Reload this Page >

One more NYC jazz club question!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Cheryl

Staying in midtown (Marriott Marquis) and "narrowed" down my choices for jazz next Saturday to the following:

Blue Note (Jimmy Smith Quartet)
Village Vanguard (Branford Marsalis)
Iridium (Benny Green Trio)
Jazz Standard (Steve Lacy Trio)
BB King Blues Club (Billy Preston & Sam Moore - actually more blues than jazz)

Can anyone give their recommendations or thoughts on the above choices? I'm also open to opinions on the artists, as I am not familiar with Jimmy Smith, Benny Green or Steve Lacy groups. Thanks!

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 01:04 PM
Owen O'Neill

If a plush, comfortable settign with great line of sight to the stage and excellent acoustics are a factor in your decision, I'd go with BB King's. Cover charge and drink prices are likely to be less than Iridium or the Blue Note and you won't be packed in as tightly as folks are at most other clubs (BTW, the Bottom Line is the absolute worst for crowded seating). Some of the other clubs may have a greater ambaince than BB King's - it is larger and has a somewhat a less intimate feel but it's my favorite venue in NYC for any kind of music. The food is actually reasonably good too although IMO a bit overpriced.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 04:15 PM
xxx

For cheap ($10 cover) great jazz, check out Short's - open all night and is in the Village. But be prepared for a dive. And you bring in your own drinks and snacks.

I also went and enjoyed some great jazz in Harlem. Just make sure to take a taxi at night!

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 08:16 AM
dougd

Jimmy Smith is the undisputed king of the Hammond organ, and has been for the past 40 years. This might be a tough one to get into!

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 11:23 AM
Cheryl

Doug: Thanks for your input. Would you recommend either Benny Green Trio (at Iridium) or Steve Lacy Trio (at Jazz Standard)? Otherwise, I'm thinking of going to the BBKing club.