jr. suite, which I'm getting in June for the same price. The nice thing here is that they have a Korean restaurant, as well as a coffee bar/pastry shop open 24/7.

I also hear pretty good things about the Red Roof Inn on the same street at the other end of the block (off Fifth Avenue). Their rates are around $100 per night and they are only a couple of years old.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with, as well as how it works out.

Old May 29th, 2002, 09:31 AM
rqf

8th Avenue is a little seedy but safe from 35th to 42nd St. The Port Authority bus terminal is on 8th Ave betweeen 40th and 42nd and bus terminals in whatever city do attract some less desirable types. If you want to avoid walking on 8th when walking to Times Square walk east one block on 34th to 7th Avenue and then go north (left) to Times Square to avoid the seedy area

Old May 29th, 2002, 09:33 AM
ss

There is a fire house on 8th Avenue around 49th STreet.

Old May 29th, 2002, 10:39 AM
brian

thank you all for your responses. It is much appeciated. I got the hotel for $109/night which is the best rate I have seen without staying a hostel or ymca! I have toyed with the idea of living dangerously, it's in my blood, and doing the priceline thing, Please, your thoughts on that and how much to bid for a 4 star in midtown. Thanks again.

Old May 29th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Carl

Check out biddingfortravel.com for advice on how much to bid on priceline.

Old May 29th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Statia

Brian:

Be sure to inquire with the hotel as to the final rate with taxes. Hotel taxes tend to be a bit higher in NYC than other areas, and the final bill can end in sticker shock.

Since you're going with a family, you should give Carmine's a try for dinner one night. They have southern Italian food served family style in large portions meant for sharing. The food is great and the teens will probably enjoy the atmosphere. Carmine's is on 44th off Broadway.

Have fun!

Old May 29th, 2002, 01:12 PM
ttt

ttt

Old May 29th, 2002, 07:47 PM
brian

statia, thnk you, brian

Old May 29th, 2002, 07:51 PM
brian

Carl, even though i am a college graduate, I am totally baffled by biddingfortravel.com and how much to bid. i am ashamed to say it has kicked my ass, and it is big one! HELP!

Old May 30th, 2002, 12:27 AM
KenCT

Priceline and the usergroup BiddingForTravel sure can be intimidating. A few weeks ago, someone posted a message offering to send a powerpoint presentation he had developed for co-workers to people who mailed him directly. I have no idea how to locate that message, but I'm sure it's in here somewhere.

I made the request, he emailed it, and the next day I got a double room for $65 in Manhattan, less than half of what I usually pay .

You succeed with Priceline the same way you get to Carnegie Hall....Practice. Read the FAQ's on BiddingForTravel, then read them again. Go to the Message Board to determine what bids were successful. Then make a series of $1.00 bids using various strategies.

Thanks to that guy who posted here, and many others here who recommended Priceline, I overcame my Priceline phobia, saved at about $100 on my first try, and plan to use it whenever I can.

BUT, as was posted here earlier, in Manhattan you bid for ONE bed. Sometimes you can change that at check in, sometimes you can't. If you MUST have two beds in a room, BiddingForTravel recommends not using Priceline.

Old May 30th, 2002, 04:53 AM
brian

KentCT, thanks, Brian