Reload this Page >

Opinions on Point and Eureka, CA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 08:04 AM
Tre

I'm driving up the CA coast later this year and was contemplating staying at both of these two towns, however, have gotten bad reviews on both of them. I know Arena is small, however, I'm just wanting to stay for a night and have dinner...ditto for Eureka. Does anyone have any thoughts or encouragement for me. Also, restaurant recommendations would be appreciated...and they don't necessarily need to be in either of the above cited towns. I've heard Gualala is a nice place to eat-it is expensive to stay in though from what I see.

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 10:08 AM
kam

I think I would choose Point Arena over Eureka. Other nice towns are Gualala and Elk. There's a lot of info on this forum if you do a search.

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 11:31 AM
Tre

Thanks Kam...my issues is that I'm planning on staying at both places while working my way up the coast. I spoke w/ a rep. from Gualala that was pushing for a stay there, however, it is quite expensive for my needs. This was also the person that indicated that Point Arena is not a very nice place to stay. Do you agree?

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 03:06 PM
Kathy

Tre, The only lodgings I've noticed in Pt. Arena are out by the pier--the Coast Guard House and the Wharf Master's Inn (one old, one new so it depends on what you want). There is a great place to eat called Pangaea on Main St. that isn't too pricey. Pt. Arena really isn't all that attractive....nor, for that matter, is Eureka! Have you heard of the Victorian Gardens just outside Manchester? It's just minutes north of Pt. Arena and is a lovely old Victorian that has sweeping, though distant, coastal views. According to my guidebook, their prices are moderate to expensive......whatever that means. Anyway, the number is 707-882-3606. Have heard lots of great things about it, and the host evidently does a SUPERB dinner for those who book it in advance. It's nice--in my opinion--in that it is out in the (very picturesque) countryside as opposed to in the midst of a rather dreary village (Pt. Arena) or city (Eureka). Again, just my opinion! Gualala is much nicer than Pt. Arena or Eureka, but, as you point out it is more expensive.

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 03:42 PM
cp

I have stayed in Eureka, and it isn't terrible. However, if you plan to be that far north I would suggest that you take a look towards staying in Arcata or Ferndale.

Arcata is a college town where Cal State Humboldt is located. There are a lot of Victorians up there, and there are things to do and look at. There is a microbrewery with it's own pub, and the beer they make is quite good. You can also get "pub grub" there. One thing about Arcata is that it doesn't stink the way that Eureka can, due to the big paper mill there.

Ferndale is tiny, but the Victorians are very nice. There is a diner there that makes an excellent biscuits and gravy breakfast. This town is what I think of for old time Americana.

Trinidad, north of Arcata is also nice, though perhaps a bit spendy. It's a fishing village with a somewhat developed tourism industry. The houses there will remind you a bit of New England.

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 12:42 AM
Cal

I would strongly recommend staying in Arcata rather than Eureka. Arcata is a very short distance north of Eureka.

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 08:10 AM
Samantha

Hi Tre - I lived in the Eureka/Arcata area for several years. They're your typical small towns, without too much to do, so maybe that's why you've been given bad reviews of them. Since you're staying just one night, I think you can deal with it, no matter what you were told. ;-) The only major disadvantage to Eureka is the paper mill, which does give off a terrible odor most of the time and the hotels (the standard ones) are in that area of town. Personally, I wouuld suggest staying in Arcata, one town (and about 5-10 minutes drive) north of Eureka. At the Guintoli St. exit there are several motels (again, the standard ones). As far as restaurants, Eureka offers more. Do you have a preference for a certain kind of food? Post back here and I can give you my personal favorites as far as Chinese (Arcata), Italian or seafood (Eureka) goes. In Eureka there is a family type restaurant called Marie Callendars, as well as all the fast food places (same with Arcata). In Samoa (close to Eureka) there is a place called the Cookhouse - hearty food served in an open, log tables/benches style (never went there - some people love it). One more bit of advice, since you stated you'll be in that area later this year - be prepared for rain. The north coast gets 75% of its annual rainfall between October and April!

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 01:35 PM
kam

Arcata has all the chains--Best Western, Super 8, Comfort Inn, Quality Inn etc. Think it will be just right for you.

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 10:03 AM
Tre

Hey, thanx everyone! Also, Samantha...re: restaurants, I like whatever is typically local or authentic. I generally refuse to eat at a chain when traveling unless there is absolutely no other option. I like any authentic ethnic cuisine, although I'm not big on seafood. Any ideas? Thanks again for the valuable feedback everyone.

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 11:35 AM
Samantha

Hi Tre - You're taking me down memory lane and making me hungry for the yummy food at my favorite Eureka and Arcata restaurants! ;-) Here are the ones my husband and I went to (our favorite pasttime!):

In Eureka:

Tomasos (Italian)

If you're a beer lover, there's a restaurant/pub sort of place (name escapes me right now), that's on 4th Street, which is the main drag heading south through town). Famous for its microbrews

In Arcata:

Hunan Plaza (Chinese) - There are 2 "Hunans," so if you go there, make sure it's the one on the square (8th St.) and not the other one

Fiesta Cafe (Mexican - the chicken quesadillas are out of this world!)

Celestinos (THE best pizza)

Also, for your added information, Arcata has a website:

http://www.arcatacalifornia.com

It can give you the addresses and do the "map it" thing to find the places, which really are easy to find, since the towns are so small. ;-) If you decide to eat at Tomasos or want to check out other Eureka restaurants, just click on "yellow pages" from the Arcata site and wind your way through that. For some reason, I can't find a site on Eureka. Anyway, I hope this was a bit of help to you. Post back here with any other questions you might have. I would be glad to answer them if I can.

P.S. If you have the time/inclination, there's a ice cream shop in Arcata, on the square, called Bon Bonaire. Delicious!

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 12:04 PM
Tre

Thanks soooo much, Samantha. I've changed my reservations to Arcata from Eureka-although if I have time I may pop into Eureka for a bite or a sip of something on the way by. I appreciate your help mucho!