One Dinner in Portland

Search

One Dinner in Portland

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2005, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One Dinner in Portland

I will be in Portland for business the evening of April 11... a Monday night and would love to have a quiet relaxing dinner in a local restaurant (not a chain)
where I could have a great glass of wine and perhaps enjoy a good book.

I will be staying downtown at the Paramount and prefer to walk to dinner, although I will have a car if it is absolutely necessary. (Needs to be a safe area. Is this a safe area?)

I like most foods except Japanese. (No flames, please!)

Old Mar 31st, 2005, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Oregon! Portland, Oregon!

Sorry!
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 08:36 PM

The "enjoy a good book" deal might be a problem, but from you've got a few good choices within a short walk of the Paramount. Higgins might be your best bet. They serve consistently good food made from fresh local ingredients in a comfortable atmosphere. SouthPark Seafood Grill would be another good choice. Again, fresh, local ingredients, prepared with a bit of mediterranean style. Then there's the restaurant in the Heathman, a long-time favorite of many locals. You can google for more info on these places.

No worries about safety of location.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 10:39 PM

their...there...what was I thinking?

Check out their website if you want to see the type of fare they serve.

www.higgins.com
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 10:48 PM

Somehow my earlier post was eaten...so my first one makes no sense out of context.

I agree with beachbum's recommnedation for Higgins.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 12:06 AM

I'd also say Higgins.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 11:46 AM

Hi moneygirl! I believe you were the one who helped me with my first visit to SB in December!

We just dined at Higgins last Fri. night. It was very good, tho I thought the food and menu selections at Park Kitchen were much better. If you decide on Higgins and you like salmon, I would highly recommend the salmon special if they still have it.

We also enjoyed our lunch at Wildwood very much. Higgins was very full and a bit noisy on a Fri. night but since you're going on a Mon. night, it may be quiet for your book reading.

I toured the Paramount and it's very nice. I thought the rooms were well appointed and it's in a great location. I especially like the lobby area and it's so close to all that great shopping! Enjoy Portland! ***kim***
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Okay... so I'm headed to Higgins! The Higgins it is! Thanks for all of your comments, especially you Kim, for telling me my hotel should be okay! it's only for one night, so it should be fine. I'm happy to hear that it's in a safe, convenient location! I'll post about my meal when I return.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 06:15 PM

Yeah, the Paramount is in a nice location. On your way up to Higgins, walk past South Park, which is a block from your hotel on Park at Salmon St, just to check out the menu. That would be a great alternative to Higgins if they're booked up or something.

I think the restaurant at the hotel is a sushi place; even if you don't eat there, check out their cool fish tanks!

Andrew
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 12:48 PM

It's the Dragonfish Asian Cafe, we didn't have a chance to eat there but I looked in at the place and it was very nice.

We had a great lunch at Pho Van Viatnamese Bistro which I would highly recommend in the Pearl! ***kim***
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 01:13 PM

When we ate at Higgins the food was OK but the place was noisy and we were crammed into a little table sitting on little chairs.