Reload this Page >

Only 3 days- Kauai or BI?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 04:10 AM
Kristin

I wish I wasn't rushing through the islands, but we only have a week and are flying into Honolulu (late- there's one night) and departing from Maui. (will spend last 2-3 nights there) I'm torn between going to Kauai and the BI in between. Kauai sounds gorgeous, but I've never seen an active volcano (BI). Which would be a better choice for a family with kids? (P.S. I'm not a "troll", just looking for honest opinions here!) Thanks!

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 07:34 AM
jerry

Sounds like you want to be active and see lots, so I vote BI.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 09:36 AM
crys

Both are terrific, so it's hard to make a wrong choice here. My personal favorite is Kuaui, but with children I'd probably go to the BI. Seeing a live volcano is an experience not to be missed, and things like tend tend to fascinate children much more than sheer beauty.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Kristin

Thanks! I think I was really leaning that way, with the kids and all. Hopefully someday my hubby and I will be able to go to Kauai alone! ))

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 07:51 PM
Mary

I'd stay on Maui, especially if you're traveling with kids. The Big Island is huge and getting to see any lava is hit and miss plus a lot of car time. Everytime you hop on an interisland flight takes away from vacation time. You can barely experience an island in 2-3 days. There is a lot to see on Maui. If you want to see a volcanic crater, head up to Haleakula on Maui. It's pretty spectacular even if it is not active. Give your kids a break and stay on one island. Have been to all of them and each has it's merits however 2-3 days won't allow you to even begin to get the feel for an island.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 03:08 AM
Maureen

We took our kids (9&2)last year and did Maui and the Big Island.

Depending on the age of your kids Kauai can be fun (canoeing, biking, horseback riding) and it is beautiful, but seeing an active volcano is in a class by itself. I would definitely choose BI and save Kauai for next time.

Go to the end of the road in Volcano park right at dusk - once it gets dark out you can see the lava flowing that you couldn't see during the day - Spectacular!

Oh, I'd spend more of the week in Maui, too! We did 4 nights on each and wished we'd done 5 on Maui (or even 6)

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 09:19 AM
tk

Slow Down!!!!! Why rush to another island when you haven't even given the first one a chance. If your opening line is "I wish I wasn't rushing thru the islands" than don't! You really won't capture any of the islands that way. Listen to your opening line, relax and enjoy the island. Next time choose another one. You can't cram a lifetime into one day.