One night one day in dallas accommodation

Old Jul 24th, 2016, 12:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One night one day in dallas accommodation

Hi all!

Family of four ...all adults ... Need a family room..son and daughter need separate beds but we will have an air mattress just in case

Where should we stay for our last night before flying home to Sydney?
We just want to see the jfk museum, the grassy knoll primarily but I'd love to see the gardens too
Probably won't be possible
We will be arriving from Miami about 930..so that Thursday night is gone
The next morning ( we will have a rental car) we will duck out to see the jfk sites and whatever else we can squeeze in

Our flight to Sydney is At 10:30 so we will have to be at fortworth by 730 but we have a good few hours at least to get a tiny taste

Originally my oh and I were going alone and I'd booked the embassy suites in grapevine upon a fodorites recommendation but back then we were planning three days in dallas

So...
Should I look at booking this grapevine accomodation again? Do a big loop out to dallas and back? Or stay somewhere close to jfk museum and then maybe pop by grapevine on the way home ..say have early dinner there before our flight?

Thanks to all who have already pitched in! We are leaving on the 12 August ...returning 26 August
Cheers and happy travels to all!
Old Jul 24th, 2016, 01:40 AM
Original Poster

Ok...
I've booked the Homewood suites in grapevine...decent reviews ...got a family suite for $ 169 usd
Can always cancel

The embassy suites are all booked out

So ur seems we might have a short drive into grapevine after our flight from Miami ..puck up the rental car

Wait til l traffic dies down in the morning..if there is such a thing and drive the 23 miles to the jfk museum

There's a two hour audio tour then I guess we go round the grassy knoll
And head over back to grapevine for a last minute shop/ look around

Are the shops something worthwhile? Is there an outlet mall? Don't know if we will be upto it... Will see..otherwise just potter around grapevine itself... I read it was a nice town
Old Jul 24th, 2016, 01:42 AM
Original Poster

Any suggestions for parking in dallas to get to the museum? Thnx!
Old Jul 25th, 2016, 04:19 AM

You have plenty of time for the Sixth Floor Museum (JFK) and possibly the Arboreum. Your other post asked about a mall near Grapevine. There's Grapevine Mills, which is huge and busy, very near. Keep your hotel.
Old Jul 25th, 2016, 07:28 AM

>

There's parking all over the place. You'll be hard pressed to NOT find a spot. Houston north of Elm should have plenty of meters and a number of lots. The grassy knoll is a small hill. Don't step out into traffic to take pictures, there are enough daft tourists who step out into the busiest confluence of city streets in downtown Dallas and nearly get hit every day. Buy some knickknack from the fat guy who hawks his Dallas art out by the knoll.

And know that Sonny Bryan's, the only BBQ place in that area, does not count as real BBQ to anyone who actually knows decent food.

You can go to the arboretum from downtown, just realize that getting back to the other side of Dallas will suck because you're going to go through I-30 to I-35 to route 183/114 to get to the airport.

The airport is NOT in Fort Worth. It is not in Dallas either. It is its own "city" and built on land from four surrounding cities that are all suburbs of Dallas or FW.
Old Jul 25th, 2016, 11:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jayne ..yes the arboretum was what I meant! Yay!

Big russ
Thnx for the tips ! Will note them down in my travel diary !
Old Aug 30th, 2016, 11:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all...
back now!
Really enjoyed Dallas and the JFK museum
Very moving experience- confronting, too

Grapevine is a super town and we loved browing through the shops there
The heat was something else in Miami and Key west so Dallas was cool in comparison..only 78 F in august

Didn't visit the arboretum...only the museum and grapevine

Loved the Homewood suites...missed the breakfast because there was a power failure but got a good breakfast at the local dennys

Homewood suites are very comfortable..we had two bedrooms , a lounge with a comfortable couch, a good kitchenette and two bathrooms
fabulous
great value for the 169 usd
really great welcome by a super staff

Texas really intrigued us and I was sorry we only had that evening and day
but it was a high note and we will come back to give Texas another proper go

Didn't really get Miami
Prefer Fort Lauderdale cos its more open in the way its hotels are facing the beach
loved Key west
naples was very cute
didn't do the everglades...just drove the tamiami trail

all in all a great lil two week trip>
and the Orlando/ Disneyworld week was fab! ill never recommend august but we had not choice
Old Aug 31st, 2016, 09:27 AM

Glad you had a good time in the Dallas area, lanejohann. You really scored a win with the weather! It could easily have been 100 degrees.

Sounds like a great trip!