Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

One Great Meal in Boston. Any Suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Jason

I am going to Boston in two weeks. We would like to go out one night, dress up, and have a nice meal. What restaurant would you suggest, for about a $50 meal (excluding drinks). No chains like Ruth's Chris. Something you can only get in Boston.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Laurie

I ate at a great restaurant called Pignoli when I was there a few years ago.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 03:41 PM
rey

Oleana in cambridge is excellent. Its a small restaurant with outstanding carefully prepared food. Make a reservation in advance.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 03:41 PM
PW

Many great places to eat in Boston. What type of food do you like? Check out zagat.com for restaurant reviews

I like Olives --mediterranean food-- but there's always a wait. Also great is The Vault (American food with great wine list in an old bank vault; elegant). The Bay Tower has great views and good food.

If you like French, try Radius (chic, minimalist decor) or L'espalier (probably considered Boston's best restaurant; beautiful and elegant decor; will cost more than $50/person).

My favorite is to go for Italian. Try Assaggio (creative jewel in the North End); Dom's; Saracenos (upscale Italian with old-world feel); and Mamma Maria (upscale Northern Italian in a quaint brownstone).

Have fun!

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Steve

Try Anthony's Pier. It's Boston's legendary seafood restaurant. You'll recognize that the minute you walk in the door and see all the photos of the 80year old owner (Anthony) with famous celebrities and politicians.

It has great views, lively but not too obnoxious atmosphere, and the food - well, how can you mess up seafood?

When I lived in Boston, every out-of-towner I took there loved it.

(PW's North End suggestions are pretty good too.)

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 04:28 PM
mary beth

Go to Hammersley's Bistro. Have the lemon rotiesserie checking. Its out of this world. I live in Texas and visit Boston occasionally. that's where I go for big nights out...

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 06:02 AM
Paul

Dearest Steve: I don't know how long ago you lived in Boston, but Anthony's Pier 4 is not what it used to be, in any way whatsoever. Jason, that's the last place you should go.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 10:46 AM
xxxxx

Regarding Anthony's Pier 4 please read the forum messages posted on www.phantomgourmet.com before even considering eating there!!

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Wendy

We ate at Anthony's and I was NOT impressed. The lobster was overdone, service mediocre and it's way over priced.

Mama Maria's was by far our favorite and best meal in Boston. We also really liked the Union and Legal's (though I realize the last is a chain it was our 2nd best meal- the newer one in the theater area)

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Seamus

You can't go wrong with going to the North End. Looks for the lines..a good tell tale as to if it has good food or not! North Five Square is my favorite.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 06:39 AM
bostonite

Olives is typically thought of as the most "popular" restaurant for a great dinner in Boston.

My favorite place in the North End is Sage. It's tiny, but it has that "special" quality about it that other N. End establishments don't have. (Keep in mind that most other North End restaurants are great, but they are more low key than what you are looking for)

Try the South End for the tops in trendy and food. Hammersly's is always a good bet or Mistral for simpler but sophisticated food in a beautifuly set dining room.

Something like Mantra is uber-trendy and also has received good reviews in downtown crossing. It's a French/Indian mix.

Other places like Pier 4 and The Union Oyster House are places for tourists and basically every person that I know who lives in Boston hasn't or won't dine there.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Steve

Ok, ok! I knew Anthony's would be controversial but sheesh! Just go to the North End and you're sure to get a good, satisfying, unique meal.

Seriously, though, why such a strong reaction on Anthony's? Most people would just ignore a suggestion but this one provoked such rebuke. I honestly don't know whether to chalk it up to mild snobbery or whether it's really that bad and I and all the local celebrities I saw there missed it. (No offense meant on the 'snobbery' comment, just don't have time to come up with a better characterization.)

I guess every town has one, huh? In NYC, it would be Tavern On The Green? I thought it was overpriced and the food was lame.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Dick

Steve, it's not that Anthony's is so bad, it's just that it's not particularly good either and there are so many other better options in Boston, especially if someone is only in town for a single night and looking for something special (though admittedly it's hard to get too special for $50). Actually, I eat at Anthony's regularly but my reason is a bit different than most - I have a group of colleagues and business associates that gets together ever fews months for a wine & cigars dinner, which is now difficult to do in Boston with the new anti-smoking law. At Anthony's we can get a private room and enjoy our cigars with some of the most reasonably priced properly mature wines still available in the city. We go there in spite of, rather than because of the food.

The North End is always dependable, though I think it's easier to get a good meal than a great one. As someone mentioned earlier, the South End is where the action is in Boston, restaurant-wise. We recently had an outstanding dinner at Tremont 647, but if I were allowed only one last meal you'd find me at Hamersley's, no doubt about it.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 10:52 AM
sandy

Olives
Cantina Italiana (North End)
Mamma Maria (North End)
Durgin Park (Fanueil Hall)
Union Oyster House (Fanueil Hall area)
Gotta say it- Legal Seafoods- I know it's elsewhere, but best Legal's are in Boston area
Have fun!

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 12:32 PM
mark

Radius - while trendy - receives incredible reviews.