? on wilderness cabins

Aug 31st, 2004, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

? on wilderness cabins

My husband and I plan to visit Alaska for the first time in June. We plan to vist Denali NP, Kenai Fjords, Homer. We are also looking for a cabin in the wilderness to just
sit, relax and do nothing for a few days. I have seen pictures of cabins next to a lake with beautiful glacier mountains as a backdrop. Can someone suggest a place like that? Or do they only exist in my dream world? Appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!
Aug 31st, 2004, 01:24 PM

We stayed at a wonderful cabin in Trapper Creek about 45 minutes from Talkeetna.
http://www.gatecreekcabins.com/
The cabins were well stocked with bedding and kitchenware. All we needed to bring was food. We were warned that there weren't any nearby restaurants. These cabins are popular with snowmobilers etc. The cabin had a nice deck overlooking a small pond with a distant view of Mt McKinley across the pond. The view was a bit obscured by trees. It was a bit isolated and we were told that there were bears and moose around. You will probably find other cabins to choose from if you request vacation literature. It doesn't take many miles to be out in the woods. If you find something around Homer or Seward you might enjoy privacy but still be able to eat in a restaurant. I think the nearest good sized grocery store to Trapper Creek is in Wasilla. Talkeetna has a very small grocery store and a small natural foods store.
I think you can go to the Anchorage Daily News website www.adn.com for vacation planning assistance. The wildflowers were beautiful in June and moose calves were still pretty small. The salmon were running.
Aug 31st, 2004, 04:11 PM

For a list of cabins available on forest service and BLM lands in alaska go to www.firstgov.gov/ and in the search field put Alaska cabins.
Aug 31st, 2004, 05:34 PM

Our two favorite spots in Alaska were our stays at Denali Backcountry Lodge and Kenai Backcountry Lodge. In Kenai, you get there by a several hour raft trip, then across a lake, miles from civilization. There is a smallish old fishing/hunting lodge for meals, and a number of tent/cabins. Most of them share a bathhouse. It is truly a wonderful experience. These two places were far from cheap, but all inclusive and easily worth every penny!!

See www.alaskawildland.com
Sep 1st, 2004, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your suggestions. Much appreciated!