Search

one day in new york

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 10:21 AM
butch

one day in new york

We are leaving Wash DC early on a FRi. morning and driving to Providence. We want to stop and park and go see the empire state bldg. and the statue of liberty, then get back on the road later that evening and drive on to Providence. Would like some places to park, best way to get to empire & staue(transporation&route)about how long it would take and best route into NYC and out to get to Providence.

Thank you very much

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 10:33 AM
liveby jfk

Hi Butch:
Wow you are trying to pack alot of stuff into a day. Especially on a Friday! I assume I-95 up right?. Well you could park in the city but it is very expensive. I would suggest parking in Queens or the Bronx and taking the subway to the sites you wasnt to see. Post some more info and just for the record I think you are talking 3-5 hours depending on traffic from NYC to Providence

Old Sep 4th, 2000, 03:08 AM
Poster

You can only get to the Statue by Ferry,
Battery Park in MAnhattan or, I think, Liberty Park in NJ. In my opinion only a lunatic or a person with Ice Water for blood would consider driving in Manhattan.

Old Sep 4th, 2000, 03:38 AM
Char

oh boy..i hope it's not THIS Friday. they are having the heads of state meeting at the UN and lots of streets will be closed.

also, you are trying trying to do too much in a short period of time especially in NY. There is far too much traffic and lines and all to do more than MAYBE one thing, and that's cutting it close. Good luck!

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 04:26 AM
Neal Sanders

Butch, this is not a good plan. On a Saturday or Sunday, driving straight through,it is seven hours from Washington DC to Providence. I know; I've made the drive many times. On a Friday, you need to add an hour for the northern stretch of the New Jersey Turnpike and GW Bridge approaches, and another hour for the Greenwich/Stamford/Bridgeport stretch of I-95.

If you choose to drive, make it a weekend. If you must drive on a Friday, leave DC about 9 a.m. so that you will time your arrival at the GW Bridge about 1 p.m., when traffic is lightest. That should put you in Providence around 4 p.m.

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 04:39 AM
Neal Sanders

If you absolutely have to go into Manhattan, do it this way: take the eastern spur of the New Jersey Turnpike and take the exit for the Lincoln Tunnel, timing your arrival for after 11 a.m. The tunnel will dump you off in Manhattan in the 30's around 10th Avenue. There are many park & lock lots in the area (around $14), take the first one you see, and start walking east. The Empire State Building is at 34th St. and 5th Avenue. You can't miss it.

To get to the Statue of Liberty, walk west one block on 34th Street to the intersection of Broadway and the Avenue of the Americas. This is Herald Square, Macys is in front of you, and the Herald Square subway station in below you. Go downstairs, take the N or the R train to Whitehall/South Ferry. The entrance to Battery Park will be self-evident, the Staten Island Ferry terminus is to your left, on the water. The ferry will give you a great view of the Statue of Liberty, plus the opportunity to say you've been to Staten Island.

Take the Ferry back, reverse directions on the N/R train, retrieve your car, and drive west to the Hudson River. Turn right. The road turns into the West Side Highway, a pleasant parkway, above 60th Street. Watch for the signs for I-95 North about 181st Street. If it's after 3 p.m., you'll spend an extra hour in traffic, but you should be to Providence by 7 p.m. or thereabouts.