One day on Big Island

Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One day on Big Island

My wife and I have 6 nights free in Honolulu, but wish to fly out to see the Big Island for one day. We plan on leaving on the first flight out in the morning and return on the last flight back at night. My question is whether to fly into Hilo and out of the other airport or vice versa. The posts seem to indicate to see the lava at night, but I am wondering if indeed we will be there late enough to see the flow at night. What sights would you suggest seeing and in what order would you see them? Thanks so much.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 03:16 PM

http://www.fishbowltours.com/ These guys do several Big Island day tours, and they can also arrange your airfare to the Big Island. I used them to go from BI to Oahu for the day, and it was great! I generally don;t like bus tours, but if you only have one day, that would probaby be your best option.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 03:23 PM

If your goal is to see the volcano, fly in and out of Hilo. The only other major airport on the island is north of Kailua, which is a 2.5-3 hour drive from both Hilo and the volcano.

Nighttime lava viewing is definitely preferable, but practically impossible on a day trip. Getting to the lava is not a drive-up affair -- there's also a long hike involved.

If you can spare just one day consider a helicopter tour of the Big Island instead. You'll get a much better overview of the island in a lot less time.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 04:45 PM

If you going to see the volcano/lava. Hilo would be the better choice.

However; The last flights [inter-island] usually are around 7-8p.m.

Also early morning flights into Hilo are usually booked.

Plan early, make your reservations, and check the airlines schedules.

www.RobertsOvernighters.com specailizes in one day trips between islands.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 08:19 PM

We just got home today and spent two nights on the BI as part of our two weeks... although it is a long day, I would advise the Circle Island Tour... you can never possibly read all the interesting info that you get from the driver during this 10 hour journey, with stops at the Volcano National park as well as 10 or twelve other key points. Many tour operators offer the bus and air package... although we were tired, I feel that we covered as much of BI as I needed to....