On Night in Chicago!

Sep 8th, 2001, 12:19 PM
M Nielsen

On Night in Chicago!

I am travelling to Chicago on business for one night. Since I have never been, I would like to get out and see at least something. Any suggestions?

Sep 8th, 2001, 02:54 PM
holly

It would be very helpful if you could give us some parameters in terms of your interests - with only one night i don't want to point you in the wrong direction.

Sep 9th, 2001, 06:08 PM
M Nielsen

Well, I am open to a lot of different things. I enjoy art and architecture, eating, ballet/dance, and don't mind walking. I am staying at the Merchandise Mart (not sure if you know where that is, I don't). Is is safe to go walking in the evening alone in that area? Or is Chicago a cab town? I am pretty sure that museums are out of the question, since I will only have the evening. Would love a suggestion for a nice restaurant with a nice view perhaps. I am a vegetarian that eats fish, and therefore a steak house would not be a good idea. Thanks for your feedback.

Sep 9th, 2001, 06:24 PM
Donna

For seafood you should try "Catch 35", its at 35 W Wacker which is very close to the Merch. Mart. Its been rated as one of the best seafood restaurants here in Chicago. For entertainment "The House of Blues" is very close too, walking distance I think for both.

Sep 10th, 2001, 08:18 AM
patg

The Art Institute is open on Tuesday nights until 8 p.m. if you are lucky enough to have that as your one day.

Riva's Restaurant on Navy Pier has good fish and lovely views. Rivers has a varied menu with fish and a pleasant setting on the Chicago River south of the Opera House.

For dance, look up performance schedules on chicagoreader.com or metromix.com and check hottix.com for half-price, day-of-sale tickets. Good dance performances are kind of spotty in Chicago - the Joffrey has a short fall season coming up; the National Ballet of Cuba will also appear briefly at the Auditorium Theatre. Hubbard Street Dance and River North Dance are always enjoyable groups to watch, but again, performances are too few and far between.

Your hotel is in a perfectly safe area, but away from the tourist meccas. A cab is a safe bet at night if you are alone, but walking is the best way to see the city. You are close to the home furnishings center of the city and to the remaining art galleries in River North; most of these would be closed at night, but you never know. There are plenty of restaurants and clubs in that area to tempt you to come out. Walk to Jazz Showcase and/or Andy's for top-quality, unpretentious jazz, Blues Chicago for daily blues performances.

Sep 10th, 2001, 08:03 PM
M Nielsen

Pat and Donna - thanks for your replies.

Holly - what happened to you? I gave you parameters!

Thanks, Malynnda

Sep 13th, 2001, 07:11 PM
m nielsen

Well, thanks for your input, but my company cancelled my business travel in light of the recent tragedy. I am so relieved, and hope to make it Chicago for more than just one night - some safer day in the future. - Malynnda