Reload this Page >

One week in Hawaii...

Search

One week in Hawaii...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 02:44 PM
Jen

One week in Hawaii...

Should we stick to just one island or go for two? It sounds like there's so much to see! I feel like we're missing out if we don't hop around, but don't want to the sacrifice the relaxation piece either. Any opinions? We're leaning toward Kauai next October, mainly because I've heard Mauai is very crowded and commercialized.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 03:19 PM
norma

It depends on what you're looking for. Kauai is definately the most lush and beautiful. There isn't all that much to do but if you want a peaceful getaway that's the place. Also if you have enough time you may want to consider the Big Island as it looks so different with the lava formations in consideration to the other islands. I agree Maui is very comercialized and does not have as much of a true Hawaiian feel but from the Kapalua coast you have breathtaking views of Molokai and Kauai. Tough choices but I agree with your idea of Kauai first. Best wishes.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 03:43 PM
Susan

I agree it depends what you are looking for ... if you had 10 days I'd definitely say split it up. If you want to relax and are leaning toward Kauai I'd suggest you give yourself a week there and plan on returning to Hawaii again! Or you could give yourself one or two nights on Oahu at the end of the trip since you will probably go through Honolulu airport anyway. Many will say to avoid Oahu but it is the cultural center of Hawaii and there is much to do that doesn't involve the strip on Waikiki. I'd skip Maui because I don't think it's going to offer you what you want that you can't find on Kauai. The other option of course if the big island and that is definitely going to be very different than Kauai. It is hard to choose!

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 03:51 PM
JB

With such a long flight I would stick to one island. My favorite island is Kauai. If you want sun go south to Popui, if you want clouds, rain, and the lushiest vegetation go north to Princeville. We stayed at the Sheraton on Popui which is nice but the Hyatt is the best I feel. Good-Luck and enjoy

JB

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 04:01 PM
Tom

I think that if you haven't, you should make the effort to see the USS Arizona Memorial. That's on Oahu, of course, and you could just go over for a day.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 02:31 PM
Linda

October is a great month to visit Maui. The weather is probably the best all year and the island is not crowded at all during Sept. and Oct. Think about staying in Maui the whole time and leaving early enough the last day of your vacation for a side trip to Pearl Harbor if you depart from Oahu.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 04:49 PM
xxx

less is more in Hawaii all the islands have special and unique gifts trotting around to find the next best beautiful place....STUPID STUPID STUPID. Plant yourself and breath in the natural beauty, enjoy your surroundings. Having said that Kauai is the place to go and plant yourself in Hanalei town walk to the beach. Princeville is nice but most often you have to climb down a steep walk to the beach. You can't just stroll out for a sunset,you can walk along a cliff edge but no beach straight away. October is still nice on the north shore. Had a week on Kauai in August and it was great could have been longer but oh well.........

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 05:06 PM
sss

Pearl Harbor is great but I think you should plan a separate trip to Oahu for this....I have been to Pearl Harbor twice but it does bother me that for so many this will be the begining and ending of a look at Hawaiian History for mainland visitors. I suggest following up this visit with a trip to the Japanesse cultural center, see how martial law impacted Hawaii after the attack. Read about some Japanese were taken to encampments on the mainland. And many 3-5 generation Japanese Hawaiians came under scrutiny as spys when there was not cause. Pick up a book on Hawaiian history, go to Bishop Museum (similar to ellis island exhibit in NY)near Pearl Harbor, Visit the Iolani Palace, the missonary settlement, Byodo Temple on the windward side, TREMENDOUSLY BEAUTIFUL Heiau on the North Shore. This is all stuff that could fit into a separate trip to OAHU and will teach you about the very rich and diverse cultures that live in Hawaii. Don't make Pearl Harbor the only historical site on your trip then you are reinforcing the very mainland oriented history you already have in your head. WHY NOT LEARN SOMETHING NEW.

Greatful for the lives that stood for us on December7 I am just saying don't ignore the rest of Hawaii's history in place of this.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 06:15 PM
mike

Jen,

Just returned from Kauai, Oahu and Lanai. Kauai is our favorite island. Most old Hawaiian of the isles. I recommend staying on the south shore, but don't miss Hanalei. Awesome old town. We just came back from our third trip there and this was the first time that we actually stayed on the north shore. We stayed there for 5 nights then spent the last 2 at The Hyatt (our favorite). Hanalei (north shore) is a great old town.

Maui is also great, not THAT commercial, but I think you can have a great week on Kauai. Do the Napali coast by boat. The Wayamea Canyon, Secret Beach. More to do than most say.
Also some excellent restaurants.

Good luck.

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 12:33 PM
Lilly

Jen
I would definetely recommend Maui. Maui is not crowded and commercialized. Now Oahu (Honolulu) that's VERY crowded and VERY commercialized. Maui is the most beautiful island. I would definetly see/stay in Maui. You won't be sorry!!

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 07:49 AM
Celeste

Anyone who says Oahu is very crowded and commercialized but Maui isn't has obviously spent little time in both places. Once you get out of Waikiki and Honolulu, you can easily be on any other sparsely populated island in the Hawaiian chain. And once you get caught in Maui traffic, you long for the quick, beautiful 4-lane highways of Oahu!

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 06:16 PM
Gail

I agree entirely with Celeste. Oahu is a very beautiful island. It is well worth renting a car and driving around the whole island as well as seeing the central parts of the island. Maui is beautiful, but as someone who has been to all the islands excpet Lanai, I will say that it is much to crowded. We go in the summer, maybe it is better at another time. We don't know that we will return to Maui. Kaui, the Big Island, Oahu, even Molakai have so much to offer. Enjoy your trip. Aloha