One Way vs RT flights

Aug 30th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

One Way vs RT flights

I was pricing one way flights to Europe and noticed that the cost is twice as much as a round trip ticket. Yes, I am coming back, but that will be by boat. Other than purchasing a round trip ticket and disregarding the return flight (which in the fine print says the airline can penalize you for doing)does anyone know how to buy a one way ticket for the cost of the cheaper round trip ticket?
Aug 30th, 2006, 08:25 AM

Have you tried pricing the tickets on European airline websites such as British Airways, Lufthansa, etc.? Perhaps that will have a better deal than the U.S. airlines. I've only done one-way inter-Europe flights, but it may be worth a shot.

Good luck!
Tracy
Aug 30th, 2006, 08:29 AM

This should be posted on the Europe board, but your options include:

- Check with a consolidator or an agent that fare get fares from consolidators. They often have unpublished one-way fare that's not too expensive.

- If you're going on a cruise, have the cruise company book the fare for you. They do this all the time for lots of their clients.

- Consider Maxjet, an all-business class airline from US to London-Stansted that prices their flight per leg.

- Throw away the return. You don't need to worry about the airline penalizing you. If you do it just once, they'll not come after you.
Aug 30th, 2006, 08:32 AM

Hi Katie45,

I've been looking into one-way flights too for our trip to Mongolia. We're coming back but wanted to make a stop in Europe and China so the airfare would not be directly round trip. No matter what site I've visited, it is definitely cheaper round-trip. I'm not sure how to get around this either, but tcreath's suggestion might work. Keep us posted as to what you find out.
Aug 30th, 2006, 08:46 AM

Just get a R/T and throw away the return.

I guarantee it - NOTHING will happen!

Have a great trip!