One day in Paris

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One day in Paris

I am traveling to Venice and Trieste, Italy on business with my husband and 11 month old son. On the way back home to the US, we arrive in Paris at noon and don't fly out until 10:15am the next day. Please tell me what I must see, where we should stay, the one place we must eat... We know we'd like to see the Eiffel Tower at night. Thanks!
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 07:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I can give you some info -- BUT you will be much better off if you post this on the Europe forum.

(For just one day the hop-on-hop-off ParisVision open top buses are a great overview)
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 02:12 PM

I agree with the hop on hop off bus. Stand on the Pont Neuf bridge and jusy soak up Paris, then find a cafe and a cup of coffee or glass of wine and watch the people.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 02:17 PM

If you like impresionist art, the musée d'Orsay is outstanding!

Take awalk along and a cruise on the Seine.

Keith
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 08:00 PM

Just got back from my first trip to Paris....

I was stunned by the Notre Dame Cathedral!!! You must see it! Even if you are not into churches, this is an extraordinary building! Learn the history, it really is cool. The Eiffel Tower of course is a must!

The Batobus (boat taxi) is an easy way to take in a lot of sights. It makes about seven stops at tourist destinations up and down the Seine. I think it was around 11 Euros per person and you can ride it all day. The boats arrive at each port every fifteen minutes or so. You just hop on and hop off as you please. You can buy your tickets and get on right across from the Eiffel Tower and it will take you all the way up to the Cathedral - right by Pont Neuf (the oldest bridge in Paris).

We stayed at the Eiffel Rive Gauche on the left bank within walking distance from the Eiffel Tower. Small rooms, good rates, clean, safe area.

www.eiffelrivegauche.com

Have fun!
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 09:20 AM

BTW: On such a short trip, I wouldn't take the time to go up in the Tower.

Keith
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 10:12 AM

I agree with jendirt. We just got back from our first trip to Paris and loved the Notre Dame. The setting is just beautiful. There are some great restaurants and cafe's around it and would be a great way to spend a few hours. And while your at Notre Dame, definitely check out the stained glass in St. Chapelle...gorgeous!

The Eiffel Tower is gorgeous but best viewed at night when its all lit up. You could take a boat ride along the Siene and get some great views, and they are only about an hour long, which should be easy for a child.

Enjoy!
Tracy
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 10:26 AM

Take the citirama city lights tour which includes (or did when we went) dinner in the Eiffel Tower! It's not the Jules Verne, but it's still good. Stay in that area if poss for easy walk home that night. Other Fodorites can give you hotel names.
If you like Churches: St. Chapelle and Notre Dame
If you like Impressionist art: Musee D'Orsay
If you like outdoors: Walk from Arch de Triomphe to Louvre-lots to see along the way. Or along the Seine and end up at Luxembourg gardens
If you like intimate settings: Rodin and Jacquemart-Andre musees
OR just go back and stay longer!!! Enjoy!
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 10:38 AM

Oh I'm soo jealous!! We were booked to travel to Trieste to visit family in May but had to postpone due to sons illness. Plan to go in a year or so. Please post on your return where you stayed and what you thought of Trieste and of course Venice! Thanks!!
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 11:09 AM

Editors,

Can you move this thread to the Europe board where it belongs?

Thanks,

Bill
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 11:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
khill, cut and paste it on the Europe board but leave the entrtries like this cut out.